Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:06 PM

606 posts, read 414,972 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've lurked on this board for a minute and am considering a move to Philadelphia to attend studio Incamminati in the fall of 2019. I currently live in nyc. Pretty much the school year there starts every fall so if I don't apply by next spring I'll have to wait another year. The school does not have out-of-state tuition (it's the same for everyone) it's not quite a university, more like an art school. The school is something I could afford on my current salary and it offers grants, scholarships and loans (won't be taking anymore)

After seeing how much in taxes I lost in income, I cinsidered moving away from nyc while still living close enough to visit (I have a church community there). I do have a few concerns though before I make the plunge.

Employment

I currently work as an Lpn. I'm starting home care and facility and had no issues finding work as a new grad. I do know that I have no interest in moving on in healthcare and am staying in the field until I get to where I want in the art field. The first concern is opportunities in healthcare--especially home care. Are they as good in Philly or PA as nyc?

Transportation

This is something I've weighed out. There is the possible option of staying in nyc for my first year at the school ans taking the Amtrak. That would be--3 or 4 hours total a day? I've never owned a car and would like to have miney saved up and some debt paid off before moving on with this. I'm worried car expenses will eat up a portion of my income. Will I also need one to work in homecare in Philly? Should I get one anyway to expand my options?

Saving up shouldn't be an issue. Ideally for this first year I'm going to work overtime and put away around 10k or so before going to school. But I could put more away and I wonder if I should if moving might be the best option.

Housing

The school doesn't offer housing. Ideally I'd think a studio or small apartment around 600--700 is a good target. Where would I look to find a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood?

I'm anxious to make the move in the next 6 months. I figurrd that I should work here a full year at the minimum before moving on. How long should I give myself to move and do reciprocity for basically the next state over?

That's all I can think of at the moment. But any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,353 times
$6-700 for your own apartment in a decent neighborhood is a tad unrealistic.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:54 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,354,087 times
I am under the impression that the commute (AMTRAK) would be quite costly as well. Probably not very doable to consider.
You could probably find a shared apartment but not a solo apt for that money.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:59 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,467,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am under the impression that the commute (AMTRAK) would be quite costly as well. Probably not very doable to consider.
You could probably find a shared apartment but not a solo apt for that money.
I believe it is about $1,000 per month for a monthly pass on Amtrak b/w Philly and NYC (or about $100 per trip)

Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 AM

409 posts, read 364,621 times
If you are looking to frequently commute between Philly and NYC, the cheapest option would be to take Septa's Trenton line from any of the following stations:
  • Temple University
  • Jefferson University
  • Suburban Station
  • 30th Street Station
  • North Philly

Once you get to Trenton, transfer to a NJ Transit train which will get you to NY Penn Station. This will "only" cost you a total of ~$40 round trip and take about 2-3 hours each way. It's no picnic, but it's the best option. Amtrak would be a little faster, but it's more than double the price (especially if you don't book in advance) and less flexible.

If you're still up to the task, living around the North Philly station would be the most affordable option, but there are unsafe neighborhoods around it: do your research. The other stations are all in Center City, where the rents get significantly more expensive.

You could live in other parts of Philly and commute to one of the above stations, but that will only add to the time and cost of your commute.

For the budget you specified, maybe rent a place in Delaware County. It won't be the nicest place to live, but it's relatively safe and has good public transportation options into the city:
  • Upper Darby - 69th Street Station has the Market Frankford El into Philly
  • Darby - Darby Transportation Center has trolleys into Philly

Old 01-02-2019, 05:06 PM

606 posts, read 414,972 times
Thanks! It's been awhile since I last saw this post. I just figured out a way to see and track all my posts.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,883,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Thanks! It's been awhile since I last saw this post. I just figured out a way to see and track all my posts.
As an LPN your starting hourly rate should be at least $20.00 per hour right? I'm thinking around $24.00. Up in NY? If you're working part time you should be able to afford an $800.00 per month studio in a fairly decent spot, but not much more.

A NYC - Philly commute to school is going be a burden, unless it's just one or maybe two days per week, and add two more hours when you consider " door to door."

Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM

47 posts, read 44,055 times
Hello. Here're some thoughts to consider...

Don't know how much you know about the city, but for others--Philly is a very poor city. The closest analogy to NYC is the Bronx. (Yes, I lived there, E. 194th & Briggs Ave; left in 2015.) Sure there are plenty of pockets of ever-widening gentrification, but these won't be able to overcome the systemic & historical poverty citywide.

I state this to keep in perspective what's available in this town, and what to look forward to & avoid.

Employment:

My sister works in homecare / senior care. She is not a LPN but is licensed by the state. She makes $14/hr which, by her accounts, is considered fairly high payscale for this kind of work.

You may be able to find higher paying gigs, but will be challenged within the city. Possible but low probability, due to the majority of clients being fixed- & low-income. The 'burbs are more fertile grounds, but that would involve having a car... You can see where the cycle would lead.

Transportation:

You'll find public transit more than adequate to get around.

Housing:

You can indeed find a studio or flat for 600-700 (sharing a room would upscale your options), in a decent area despite what the usual suspects have commented, but more realistically inline to student housing -- all assuming you're used to 'hoods like the Bronx (and parts of Queens & Brooklyn). If you're part of the privileged set, then you're gonna be highly disappointed with living anywhere in Philly, even in nicer areas.

Two areas to consider, for convenience: zip codes 19123 & 19122 are both historically working-class (lower end), continually gentrifying, and university housing bleeding in more. The western end of 19123, centering around 12th Street, would work nicely for you, as the studio is on the same street.

My sister was considering sharing a room in a house in 19122:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...hia,+PA+19122/ (use StreetView to 'stroll' the area) for $500, all utilities included.

Also looked at a $625 1BR here (waaay uptown):
https://hotpads.com/first-months-ren...124-t63y5h/pad

But decided on a houseshare similar to this - $600, all utilities plus wifi & shared cable TV in the living room included - easily commutable to 19123:
https://hotpads.com/1823-dickinson-s...146-vhuv5x/pad

Wherever you go, check out Hotpads, craigslist, etc for these & other areas, but hit them early, before August, to beat the rush by college students.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,883,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazello View Post
Hello. Here're some thoughts to consider...

Employment:

My sister works in homecare / senior care. She is not a LPN but is licensed by the state. She makes $14/hr which, by her accounts, is considered fairly high payscale for this kind of work.

As far as pay goes for an LPN, I'm thinking your sister may not actually be one. Instead she's probably a CNA which has lower qualifications but requires testing and state certifications. My mother retired 9 years ago at $26 per hour, and my aunt at around $28.50?

Both retired from nursing homes but also did home health care every once & awhile but their pay rates weren't much lower. My aunt still does the home care jobs a couple a days a week, and says she makes $21 per hr. part time. She's not far from Chestnut Hill where she goes but if she was willing to travel to Far Northeast or Hatfield, etc; she says the rates are close to $30. It's just not many seasoned and experienced nurses are wanting to go that far out. Everyone wants Rittenhouse, Graduate Hospital, Chestnut Hill, Roxborough, etc.

As far as the entire Philly being most like the Bronx? I don't think so.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:10 PM

47 posts, read 44,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
As far as pay goes for an LPN, I'm thinking your sister may not actually be one.
That is correct. I said so, right there in my comment, which you quoted.

I will certainly encourage her to upgrade her training & credentials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
As far as the entire Philly being most like the Bronx? I don't think so.
We're all entitled to our own opinions. Having been a recent Bronx resident & a native Philly-ite, I'm sticking to mine. I'm open to considering others' -with respect- as I demand they do with mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia