Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
Yeah, that is true. The only thing I can think of is go to the more vibrant places (Media, Philly) during the weekend when I can. I know I'm not going to have the commodity of have a nightclub or bar a mile away from me haha. I think worst case scenario is I'll spend a year there working a new job in a new area, and just see if it works out. I'm not planning on moving back to Florida lol, but I guess you never know. Hopefully after a year I'll have more time and actually be able to physically see all of these areas and pick a place that fits me.

It's a year of my life worst case scenario if I just can't stand it.
You might consider seeing who is advertising for roommates. It's not uncommon for two or three friends to rent a place and one moves for a new job or gets married, etc... This sometimes happens with my rentals and the remaining two often go online and recruit a third person. This would by far be your most affordable option as you'd be splitting the rent and bills two or three ways. You also get an immediate social scene with your new roomies as well as a bigger and nicer house in a much more desirable location. When interviewing and being interviewed by your potential roommates you can very easily figure out if you'd like them and what their style/habits are like. I've known people that have done this with other young professionals that seldom even saw their roommates during the week so they basically had a whole house to themselves. I've also known people who have met lifelong friends from situations like this. Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
I don't think to live in Philly and saving a "good amount" go in the same sentence. Commuting to Chadds Ford and back every day is a $400 a month expense no matter how you cut it. OP's net is around $3200. You'll be pinching pennies.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,645 times
We suggest you do it! Sounds like a great start!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:24 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
58,000? I never made that in my life. I'd be living like a King. Come on now!

Old 02-07-2021, 06:16 PM

37 posts, read 53,072 times
UPDATE: I just logged back into this website for the first time in two years and wanted to share my experience if it helps anyone out. I moved to a small town right outside of West Chester, PA two years ago. It was an alright experience overall. I got super lucky with housing and the place I found.

The culture shock was huge and something I was never really able to get over, coming from Florida. I met some good people here since moving. The pace of life is super fast and I was just never really able to get used to being around Philadelphia, especially the driving. The climate was also rough on me, having a field job some days and being out there in that cold weather was very tough.

Overall, I don't know if I made the right decision or not. I don't think being in the small town I am was really the right way to spend my mid 20's (although it worked out and I can't complain too much). I've decided now that I've passed my exam and my job isn't giving me any pay increases to look at life elsewhere (more down south like Texas, etc.). I appreciate all the advice you guys gave me two years ago.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:17 AM

9,339 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
UPDATE: I just logged back into this website for the first time in two years and wanted to share my experience if it helps anyone out. I moved to a small town right outside of West Chester, PA two years ago. It was an alright experience overall. I got super lucky with housing and the place I found.

The culture shock was huge and something I was never really able to get over, coming from Florida. I met some good people here since moving. The pace of life is super fast and I was just never really able to get used to being around Philadelphia, especially the driving. The climate was also rough on me, having a field job some days and being out there in that cold weather was very tough.

Overall, I don't know if I made the right decision or not. I don't think being in the small town I am was really the right way to spend my mid 20's (although it worked out and I can't complain too much). I've decided now that I've passed my exam and my job isn't giving me any pay increases to look at life elsewhere (more down south like Texas, etc.). I appreciate all the advice you guys gave me two years ago.
Thanks for checking back in. I think you would have enjoyed living in West Chester a lot more than outside of it, but that wouldn’t have solved your other concerns, and not every place is for everybody.

If this was the best job offer you had, and you feel it’s helped you professionally and personally, then it seems that you made the right decision at the time. Best of luck, and I hope that the next place you live is a better match!

Old 02-08-2021, 07:34 AM

840 posts, read 693,576 times
Quote:

Just curious, did you get a chance to visit Media, West Chester bar scene ? I think there is a balance to the weather here. I've lived in NYC and Michigan, Michigan had awesome people but the winters can be cold. Winters here in Philly arent too bad at all, the current snow conditions are more than I've seen in last 6-7 years (as far as not melting yet). My son is an Engineer as well (well just graduated anyways) and has been looking for jobs in PA/NY and there are many to choose from.

I'd say before committing to Texas or somewhere south you may want to fly down and spend a weekend and check out the vibe, you may find that Philly has grown on you more than you know. I'm an avid outdoorsman and I will say that Philly has a great mountain bike scene, great skiu resorts within a 1-2 hour drive and great hiking, not to mention the shore towns.

I have been a bit critical of some northeast rude (ish) behavior, but it seems to be secular by town and area here more so than the state as a whole

Old 02-08-2021, 10:15 AM

86 posts, read 60,892 times
I think you will do just fine on a $60,000 salary in Philadelphia and in some cases better than other cities. I started my career in San Francisco making $38,000 in 2012 and made it work with roommates. It was brutal when a vet bill, or car cost came up, but I was single and didn't have any other major responsibilities. I will say when I moved up to $60,000 a few years later (required a job change) I felt rich

Best advice, take advantage of the universities and colleges in the area. There are several top notch schools in Philadelphia. Find out where the students' eat. You can often find great food at a great price at places that have high student customer populations. You can also enjoy lower cost arts, music, theater, and sporting events. Secondly, stay active and enjoy everything the city has to offer. There are so many incredible parks, trails, and city walks to take in Philadelphia. Taking care of your health and happiness is one of the best things you can do for your finances.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:29 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Yes, OP, did you get to Media often? It seems that's it's not really that you "didn't like" your area. You'd said you wanted a city feel, so I'm curious as to what you expected? Separately, though, I do understand if you weren't crazy about winters up here.

I don't think you ever said where you moved from in Florida. Couldn't have been Miami, because that city has plenty of fast-paced everything going on.

Good luck. Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:55 PM

37 posts, read 53,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yes, OP, did you get to Media often? It seems that's it's not really that you "didn't like" your area. You'd said you wanted a city feel, so I'm curious as to what you expected? Separately, though, I do understand if you weren't crazy about winters up here.

I don't think you ever said where you moved from in Florida. Couldn't have been Miami, because that city has plenty of fast-paced everything going on.

Good luck. Thanks for the update and keep us posted.
I'm originally from Tampa, FL. I know I had said I wanted a city feel, I just didn't know what to expect myself. Navigating around the city of Philly was challenging for me the few times I did it, just because it wasn't a very car friendly city for me.

But really above all else it's more about my career than the city. Yes, the winters were tough but really it's more of a career move for me to get out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia