U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,176,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Question. Since you have probably never put a toe in Brewerytown why do you believe that making remarks about it are relevant from google maps photos?
Because people infer Colonial-look changes seem to involve major extensive, chiseling of a fronts and brickwork. It is all cosmetic as people for decades added to rows throughout Philly.

But besides greens. Color adds to perceptions that if they accentuate what architectural features they have. It too adds to aesthetics vs removing it all to bare brick. But I can note that even that can work too.

Colonial was merely a Philly trait some utilized too in none true Colonial era neighborhoods.... in home exteriors. But also these other color-added features (even a outsider can admire despite blight too sadly), adding awnings and porches for decades too. Erasing it all also erases the neighborhoods character it evolved too.

I would hope such characteristics in some of them street-views.... are maintained in rehabs over removing it all.

Again, Colonial-look was merely one think that some could choose more. But meant did as you do see pat blocks some chose. It still adds quaintness too as these Brewerytown examples did too.

Of course, high-end gentrification steers toward removing all former added attempts for diversity and variety. I would not wish it for Brewerytosn to erase all its character to original brick or Colonial. ;

Again too .... some non-regular posters came in ... (new blood) Then the he's a outsider and a change happened and replies were altered in follow-ups. Too obvious.

But you will be happy. I'm done on this. Most scared off by the label. But nice little run anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

22,009 posts, read 31,169,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If someone wants a tree, they cannot jackhammer the sidewalk and plant it in front of their house. Do you understand that?

the city thwarts tree planting.

Since we are talking about Pennsport a lot, look at the new development between 4th and 5th and Reed and Dickinson; the city wouldn't allow trees on the sidewalks surrounding it

I believe was based on sidewalk width and also the utility companies not wanting to maintain the trees that eventually encroach the power lines

Also on the park in the area, it really has seen a vast improvement, as well as a few of the pocket parks

I hope something gets done with the park on Washington between 5th and 4th

I often wondered if some form of boxed trees coordinated would work, won't grow as large but could increase the visual pleasure.

Trees do make a big difference. My block on Carpenter (Belle Vista area) has a lot of street trees and it really makes a huge difference IMHO

There are grandfathered in I believe as the sidewalks are no wider than those on 4th, 5th, Reed, Dickinson around that new development that was blocked from installing them

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

20,880 posts, read 26,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Since we are talking about Pennsport a lot, look at the new development between 4th and 5th and Reed and Dickinson; the city wouldn't allow trees on the sidewalks surrounding it

I believe was based on sidewalk width and also the utility companies not wanting to maintain the trees that eventually encroach the power lines

Also on the park in the area, it really has seen a vast improvement, as well as a few of the pocket parks

I often wondered if some form of boxed trees coordinated would work, won't grow as large but could increase the visual pleasure.

Trees do make a big difference. My block on Carpenter (Belle Vista area) has a lot of street trees and it really makes a huge difference IMHO

There are grandfathered in I believe as the sidewalks are no wider than those on 4th, 5th, Reed, Dickinson around that new development that was blocked from installing them
Several blights killed off trees in the city. I'm sure that the OP is unaware of that.

Then there's Pine St, west of Broad. Ginko trees were planted there. They're smaller, more decorative trees, but they fruit. If you haven't walked there in the fall, you haven't had the experience of fruits that smell like vomit. I remember, years ago, someone suggested replacing the ginko trees, but there was no money for that.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

31,551 posts, read 57,996,824 times
Why would anyone think it's a good idea to add "colonial trimmings" to homes that aren't colonial in style?

It's a good idea in neighborhoods like Old City and Society Hill only because those homes actually are ... colonial.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

8,481 posts, read 4,604,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Sure trees make a difference if you aren't tasked with cleaning up their "refuse" especially leaf clean up in the Fall. In my neighborhood our dedicated civic ass. does it. But it's time consuming over multiple weekends.

When I was a kid I had to do yard work like trimming bushes, raking leaves and mowing grass. Not doing any of that ever again. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or