U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,113,481 times

Advertisements

I feel old reading this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM

93 posts, read 12,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I never got this fascination with people who used to live in a neighborhood 30+ years ago but left and now want to say things like "This neighborhood was so great back then" or "this neighborhood isn't like how it used to be". If your neighborhood was so great back then, why did so many people leave that neighborhood in droves? If it was such a great neighborhood, the residents living there during that time would've fought hard to keep that neighborhood great! The majority of the people who used to live in those places, didn't pass down their homes to their future family lineages. With all that wealth and stability leaving the neighborhood, what did you think would happen to those places generations later?

The people who left the neighborhood only have themselves to blame for the long term decline of that neighborhood. Then they want to comeback 40 years later and complain how crappy the neighborhood is now??
They WERE great neighborhoods, but people die and people sell their homes and move for a variety of reasons (divorce, job, need for more space, etc). There isn't always somebody to just leave it to ... That opens the door for investors and people with lower standards.
Staying and fighting doesn't work.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:45 PM

8,447 posts, read 10,195,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
They WERE great neighborhoods, but people die and people sell their homes and move for a variety of reasons (divorce, job, need for more space, etc). There isn't always somebody to just leave it to ... That opens the door for investors and people with lower standards.
Staying and fighting doesn't work.
It seems to be working just fine in plenty of neighborhoods in the suburbs.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
It seems to be working just fine in plenty of neighborhoods in the suburbs.
No, it doesn't ...

Bensalem, Drexel Hill, Upper Darby, Croyden, Bristol, Pennsauken ... Plenty of them heading down the wrong path.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 AM

8,447 posts, read 10,195,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
No, it doesn't ...

Bensalem, Drexel Hill, Upper Darby, Croyden, Bristol, Pennsauken ... Plenty of them heading down the wrong path.
There is a lot of financially stable neighborhoods in the Philly suburbs and I'm not even including any in the Main Line. Please don't pretend that this is some rarity in suburban PA. Pretty much every Philly area poster on citydata knows this but apparently you don't.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of financially stable neighborhoods in the Philly suburbs and I'm not even including any in the Main Line. Please don't pretend that this is some rarity in suburban PA. Pretty much every Philly area poster on citydata knows this but apparently you don't.
Apparently I forget about the 'fight' the Main Line had to put up to keep their neighborhoods.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 AM

8,664 posts, read 4,753,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Safe? Wow, if you were originally from Summerdale or Wissinoming, I might see what you are saying but to my eyes, Fox Chase and Bustleton are about as safe as they ever were or at least not unsafe. Unless the word "safe" is code for something else, I don't think your lamenting is rational.

They(Fox Chase/Bustleton)are as safe and, sorry not sorry, as "white bread" as they ever were. I was in Fox Chase this past Sat.

As long as the Fox Chase Cancer Center stays where it is, Fox Chase will be fine.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
You're arguing with a troll who created an account just to troll.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I never got this fascination with people who used to live in a neighborhood 30+ years ago but left and now want to say things like "This neighborhood was so great back then" or "this neighborhood isn't like how it used to be". If your neighborhood was so great back then, why did so many people leave that neighborhood in droves? If it was such a great neighborhood, the residents living there during that time would've fought hard to keep that neighborhood great! The majority of the people who used to live in those places, didn't pass down their homes to their future family lineages. With all that wealth and stability leaving the neighborhood, what did you think would happen to those places generations later?

The people who left the neighborhood only have themselves to blame for the long term decline of that neighborhood. Then they want to comeback 40 years later and complain how crappy the neighborhood is now??
On a smaller scale there was also black flight of sorts. Lots of educated and middle class blacks left W. Philly, for instance, once issues like red-lining became less omnipresent. I know about it because that's what my parents did. My mom grew up in the suburbs so it seemed natural for them. A lot of their friends ended up in West Mt Airy and Cedarbrook. Another set of their friends were among the first residents of Yorktown in N. Philly. Still others others went to S. Jersey.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM

372 posts, read 503,021 times
Default New Chinatown for NE Philadelphia

I heard on the news that there was a first-time Chinese New Year festival in the Northeast this weekend, complete with red and gold fireworks and a dragon dancing in the street. The news story said that the Northeast has become a magnet for Asian families that have been priced out of New York. Could this be the sort of cultural revitalization that the area is looking for? Your thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or