Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 AM

7 posts, read 6,216 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I are planning to move to Philly. We really love the city and are thinking of living in South Jersey, particularly Collingswood. (We are coming from South Africa).

My question is a cultural one. How much is the South Jersey area considered to be part of Philadelphia, culturally? Sure, geographically and on paper it seems Camden county etc. falls under Philly, but do people see it that way on the ground?

We very much want to be "part" of Philly, and are thinking Jersey because of the close proximity and easier commute. Do people in S.Jersey also consider themselves Philadelphians? Do Philadelphians consider those from South Philly to be Philadelphians too?

The question is important to us simply so we can understand the social dynamic and figure out how to make friends, do business etc.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
You might want to ask that question in the South Jersey forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 6,216 times
Yeah, wanted to hear what people in Philly thought as well as those in SJ. .

Old 11-13-2018, 11:01 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatGuy View Post
Hi everyone,

My family and I are planning to move to Philly. We really love the city and are thinking of living in South Jersey, particularly Collingswood. (We are coming from South Africa).

My question is a cultural one. How much is the South Jersey area considered to be part of Philadelphia, culturally? Sure, geographically and on paper it seems Camden county etc. falls under Philly, but do people see it that way on the ground?

We very much want to be "part" of Philly, and are thinking Jersey because of the close proximity and easier commute. Do people in S.Jersey also consider themselves Philadelphians? Do Philadelphians consider those from South Philly to be Philadelphians too?

The question is important to us simply so we can understand the social dynamic and figure out how to make friends, do business etc.

Thanks everyone!
I’d say that the closer in suburbs of SJ (think tri county area in commuting distance, not so much the further more rural reaches of those counties in the Pine Barrens, further north closer to Trenton, and closer to Atlantic/Salem/Cumberland Counties) are very much part of Philadelphia culturally speaking, perhaps even more so than many PA suburbs because there aren’t many unique cultural institutions or distinctive areas in SJ when compared to PA burbs. So, the entire cultural fix comes from Philly, as opposed to Main Line towns like Villanova, Ardmore, and Devon or other places like Media and West Chester that offer culture themselves. You live in SJ and want to be entertained? You go to Philly. That’s where the good restaurants, bars, museums, shopping, and performance venues are at. Philly sports allegiance runs really high in SJ.

Collingswood is absolutely deep Philly territory, and residents there obviously consider Philadelphia “their” city. However, SJ also has a ton of people who moved down from North Jersey for cheaper housing and consider their roots to be NYC based. This is much more prevalent in SJ than in PA burbs, although parts of Bucks County have received lots of NYC and NJ transplants over past couple decades as well. It’s not hard to find people in Yankees hats in SJ. But Philly is still dominant, especially in Collingswood. Further north into Burlington County the NYC influence grows greater, even though Philly is still the main city overall. By and large, SJ identitfies strongly with Philly.

As for how Philadelphians view SJ and do they consider them part of Philly culturally...sure they do? They know it’s there, but they aren’t really going to SJ except to drive through it to get to the Shore, or the occasional concert in Camden or the aquarium, or to visit farms ad vineyards. There isn’t much reason for them to go otherwise, but Philadelphians would absolutely consider SJ part of their sphere of influence...SJ isn’t contributing to Philly culture though, but Philly does make the SJ culture, if that makes sense.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:05 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
It is all part of the greater "Delaware Valley". The Delaware River separates PA, and NJ. I greatly prefer the PA suburbs to South Jersey, however, but not for lack of "Phillyness".

Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM

91 posts, read 82,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
As for how Philadelphians view SJ and do they consider them part of Philly culturally...sure they do? They know it’s there, but they aren’t really going to SJ except to drive through it to get to the Shore, or the occasional concert in Camden or the aquarium, or to visit farms ad vineyards. There isn’t much reason for them to go otherwise, but Philadelphians would absolutely consider SJ part of their sphere of influence...SJ isn’t contributing to Philly culture though, but Philly does make the SJ culture, if that makes sense.
Well the Shore is in SJ, and is a popular getaway for Philly residents in the summer, and a number of Philly residents have second homes there. Those Action News people constantly are promoting that shore culture in the summer. The rest of SJ is suburbs mostly and contributes to Philly culture the same way Plymouth Meeting or suburbs west of Philly do. Camden is too impoverished to offer it's own culture that can contribute back into Philly. Another area Philly residents visit South Jersey for is the Cherry Hill Mall and the area stores. There are good restaurants and shopping within SJ, to one of your points.

But, one difference in the PA suburbs vs. SJ suburbs is a lot of SJ kids end up at Rutgers New Brunswick because of the in-state tuition, and eventually some lose their "Phillyness", when they move out of the area. Nonetheless, I find people here identify with Philly, much more than when I'm in the Baltimore suburbs of Maryland who identify with Baltimore.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
It may not literally be true, but sometimes I think half of the folks in south jersey, used to live in Philly.
So, yeah, there's plenty of connection.Some people in SJ -- all they do there is live there. The work in Philly, y still do all the entertainment, eating out, and socializing in Philly.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:05 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Do people in S.Jersey also consider themselves Philadelphians?
Doubt it. The people I know from SJ will usually say they are from Jersey. They will still pull for Philly sports teams and identify with the larger Delaware Valley cultural region, however.

Quote:
Do Philadelphians consider those from South Philly to be Philadelphians too?
No. No more than New Yorkers consider Jersey residents to be New Yorkers.

When someone is from South Jersey, the local media will typically say that. Take, for example, the way the press describes Kellyanne Conway.

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles received an invitation to the White House to celebrate their victory. Counselor to President Donald Trump and South Jersey-native Kellyanne Conway spoke to Eyewitness News about the invite, Philadelphia sports and National Prescription Drug Take Back Day.
Quote:
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Before she became Donald Trump’s campaign manager, South Jersey native Kellyanne Conway briefly tried stand-up comedy.
The local media often describes natives of the PA burbs differently.

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Philadelphia-native Bradley Cooper is back home this week to promote his new film, "A Star is Born."
Quote:
Newly-retired basketball superstar Kobe Bryant is a Philadelphia native and a long-time Eagles hype man.
Quote:
Comedian and writer Tina Fey is another Philadelphia native who roots for the home team. She loves the city so much that she wrote one of her signature characters, Liz Lemon from "30 Rock," to be a Philadelphia Eagles fan.
Bryant and Cooper were born in Philadelphia but Fey was not. She still gets to wear the badge of "Philly native" though. Go figure.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-13-2018 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 04:18 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!
South Philly is part of the City of Philadelphia so, yes, they are automatically Philadelphians.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
South Philly is part of the City of Philadelphia so, yes, they are automatically Philadelphians.
Haha. I missed that. I would hope that Philadelphians would consider South Philly residents to be Philadelphians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia