Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Doesn’t have to be a huge community. I would say moderate is fine. I grew up in Abington where it was about 10% Jews but there were a ton of synagogues in the area and my elementary school had a higher percentage. I would be okay with that.
Then in connection with your other requirements, after Lower Merion or Radnor, I think Wyndmoor is your best bet—specifically “Old Wyndmoor,” the more compact, walkable, and transit-connected area adjacent to Chestnut Hill. Chestnut Hill is great if you’re willing to pay for private school (even if you feel that Jenks, the local K-8, has benefits that GreatSchools ratings overlook, acceptance to Central, Masterman, or another magnet is no guarantee, even for students who “should” be shoe-ins).

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-14-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:37 AM

666 posts, read 479,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Then in connection with your other requirements, after Lower Merion or Radnor, I think Wyndmoor is your best bet—specifically “Old Wyndmoor,” the more compact, walkable, and transit-connected area adjacent to Chestnut Hill. Chestnut Hill is great if you’re willing to pay for private school (even if you feel that Jenks, the local K-8, has benefits that GreatSchools ratings overlook, acceptance to Central, Masterman, or another magnet is no guarantee, even for students who “should” be shoe-ins).
I will look in to work wyndmoor. Not sure if the houses will be our style though. Seems to be a lot of old stone houses. Those are beautiful but not really my thing. Will keep a look out tho on realtor sites and visit the area to check. Definitely not looking for private schools or having to apply to a magnet. Would prefer to be in area with good public school to avoid that. Lower Merion is definitely up there though.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I will look in to work wyndmoor. Not sure if the houses will be our style though. Seems to be a lot of old stone houses. Those are beautiful but not really my thing. Will keep a look out tho on realtor sites and visit the area to check. Definitely not looking for private schools or having to apply to a magnet. Would prefer to be in area with good public school to avoid that. Lower Merion is definitely up there though.
What kind of house are you looking for? Lower Merion also has a lot of old stone houses.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:39 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
So this is the reality of the situation.

Real Estate is an open market. And you really need to make a top 2 of what you want most.

And that is what needs to be your compass to looking in areas.

You will not find everything you want for 700k. New construction in Lower Merion (your most ideal neighborhood) for a single family starts at $1.5 Million plus typically.

New construction in Springfield is non existent and if is it, most likely is 800K + and not close to transit or walkability.

If you want new construction close to walkability then I will switch to explore Media. Although there is little new construction.

There are many older homes in your price range that have modern updates that you would enjoy.

There are new construction homes in your price range that you would enjoy, but they will not be close to the city and close to transit.

It sounds like you want a toll brothers special. 700k. Which is Newtown Square. No where close to transit. Or the city. Or walkable Lovely area though.

While you have a lovely budget. Southeast PA is not cheap. And you have to figure out your priorities to really find out where you want to be. Even at 700k you cant have it all.

I would recommend.

Chestnut Hill actually MOST. But you have to give up new construction.

Single Family new construction is not typically close to walkable or transit oriented areas. And if they are. You will pay a premium. So you really got to make a top 2 list. And start thinking about it from that perspective. Your budget is hefty. But does not buy it all.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
So this is the reality of the situation.

Real Estate is an open market. And you really need to make a top 2 of what you want most.

And that is what needs to be your compass to looking in areas.

You will not find everything you want for 700k. New construction in Lower Merion (your most ideal neighborhood) for a single family starts at $1.5 Million plus typically.

New construction in Springfield is non existent and if is it, most likely is 800K + and not close to transit or walkability.

If you want new construction close to walkability then I will switch to explore Media. Although there is little new construction.

There are many older homes in your price range that have modern updates that you would enjoy.

There are new construction homes in your price range that you would enjoy, but they will not be close to the city and close to transit.

It sounds like you want a toll brothers special. 700k. Which is Newtown Square. No where close to transit. Or the city. Or walkable Lovely area though.

While you have a lovely budget. Southeast PA is not cheap. And you have to figure out your priorities to really find out where you want to be. Even at 700k you cant have it all.

I would recommend.

Chestnut Hill actually MOST. But you have to give up new construction.

Single Family new construction is not typically close to walkable or transit oriented areas. And if they are. You will pay a premium. So you really got to make a top 2 list. And start thinking about it from that perspective. Your budget is hefty. But does not buy it all.
The issue with Media for the OP (and even more so Newtown Square) is the lack (though by no means complete absence) of a Jewish population.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
What kind of house are you looking for? Lower Merion also has a lot of old stone houses.
Don’t need a new construction. Actually prefer something a little older since it seems a lot of the new construction has poor quality. I like the look of a house with siding or brick and then updated inside. Just not really into those old houses that have “charactee”. They are beautiful but just not for me. I am open to other areas in the main line too (if there are more affordable options).

Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
The issue with Media for the OP (and even more so Newtown Square) is the lack (though by no means complete absence) of a Jewish population.
Blah so there’s not really a Jewish community there ? Any idea on approximate %?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Don’t need a new construction. Actually prefer something a little older since it seems a lot of the new construction has poor quality. I like the look of a house with siding or brick and then updated inside. Just not really into those old houses that have “charactee”. They are beautiful but just not for me. I am open to other areas in the main line too (if there are more affordable options).
Could you provide pictures for examples? I’m not sure I know what you mean.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:19 AM

744 posts, read 775,405 times
I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for but if I understand correctly I think the NJ side might be a better fit for you. Particularly Haddonfield (but watch out for taxes). The houses can be older but not stone. Very attractive downtown and a short commute to Philly and it has a decent jewish population. I know you said you prefer PA but it is what it is since you don't like the old stone houses that are in the nicer near suburbs on the PA side.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Could you provide pictures for examples? I’m not sure I know what you mean.
An example of a development we like is Springton pointe in newtown square. Just not sure on distance to city and Jewish population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia