Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next Neighborhood(s)
Templetown 2 5.71%
Point Breeze 8 22.86%
Gray's Ferry 0 0%
Pennsport 6 17.14%
Delaware Riverfront (Frankford to Washington Ave) 4 11.43%
East Mount Airy 6 17.14%
South Kensington 7 20.00%
Brewerytown 10 28.57%
OTHER 10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:40 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The best hope for Templetown is the continuing development in the eastern part of Francisville which will, hopefully, jump north of Girard Ave into what is still called N. Central. I'm particularly blown away by the Moxy Hotel. Really risky but what the heck!

Wrt "Callowhill" I think you mean the Rail Park area. If , so, I agree with you.
https://www.visitphilly.com/areas/ph...ds/callowhill/
That is what cpomp means by Callowhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
One point about Penn to remember is that it has very wealthy alums( including one who just died, Raymond Perelman) who will continue to give it tons of money which, further, enhance UC because of the investment made in the school. Temple does not have that resource and probably never will. Drexel wins because of great leadership and proximity to Penn. It's a win win all around for that part of W. Phila. and the city as a whole.

Losing Cosby(good riddance, hope he dies in jail) was not only a public relations nightmare for Temple but a big financial problem more than likely.
Very true. Penn is no less than Harvard for wealthy alum (who are still very involved in the school). Drexel does have a high number of wealthy alum as well. The only thing U City needs more of is permanent housing so more people who aren't necessarily affiliated with the universities decide to move to that area. I would also like to see those pesky vacant lots (Former Forum) developed to close the gap between CC West and U City.

Quote:
The best hope for Templetown is the continuing development in the eastern part of Francisville which will, hopefully, jump north of Girard Ave into what is still called N. Central. I'm particularly blown away by the Moxy Hotel. Really risky but what the heck!

Wrt "Callowhill" I think you mean the Rail Park area. If , so, I agree with you.
Yes, a Moxy is a big deal, the one in New York became very popular on 10th Ave.

And yes, Rail Park area.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
I think to a certain extent, Point Breeze is already arriving. There is tons of new residential construction, a huge influx of new residents, and the housing prices have exploded over the 3 years we've lived here. It's almost to the point that we probably couldn't even afford to buy here today.

There's still a lot to be done, of course. The neighborhood still has a bunch of rough patches and still looks pretty scuzzy overall. And commercial is mostly lagging residential, which is a shame, because if someone can ever figure out how to get Point Breeze Avenue going, that'll be a real tipping point.

Still, given its prime location and proximity to other stable neighborhoods, PB is happening now.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
I think to a certain extent, Point Breeze is already arriving. There is tons of new residential construction, a huge influx of new residents, and the housing prices have exploded over the 3 years we've lived here. It's almost to the point that we probably couldn't even afford to buy here today.

There's still a lot to be done, of course. The neighborhood still has a bunch of rough patches and still looks pretty scuzzy overall. And commercial is mostly lagging residential, which is a shame, because if someone can ever figure out how to get Point Breeze Avenue going, that'll be a real tipping point.

Still, given its prime location and proximity to other stable neighborhoods, PB is happening now.
Wasn't a 4ish story snazzy apartment building proposed on PB Ave with a grocery store or some kind of market on the ground floor met with opposition?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wasn't a 4ish story snazzy apartment building proposed on PB Ave with a grocery store or some kind of market on the ground floor met with opposition?
I don't know the particulars, but it's very possible. As someone else said, there is still some resistance to the changes, and Kenyatta is not particularly encouraging on his best days. But there's too much going on, both within the neighborhood and outside of it, for things not to keep changing.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Very true. Penn is no less than Harvard for wealthy alum (who are still very involved in the school). Drexel does have a high number of wealthy alum as well. The only thing U City needs more of is permanent housing so more people who aren't necessarily affiliated with the universities decide to move to that area. I would also like to see those pesky vacant lots (Former Forum) developed to close the gap between CC West and U City.

Not trying to be a smart-ass but UC is covered in permanent housing moving into the rest of W. Philly. But I know what you mean.

What is unfortunate is that you literally have to get past some bad areas to get to the better W. Philly neighborhoods on the western fringe. I'm talking about most of Overbrook, all of Overbrook Farms and Overbrook Park, most of Cobbs Creek, Angora and Wynnefield/Wynnefield Heights.

Speaking of a couple of well known celeb Penn alums. John Legend, give Penn some money! Elizabeth Banks, give Penn some money. Lol.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
I don't know the particulars, but it's very possible. As someone else said, there is still some resistance to the changes, and Kenyatta is not particularly encouraging on his best days. But there's too much going on, both within the neighborhood and outside of it, for things not to keep changing.
As I said elsewhere a bunch of new people are running for council in the primary. Folks need to learn who they are.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 PM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Quote:
As I said elsewhere a bunch of new people are running for council in the primary. Folks need to learn who they are.
Here is a helpful and presently current guide:

https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/w...nning-in-2019/

Also encouraging: Young voters ready to roar in Philly council races | News | phillytrib.com

Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 PM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
I could see East Mt. Airy being a next hot neighborhood if for no other reason than it offers something different than the other neighborhoods here. East Mt. Airy offers trees, a diverse housing stock, peace, in an environment that is more peaceful than the others on the list. I was part of the first "wave" of transplants to move to east to East Passyunk (2006/2007) and have noticed a recent increase in transplants moving to Mt. Airy that were also previously living in south Philly or Fishtown. Some see it as a better neighborhood to raise kids, others just like the relative peace. "Downtown" Mt. Airy has seen some improvement with the addition of a several new businesses recently. I think East Mt. Airy has more room to improve than WMA because WMA is already pretty expensive. Of course this could all be wishful thinking on my part as a homeowner in EMA.

So while EMA offers something different the changes happening in Kensington are similar to the changes happening in Brewerytown which are similar to the changes happening in point breeze etc.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I could see East Mt. Airy being a next hot neighborhood if for no other reason than it offers something different than the other neighborhoods here. East Mt. Airy offers trees, a diverse housing stock, peace, in an environment that is more peaceful than the others on the list. I was part of the first "wave" of transplants to move to east to East Passyunk (2006/2007) and have noticed a recent increase in transplants moving to Mt. Airy that were also previously living in south Philly or Fishtown. Some see it as a better neighborhood to raise kids, others just like the relative peace. "Downtown" Mt. Airy has seen some improvement with the addition of a several new businesses recently. I think East Mt. Airy has more room to improve than WMA because WMA is already pretty expensive. Of course this could all be wishful thinking on my part as a homeowner in EMA.

So while EMA offers something different the changes happening in Kensington are similar to the changes happening in Brewerytown which are similar to the changes happening in point breeze etc.
No, I don't think it's wishful thinking. The neighborhood is already pretty safe, DT Mt. Airy is getting better. Although the next step would be getting a nice small specialty market or bakery (yes, I know the Mexican joint has a bakery). The housing stock is amazing and after living in a row house, it's a huge step up IMO. Larger stone houses with more light and a mix of duplexes and singles. There are townhouses as well of course.

On the other hand, I think the neighborhood is strong enough already that it won't be "Hot". I think that title will probably go to Brewerytown, Point Breeze, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia