U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 01:56 AM

6,295 posts, read 6,712,391 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for the nicest restaurants, closest to the Philly International Airport. (Not IN the airport)

Personally I think that area is a restaurant No Man's Land, with nothing to offer. BUT, just in case I'm wrong, I thought I'd ask.

So far all I've come up with the the Ruby Tuesday on Bartram Avenue. (Actually I'd like a little nicer, but that's the best option that's close. You know it's bad when Ruby Tuesday is your best option)

Are any of the hotel eateries worth going to?
Lord knows I can't come up with anything in close-in DelCo there.
There is a steak house listed on Google, Lehman's on 291 in Essington? I doubt that would be what I'm looking for either but, could be.

Seems there's nothing that's nice until you get to So. Philadelphia, or all the way out to Swarthmore. Anything in Ridley Park? Glenolden has never wowed my with its places to eat.

But like I said maybe there's a place I don't know about.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM

95 posts, read 29,078 times
You are correct that the area around the airport is a restaurant no man's land. I have eaten at the Ruby Tuesday's in question, and it's just that. To its credit, sometimes you just want a salad bar and cheap beers on the night before a flight. The crowd has a noticeable shift around 7pm when it's mostly locals beforehand, and traveling professionals afterwards.

For what it's worth, the "bistro" at the airport's Courtyard Marriott is mediocre and overpriced.

I haven't tried Lehman's (or was even aware of it) but I would say that Popi's in South Philly is a good option, and not that far from the airport.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:02 AM

123 posts, read 90,483 times
My office is by the airport, and you're right, it's a terrible area for amenities.

The only other place I can think of offhand is Stingers Waterfront at the Ridley Marina. That's right off 95 just south of the airport, and is presented as a fairly "upscale" restaurant on the bay. Whether it succeeds is up to your interpretation, but it does try.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:37 PM

OP here, we just made it easy on ourselves and went to Ruby Tuesday. It wasn't bad at all. Not fancy. But not a dump either.
I live near there and have always wondered WHY there wasn't a more upscale option.

I think plenty of people would support that. Sure traveling business people want quick, "decent" options. But I also think enough locals and travelers would support "nicer" place as well.

Granted the restaurant business is one that takes a lot of money to launch a place, but I think the market is there. Right now Ruby Tuesday is the ONLY option. I know part of that business could be siphoned off.

Some entity is going to build something -- I don't know what -- over by the corner and block -- that runs from Island Avenue on Bartram on the east side, toward the 95 N onramp near Holstein and Essington Avenue. Maybe? a nice restaurant might be part of that development?

No sign of what that might be...more hotels? Parking? Anyone know?

Old Today, 08:27 AM

933 posts, read 1,081,746 times
For more mainstream, probably stick with Cracker and Barrel.

Otherwise, try to go further out if you can.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

3,919 posts, read 1,903,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP here, we just made it easy on ourselves and went to Ruby Tuesday. It wasn't bad at all. Not fancy. But not a dump either.
I live near there and have always wondered WHY there wasn't a more upscale option.

I think plenty of people would support that. Sure traveling business people want quick, "decent" options. But I also think enough locals and travelers would support "nicer" place as well.

Granted the restaurant business is one that takes a lot of money to launch a place, but I think the market is there. Right now Ruby Tuesday is the ONLY option. I know part of that business could be siphoned off.

Some entity is going to build something -- I don't know what -- over by the corner and block -- that runs from Island Avenue on Bartram on the east side, toward the 95 N onramp near Holstein and Essington Avenue. Maybe? a nice restaurant might be part of that development?

No sign of what that might be...more hotels? Parking? Anyone know?
My guess as to why there aren't more restaurants in the area:

There aren't that many residents in the area.

The office park where the Ruby Tuesday is located doesn't have an evening population, and many who work at the airport can eat at one of the better dining options within the security perimeter.

The neighborhood that used to sit next to the office park got obliterated in the 1970s or sometime around then. You can see bits and pieces of it near Eastwick Regional Rail station.

The people who live near there probably patronize the fast-food places and buffets that cluster around Island Avenue and Lindbergh Boulevard.

Aloft hotels don't have restaurants, but they do have bars (called w xyz, a play on the chain's affiliation with W Hotels). Isn't there a Four Points or something next to the Aloft?

Old Today, 12:14 PM

Yes there are two other hotels there for a total of 3), and one block upon Island Ave is the Marriott? that just opened last year.

MarketSt, if you hear about what's going in at that side of Bartram I mentioned, please let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or