U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM

926 posts, read 653,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgen View Post
Agreed about the badlands. Some investors are buying up around that area but being a Philly native I can't see west of the El and north of Lehigh ever getting better. I won't have kids while living in Frankford. We're both entrepreneurs and moved to Fishtown long before anything cool showed up. We see Frankford with a lot of the same attributes that Fishtown had back 10 years ago. We're just trying to be ahead of the curve and be a part of another Philly neighborhood that used to be beautiful, making its return to its intended state.
I'm a Philly native as well, although I'm probably younger (23) than you since I'm technically Generation Z. I'm not sure about Fairhill, but I can definitely see the areas west of the El (Norris Square and West Kensington) becoming as revitalized as East Kensington. I walk through those areas frequently, and new homes are popping up at places I would have never imagined as a kid a decade ago: Front and Huntingdon, 5th and Norris, 4th and Cecil B. Moore, etc. I used to take the train into Temple before finding a place on campus, and I always used to look out the window and see how vacant Ludlow (approximately Girard to Cecil B. Moore, 9th to 6th Streets) was back in 2016. Two years later, and new housing is sprouting up everywhere in that neighborhood!

If we can keep the positive trends and job/population growth going, then the 2020s will be a very interesting decade for the city. I'm expecting Strawberry Mansion, East Parkside, Belmont, and parts of Kingsessing to undergo revitalization. There aren't explicitly bad parts of South Philly anymore, so I expect it to continue to densify and grow wealthier. I think that development will eventually jump across Lehigh Ave and reach at least Somerset Street, the area around Tioga will continue to become its own little enclave due to all the industrial loft conversions, and I believe that Frankford certainly has the bones to become revitalized. Cobbs Creek and some of the neighborhoods north of Market Street in West Philly will be interesting to watch, as will Germantown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 11:04 AM

160 posts, read 282,194 times
Last year I drove through Harrowgate on Tioga St and couldn't believe how much garbage and litter was on the streets, what a dump. I hope to never see have to pass that way again.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:19 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,534,070 times
Don't do it.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 2,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm a Philly native as well, although I'm probably younger (23) than you since I'm technically Generation Z. I'm not sure about Fairhill, but I can definitely see the areas west of the El (Norris Square and West Kensington) becoming as revitalized as East Kensington. I walk through those areas frequently, and new homes are popping up at places I would have never imagined as a kid a decade ago: Front and Huntingdon, 5th and Norris, 4th and Cecil B. Moore, etc. I used to take the train into Temple before finding a place on campus, and I always used to look out the window and see how vacant Ludlow (approximately Girard to Cecil B. Moore, 9th to 6th Streets) was back in 2016. Two years later, and new housing is sprouting up everywhere in that neighborhood!

If we can keep the positive trends and job/population growth going, then the 2020s will be a very interesting decade for the city. I'm expecting Strawberry Mansion, East Parkside, Belmont, and parts of Kingsessing to undergo revitalization. There aren't explicitly bad parts of South Philly anymore, so I expect it to continue to densify and grow wealthier. I think that development will eventually jump across Lehigh Ave and reach at least Somerset Street, the area around Tioga will continue to become its own little enclave due to all the industrial loft conversions, and I believe that Frankford certainly has the bones to become revitalized. Cobbs Creek and some of the neighborhoods north of Market Street in West Philly will be interesting to watch, as will Germantown.
Oh yea Norris Square & West Kensington is well on its way to becoming the next Olde Kensington/Ludlow. I'm mainly talking about the next move up - beyond the tracks and into El Campamento area and how we feel it may just jump right over K&A/Fairhill area. Eventually, all cities will follow the path of DC & Boston over the past decade where virtually the whole city has become revitalized.

With the number of people from our generations, millennials & gen Z, that are looking to live in a city, its bound to happen in Philly as well. Philly is just a laggard and it always has been

Old 12-28-2018, 11:46 AM

849 posts, read 341,100 times
Where are these millennials getting the money to buy 500k homes? Trust fund babies? Does sphilly have a lot of high paying jobs?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:25 AM

958 posts, read 1,092,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Where are these millennials getting the money to buy 500k homes? Trust fund babies? Does sphilly have a lot of high paying jobs?
I think so. Some people I run into talk big, but when I see the jobs they have, then it's unlikely they got it on their own even though they act like it.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:54 AM

3,728 posts, read 1,922,645 times
my father still lives in northwood and the houses there are still architecturally stable for lack of a better term. I do not like the influx of new yorkers like you say because they have their own "culture" and I think need to be reminded that this is philly not new york.

I hope frankford starts to change for the better in the next ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgen View Post
Highly doubt Fishtown will become a slum again in 10 years. Us millennials love public transportation and loathe cars. These neighborhoods back in the 1800s were beautiful. You're remembering them from a different era and I don't think you understand how these cycles actually run. My wife and I have no desire to buy new construction and share your hate for the sloppily built row homes of today. Our new house is a Victorian/Queen Anne built in the 40s that is in incredible shape and has been very well preserved.

Ten years from now Fishtown will be absurdly expensive, riddled with Whole Foods type businesses and a neighborhood mentioned in the ranks of Brooklyn's Williamsburg and Chicago's Wicker Park. Philly is just late to the game and will become just like Brooklyn/Boston/DC over the past decade where every new neighborhood was once deemed incredibly dangerous a few years ago. Who knows what Frankford will be 10 years from now but for us we don't see it getting any worse than it currently is with the constant influx of people buying up near the El. It started with NoLibs, then Fishtown, now Kensington. THIS is the cycle.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:39 AM

20,818 posts, read 22,390,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Itís a sheer numbers game as the millennials are a large generation so thereís bound to be several with high-paying jobs. Thereís also those currently owning and finding it advantageous to renovate their properties to try to attract somewhat better paying tenants. You have a bad record when it comes to real estate and relied on daddyís money when baby made his booboos, so I understand why you asked thoses questions and in the way you did. Itís okay, baby.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:39 PM

29 posts, read 13,722 times
What's interesting is that the ye olde American dream -- a house in the 'burbs, a station wagon, is fast dying, with the new breed, generations such as millennials and z, etc. If you live in certain suburbs today and are trying to sell, it's getting tougher because young couples today want the urban life, don't want the care and feeding of lawns etc, and would rather bike than own and care for a car when there's uber and lyft. the world as we know it is fast changing,

Old 01-01-2019, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 2,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGLES99 View Post
What's interesting is that the ye olde American dream -- a house in the 'burbs, a station wagon, is fast dying, with the new breed, generations such as millennials and z, etc. If you live in certain suburbs today and are trying to sell, it's getting tougher because young couples today want the urban life, don't want the care and feeding of lawns etc, and would rather bike than own and care for a car when there's uber and lyft. the world as we know it is fast changing,
Couldn't agree more. My parents live in a suburb in South Jersey and it's progressively getting worse. They'll have a hard time selling when they decide to leave behind the burbs and go somewhere warm for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia