U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 229 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Philly suburbs in the next few months, with my partner following after finding a job. We are young professionals (in our 30s) - my job is in Collegeville but my partner will most likely end up working around Center City. The goal is to find a location that minimizes my partner's commute to work (car or train), but with a reasonable commute to Collegeville (30-45 min by car) for me. I expect that we would both be getting to work by 7:30am the latest everyday.

When are you moving? March
Where are you coming from? Richmond, VA
Why are you moving? New Job
Where will you be working? Collegeville for me, Center City for my partner
Have you been here yet? Yes, briefly visited the area.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Starting off in a 1-2 bedroom apartment, ideally under ~$2k/month but we would like to buy our first house in a few years.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Partner, no children
Do you prefer public or private schools? no preference
Do you have pets? No, but I would eventually like to get a medium/large-sized dog.
Do you want or need a yard? Not needed, but preferred.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We prefer the suburbs to city living, so a relatively calm/quiet area.

What do you want to be closest to? In between Collegeville and Center City, but with an easier/shorter commute by car/train to Center City.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? no preference

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Coffee, bourbon, wine, water, craft beer

We appreciate any advice for areas to consider!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,057,370 times
Conshohocken or Ambler for towns.

Plymouth Meeting or Blue Bell for more suburban areas.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:51 AM

109 posts, read 34,002 times
I'm assuming that, since you don't have kids, you still want to go out frequently. If you want nearby bars/restaurants/shopping without the hustle-and-bustle of city life, consider an apartment inside of King of Prussia Town Center. There are a few different complexes available, and they're all higher-end end, but you should find options under $2000/month.

This development is a niche taste; some people don't like the centrally-planned, inorganic aspect of it, but it does serve its purpose for people who may be in your situation. King of Prussia is also where multiple highways converge, so you can have the whole area at your fingertips to get a lay of the land.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 AM

976 posts, read 972,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Conshohocken or Ambler for towns.

Plymouth Meeting or Blue Bell for more suburban areas.
I've always though Ambler has a better small-town vibe than Conshohocken (restaurants, theater, etc.). Both are on SEPTA lines that'll get you into Center City relatively quickly (less than a half hour, I'd guess). Unless you need a car once you're in Center City for work purposes I'd have SEPTA access high on the "where do I move" list (and by SEPTA, I mean rail).

Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 PM

601 posts, read 367,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I'm assuming that, since you don't have kids, you still want to go out frequently. If you want nearby bars/restaurants/shopping without the hustle-and-bustle of city life, consider an apartment inside of King of Prussia Town Center. There are a few different complexes available, and they're all higher-end end, but you should find options under $2000/month.

This development is a niche taste; some people don't like the centrally-planned, inorganic aspect of it, but it does serve its purpose for people who may be in your situation. King of Prussia is also where multiple highways converge, so you can have the whole area at your fingertips to get a lay of the land.

I agree with this and think it's great advice to start out there. Close to the highway for your partner (or a short drive to Norristown to pick up regional rail into the city if transit is preferred) and not terribly far from Collegeville either, via route 422 West or back roads.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM

363 posts, read 497,265 times
Just a thought from out in left field - maybe in/nearby Norristown? Schools aren't a factor and dang, you could take the train to Philly and you could get to Collegeville by back roads, if 422 is already clogged when you are commuting. I really want Norristown to gentrify; it has good bones, it's the county seat, it's convenient to so much. . . and suburban-y in spots. Discuss.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM

601 posts, read 367,991 times
Jeanie Beanie, I was going to suggest Norristown for just that reason, but because it's been trying trying trying to gentrify for years and just hasn't done it, I didn't know if that would be an issue for the OP. But it's right by transit, and the OP can take Ridge Pike or Germantown Pike all the way out to Collegeville without even thinking about going near 422.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM

31,631 posts, read 58,130,189 times
Norristown, as far as turning around its revitalization (I hate "gentrification") is a victim of its own incompetence that is exacerbated by the strait jacket of Montgomery County government, but that's fodder for another thread.

That said, it would be an advantageous place for the OP because of the multiple transportation options into Center City, and a 15-minute drive to Collegeville.

Not all of Norristown is lost; there are neighborhoods on the north, west, and east sides of the city that are safe and attractive (come live next door to me!). I live within walking distance of the zoo and the Elm Street train station and it's great. Norristown's advantage right now is that homes are inexpensive, although property taxes are high.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 AM

363 posts, read 497,265 times
Default Norristown Yes

Ohiogirl You are exactly who I was thinking about. And, Yes, "revitalization" is the pertinent word, not "gentrification". I had a friend who lived there for years and I always thought Norristown was an unpolished gem. Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Norristown, as far as turning around its revitalization (I hate "gentrification") is a victim of its own incompetence that is exacerbated by the strait jacket of Montgomery County government, but that's fodder for another thread.

That said, it would be an advantageous place for the OP because of the multiple transportation options into Center City, and a 15-minute drive to Collegeville.

Not all of Norristown is lost; there are neighborhoods on the north, west, and east sides of the city that are safe and attractive (come live next door to me!). I live within walking distance of the zoo and the Elm Street train station and it's great. Norristown's advantage right now is that homes are inexpensive, although property taxes are high.

Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,631,756 times
Right, there are some decent apartment complexes in the Norristown area....Eagleville, Jeffersonville, etc. Not like they're buying a house right off the bat. That location would be perfect for her commute by car and his commute by train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or