U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:28 PM

35 posts, read 16,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Beyond Francisville, at Girard on the west side of Broad, the area is kinda called N. Central.

MarketEl will probably answer with the actual names.

Not surprising that you didn't learn about any neighborhood names while you went to Temple. Likewise I doubt very many Penn or Drexel students know the names of specific W. Philly neighborhoods. Spruce Hill, Walnut Hill, Cedar Park, Powelton Village, etc. are all just University City to them which is okay.

I think you're right about the name being North Central.

I dont think the neighborhood was ever just called "North Philadelphia." People from other sections of the city would probably call it that, but North Philadelphia is a section of the city, not a neighborhood. Similarly someone from North Philly would probably say someone living in Point Breeze lives in "South Philly."

It's very unlikely North Central was an unnamed "ghetto" in the 1950s. Real estate developers have created names to entice people to developing and redeveloping areas for over a century. Residents will also name their neighborhoods for surrounding landmarks such as East Falls or Graduate Hospital.

I guess the question is: Is North Central Philadelphia the historic name for the neighborhood or could it be an urban renewal name similar to how "University City" that was pasted over the demolished neighborhood of Black Bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:25 PM

3,920 posts, read 1,906,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car0401 View Post
Were you a student or did you go around the area in the 1950's and 60's?

I would think crime wasn't as high in the 1950s and early 1960s before the 1964 Columbia Ave Riots. Most shops were owned by jewish people and other white people before the riot. Crime mostly came from the unemployment and disinvestment that happened in the 1960s. Crime would get a lot worse in the 70s-80s.

Interesting take on Cecil B. Moore. What did he do to be an a-hole?
We all await RUGGLES99's answer to this question with bated breath.

It will probably reveal him to be a true retrograde.

Moore was flamboyant and in-your-face, but he fought the good fight to right a historic wrong, and never mind what Stephen Girard said in his will. That attitude was wrong then too, but most white folks didn't understand that at the time. Too many still don't.

Quote:

I dont think the neighborhood was ever just called "North Philadelphia." People from other sections of the city would probably call it that, but North Philadelphia is a section of the city, not a neighborhood. Similarly someone from North Philly would probably say someone living in Point Breeze lives in "South Philly."

It's very unlikely North Central was an unnamed "ghetto" in the 1950s. Real estate developers have created names to entice people to developing and redeveloping areas for over a century. Residents will also name their neighborhoods for surrounding landmarks such as East Falls or Graduate Hospital.

I guess the question is: Is North Central Philadelphia the historic name for the neighborhood or could it be an urban renewal name similar to how "University City" that was pasted over the demolished neighborhood of Black Bottom?
"University City" includes not only the "Black Bottom" but the old Blockley Township (pre-1854 consolidation), Powelton Village, West Powelton, Spruce Hill and Walnut Hill. Squirrel Hill, Garden Court and Cedar Park are also tossed into that amalgam by some.

Yorktown is to the southeast of the Temple campus. It's Philadelphia's entry in the 1960s urban-renewal-for-the-black-middle-class derby (there's one, and only one, such neighborhood in most American cities). Former Mayor John Street calls the neighborhood home: it's bounded by 9th Street on the east, 12th on the west, Girard Avenue on the south and Cecil B. Moore Avenue on the north.

Columbia Avenue from Front to 33d streets was renamed for the civil rights leader in the early 1990s. The Broad Street Line subway station was renamed concurrent with that change. The neighborhood now called "Cecil B. Moore" was part of North Central Philadelphia, which is not to be confused with the grand regional division "North Philadelphia."

The latter includes the following neighborhoods: Fairhill, Stenton, East Poplar, West Poplar, Spring Garden, Francisville, Fairmount, Brewerytown, Sharswood, Strawberry Mansion, Tioga, Nicetown, Hunting Park, Logan, Olney, Ogontz, and North Central. West Kensington should be part of it but isn't in the minds of some. I think there are a few I've left out. Both Oak Lanes are also technically part of North Philly, as is Fern Rock.

There's a site where you can test your knowledge of - or learn the names of - more than 132 Philadelphia neighborhoods. (There are some identified on the map that you aren't quizzed on because they're too small.)

Try this game on for size:

Click That 'Hood - Philadelphia

You'll find several neighborhoods subdivided into sections you probably don't know or recognize.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 PM

6,295 posts, read 6,712,391 times
That Click that 'Hood is addictive. I played that darn thing for 20 minutes!
My time got better as I went along. But uh, yeah, there were many neighborhoods I'd never heard of.

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

8,428 posts, read 10,098,008 times
Quote:

If that area had a name before the 1960's and 1950's it is long gone now. I think it's safe to assume the people who lived in that area during that time period have either left the neighborhood or died. There may be few old time residents left in the neighborhood but have you considered knocking on the door of every residency in that area to get better information?

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGLES99 View Post
interesting how areas got these names that never had them before, mainly attributable to realtor bs hype. back in the 50s and 60s that area of temple was called 'the ghetto.' unless you took classes there, and risked your life, you did not go there. basically, it was just north philly. and btw, cecil moore was an ahole.

Thats exactly what it is.. North Philly!!

Plain and Simple

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

8,476 posts, read 4,601,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haneefah22 View Post
Thats exactly what it is.. North Philly!!

Plain and Simple
Right. Lol

There was a post upthread that actually listed most of the neighborhoods in North Philadelphia and it starts way south of Termple at Vine St.

Old Today, 12:32 AM

35 posts, read 16,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If that area had a name before the 1960's and 1950's it is long gone now. I think it's safe to assume the people who lived in that area during that time period have either left the neighborhood or died. There may be few old time residents left in the neighborhood but have you considered knocking on the door of every residency in that area to get better information?
I've talked to a couple old-timers around Cecil B. Moore (the neighborhood) which is how I got the name of Crosstown. I dont think there are many residents of Crosstown around anymore. Most either left when the neighborhood was raised or passed away according to the people I talked to. I'll ask around some more though, maybe someone knows more about the neighborhood.

Thanks MarketStEL, as always your knowledge of the city is comprehensive and insightful. Click That 'Hood is definitely testing my knowledge of Philly. I'm definitely less knowledgable than I previously thought lol.

Thanks kyb01, I'll search for that North Philly neighborhood thread. Would you happen to remember the name of the thread?

Old Today, 02:37 AM

20,880 posts, read 26,120,196 times
The library has a series of maps that may or may not be any help. I was looking for a neighborhood name for an area in that general vicinity in the late 1800s and asked at the library. No one was able to come up with a neighborhood name for me, but they recommended studying the maps and told me that the specific location that I was looking at had been developed as middle class twins after the Civil War and those were later replaced by working class rows. If they could give me that information, they might be able to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or