U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 PM

1,068 posts, read 625,568 times

Advertisements

I don't think any more information will improve your options. Your best bet for now is West Chester. Since you are not buying, sign up a 1 year lease and then you can change locations once you figure your way around. This would be the least painful option.

You're better off being stuck in West Chester for 1 year than in Philly. You want to be at your best when starting a new job rather than getting stressed over a bad commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
Bump, looking for more responses as time draws close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

109 posts, read 33,481 times
I believe the responses made it pretty clear: West Chester is your best option. Media and Wilmington (Trolley Square, specifically) are decent alternatives, although living in Delaware and working in PA complicates your tax situation. Philadelphia creates logistical problems if you're working in Chadds Ford.

Unless you can provide additional information about what your interests are (i.e. we don't even know if you drink), it's on you to research this short list and see which fits you best.

All that being said, if you researched the above options and didn't like any, I will throw Kennett Square into the mix too. It's a slightly easier commute to Chadds Ford than West Chester, and is joked as being West Chester if the college didn't exist. Kennett Square has about half the bars as West Chester and less twenty-somethings (which is why I didn't recommend it originally).

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

943 posts, read 1,088,923 times
I just noticed your job is in Chaddsford, not Philly.

Since night life is not a big thing for you, it's worth seeing if you can find something reasonable at areas such as Hockessin, DE and Talleyville, DE. I don't know the prices out there, but DE is generally cheaper than PA. Although at least some DE areas that border PA are really nice partially because the PA areas there are comparably affluent too.

West Chester is your best option financially and very viable for PA.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

601 posts, read 367,632 times
I'll reiterate that West Chester is your best bet at this point. I used to live in the Metropolitan apartments (when it was called Tall Trees) and I was happy there. It's an easy walk to downtown (I lived in one of the back buildings so was able to cut through behind the apartments to get into town without having to walk all the way out Marshall Street to High Street). You should check them out: https://www.yourmetropolitan.com/fin.../west-chester/

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

124 posts, read 91,188 times
Yeah, I don't know how many more times you need people to tell you West Chester. If you're working in Chadds Ford, it makes the most sense. Media is nice and all, but it skews a little older, and Philly, I'm sorry, is too damn far and the traffic is too horrendous (especially on 322) to drive every day. Trust us on this one, for a young guy, WC is a good place to be.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

So far, all we know about you is your job, your age, that you enjoy saving money, and you "don't go out like crazy". How about you prioritize the following list of criteria, and we tell you what place fits you the most:
1) Low Cost of living
2) Short commute to your work (Chadds Ford)
3) Being within walking-distance of bars and restaurants
4) Being around people your own age
5) General affluence of the area you live in
6) Setting (please specify between urban, suburban or rural)

Maybe the disconnect (and frustration) is that fact that all the responders are forced to project their own preferences onto you, as we know hardly anything about you. Do you have any specific interests? What would you like to do after work, or on your typical weekend?

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 16,844 times
That's true, I haven't really listed what's most important to me. Probably cost of living combined with being around people my age are the most important factors for me. A diverse area would be good too, I'm Indian myself. I don't see myself doing too much during the weekdays after work because I'm usually too tired to do much other than cook or go to the gym. I'm pretty lowkey and simple, but would like to meet people and develop a good circle of friends, which I realize will take time and effort like anywhere. Also, I'm probably going back to school part-time for my Masters but not extremely soon, so I have time to figure out which University is right for me.

As far as the type of area, either urban or suburban are probably best. I've pretty much ruled out Philly because of the distance for now. I think my plan is just try to experience it on the weekends whenever I can, by taking the SEPTA routes. The place that I'm looking at right now is actually in Boothwyn, which isn't the most happening area but it's pretty cheap. I think I might just end up living there for a year, get more acclimated to the area via driving or riding the train, and move somewhere after. I think I'll avoid Delaware because of the complications with dealing with the taxes.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

There aren't many people your age where saving money is their top priority, so good for you. In that case, Boothwyn actually makes a lot of sense. As you said, Boothwyn is not a happening area. It has a lot of blue collar families, with not many people in your age group that you can relate with. However, if you want to save as much money as possible, it is relatively safe and I can understand your reasoning. The further south you go, the closer you get to the oil refineries, where things tend to get dirtier and rougher.

Be aware, though, that 322 is under construction and will be for multiple years. The road is still open for traffic, but it will be slow. After the construction is complete (years from now), the road will be widened and traffic will move great. There are alternate routes that may be better for getting to Chadds Ford, but they're less direct.

In summary, you will save money living in Boothwyn, but I fear you'll be wasting some of your prime years with little to do. You're only young once, but I understand that saving money is important too.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

21 posts, read 16,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
There aren't many people your age where saving money is their top priority, so good for you. In that case, Boothwyn actually makes a lot of sense. As you said, Boothwyn is not a happening area. It has a lot of blue collar families, with not many people in your age group that you can relate with. However, if you want to save as much money as possible, it is relatively safe and I can understand your reasoning. The further south you go, the closer you get to the oil refineries, where things tend to get dirtier and rougher.

Be aware, though, that 322 is under construction and will be for multiple years. The road is still open for traffic, but it will be slow. After the construction is complete (years from now), the road will be widened and traffic will move great. There are alternate routes that may be better for getting to Chadds Ford, but they're less direct.

In summary, you will save money living in Boothwyn, but I fear you'll be wasting some of your prime years with little to do. You're only young once, but I understand that saving money is important too.
Yeah, that is true. The only thing I can think of is go to the more vibrant places (Media, Philly) during the weekend when I can. I know I'm not going to have the commodity of have a nightclub or bar a mile away from me haha. I think worst case scenario is I'll spend a year there working a new job in a new area, and just see if it works out. I'm not planning on moving back to Florida lol, but I guess you never know. Hopefully after a year I'll have more time and actually be able to physically see all of these areas and pick a place that fits me.

It's a year of my life worst case scenario if I just can't stand it.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

601 posts, read 367,632 times
Several people have mentioned West Chester but you haven't mentioned it in any of your replies. Are you not interested? That's fine if that's the case, but I'd be curious why you wouldn't at least check it out.

Here's a great website: Downtown West Chester PA - West Chester BID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia