U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 1,377 times

Advertisements

The Company is relocating my wife and I to Philadelphia and we are in desperately in need of the expert of advice of locals. From a suburb of Detroit we are, and excited at the prospect of living in your unique city. We were flown into Philadelphia a couple of weekends back for an interview- visited and loved it all.
Anyway with a budget of $1000.00 monthly, can we get housing in a pretty good community for this?
Perhaps a bit more?
Is housing expensive there? Any suggestions, advice, consultation, direction, claims, stats., ethnic blends, safe or unsafe, high or low road, or otherwise- would be greatly appreciated at this time. We are complete greenhorns concerning Philly, ( do the locals call it Philly?) so we are somewhat concerned for now as to where to go in for a landing , so to speak. A rough or smooth landing, if you know what I mean?

Yours,
Sincerely, The future citizen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 AM

277 posts, read 169,680 times
Good morning, We moved from the Detroit area 4 years ago and love it down here. Philly is more expensive than Detroit, $1000 will be on the low end. Are you looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, larger house and do you want to be in the city proper or the suburbs ?

A few things, If you want to live in Philly there is a 3.94% wage tax if you both live and work in the city. If you only work in Philly and live in the burbs you will still pay over 3% (dont have exact number).

Philly city as a whole is much safer than Detroit. North and West philly have some rough areas but otherwise you can safely live in the city without an issue. This is much different than Detroit as that there are very few areas in Detroit that as a whole are safe (corktown, palmer woods etc). If your going to buy a house real estate taxes are much cheaper in the city which does off set the wage tax. Some suburbs have very high real estate taxes.

The train, subway, trolley system here is very reliable for the most part and if you plan right you can get by with one, or no car depending on where you live. This should also offset the higher cost of living. If you google septa route map you can see all the train and trolley lines and see what towns you may want to look at in relation to where your going to work.

The houses/apartments here are older, apartments will almost always have baseboard heat and window air conditioners. Baseboard is actually better because its quiet and heat is more consistent. Some older apartments tend to have some mice issues so do research using the various apartment rating sites. We were in an apartment initially then moved to a house.

The people of Philly are a bit more blue collar for the most part in my experience (think down river Detroit), this isnt bad but people will be more direct here than the midwest. Also it may take a bit longer to fit in (friends) but once your accepted your friend base will expand very quickly.

I'm not sure what hobbies you have but Philly has great outdoor areas, large woodsy parks and the beaches of NJ are less than 2 hrs away.

Let us know what areas, what type of place you want and such. This site has many regular posters who will help. Again biggest hurdle will be finding $1000 place, hard but not impossible.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 AM

8,649 posts, read 4,743,014 times
OP, there is a lot of new housing(rentals mostly) in the city. But most of those are not within your budget unfortunately.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:35 PM

146 posts, read 47,316 times
Generally speaking, if my budget was $1000 a month, I would rent a small place in Roxborough or East Falls (it might even be a squeeze for two people) because it's relatively green and peaceful. If you don't mind a more urbanized setting, your money would go further in South Philly.

That's what I would recommend unless I heard any personal preferences/circumstances pushing you elsewhere.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:50 PM

2,116 posts, read 6,644,572 times
Where will you be working?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM

614 posts, read 378,815 times
Copy/paste the questions in the sticky at the top of this forum into this thread. Your answers will help us help you.

Old Today, 06:16 PM

13 posts, read 1,377 times
Default Once Again,

Thank you to Flyers Girl and others who have answered. I Have not forsaken this thread and am genuinely interested in everyone's helpful responses, will be back as soon as I have researched Philly some more.
It is a very exciting and Stressful time, simultaneously.

Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Copy/paste the questions in the sticky at the top of this forum into this thread. Your answers will help us help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or