U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM

53 posts, read 13,019 times

Advertisements

I was coming back from the Willow Grove Mall on the Route 22 bus. A young man started vaping on the bus and blowing the (smoke?) into the air. Instead of asking him to stop, (or alerting the bus driver), I engaged him in conversation about the device. That inadvertently caused him to stop, as he was friendly and answered my inquiries.

I've never smoked. Can vaping cause a type of "second-hand" effect, just like regular cigarettes?

Most bus drivers won't intervene. So besides moving to another seat, what should one do if a fellow passenger vapes on a Septa bus/train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,110,933 times
I believe so, but the smell from vaping is not as pungent. Gosh, how rude to do that inside the bus- ugh! You took a great approach! Thank you for saying that- I'll remember that.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM

1,074 posts, read 639,136 times
Vaping is very much less harmful than cigarette smoking. Seeing your concern is secondary inhalation, you're inhaling much more pollutants from the air pollution in the city than from someone vaping in the bus.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 AM

231 posts, read 83,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Vaping is very much less harmful than cigarette smoking. Seeing your concern is secondary inhalation, you're inhaling much more pollutants from the air pollution in the city than from someone vaping in the bus.
That is my feeling as well but I didn't feel like having a back and forth on research studies. People shouldn't vape on the bus because its against the rules but I wouldn't get overly concerned that everyone is being poisoned.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM

53 posts, read 13,019 times
I was shocked. I'm used to people leaving their discarded trash on Septa buses. But to openly vape in the back of the bus? That's a new low....and extremely inconsiderate.

Interestingly, there was an incident on the same route (22 bus to Willow Grove Mall) last year where the bus driver abruptly stopped the bus and walked to the back to throw a 60-ish woman off the bus. He yelled at her that she was not allowed to do "that" on his bus! After she disembarked, I asked the bus driver what the issue was. He explained that she is a huffer who has snuck onto his bus in the past to huff openly from a canister of compressed air!

Since then, I periodically see her at the Cedarbrook Mall, curled up on the ground, sometimes in a corner, huffing from a canister of compressed air. Damn shame!

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

5,221 posts, read 5,137,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
No way have these statements been proven. If you are vaping and assuming that these companies are selling you something manufactured that's safe, you're making a mistake. There is more and more information coming out about exactly what chemicals are baked into these things and the effects on the human body. I wouldn't be surprised if cigarettes and ecigs end up being equal ills when a more common understanding evolves.

Quote:
Regardless of whether users are smoking traditional cigarettes or e-cigarettes, nicotine is still being delivered to the body. In its concentrated e-liquid form, nicotine is poisonous. Nicotine has been shown to have effects on reproductive health, and when pregnant women are exposed to it, even at low levels, it can harm the developing fetus and lead to babies born with low birth weights. Nicotine has also been shown to be toxic to the still-developing brain of young people. Children who have been exposed to nicotine have more respiratory problems.

Nicotine is a cardiovascular stimulant and has the potential to worsen heart disease in people who have severe heart conditions. As Life Science mentions, there is also evidence that e-cigarettes can have a substantial effect on blood vessels and can increase people’s risk of heart attack.

In addition to high levels of nicotine, e-cigarette liquids also contain Propylene glycol and glycerin, which can irritate the user’s eyes and airways. When heated and vaporized, these ingredients can degrade into formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Both of these chemicals are carcinogens, although the research is not yet clear on how this exposure over time could lead to cancer.
https://mphdegree.usc.edu/blog/under...-e-cigarettes/

Old Today, 06:06 AM

75 posts, read 9,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
I was shocked. I'm used to people leaving their discarded trash on Septa buses. But to openly vape in the back of the bus? That's a new low....and extremely inconsiderate.

Interestingly, there was an incident on the same route (22 bus to Willow Grove Mall) last year where the bus driver abruptly stopped the bus and walked to the back to throw a 60-ish woman off the bus. He yelled at her that she was not allowed to do "that" on his bus! After she disembarked, I asked the bus driver what the issue was. He explained that she is a huffer who has snuck onto his bus in the past to huff openly from a canister of compressed air!

Since then, I periodically see her at the Cedarbrook Mall, curled up on the ground, sometimes in a corner, huffing from a canister of compressed air. Damn shame!
This is why I thank God I have the means to have my own vehicle.

Old Today, 09:27 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,764,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
There is more and more information coming out about exactly what chemicals are baked into these things and the effects on the human body. I wouldn't be surprised if cigarettes and ecigs end up being equal ills when a more common understanding evolves.
The position of the Amercan Cancer Society is that vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes and has indeed publicized this. https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-...statement.html

The sure-to-come (though currently delayed) regulatory changes in vaping will have a lot more to do with making up lost revenue for the state (due to less people smoking) and big tobacco (due to less people smoking) than protecting people. Maybe they can even get the big tobacco companies to write the regulations themselves.

People can get away with a lot on SEPTA, and most of the time the bus drivers aren't going to say anything about it because you never really know how a person will react when you confront them. I don't really blame them, because there have been plenty of instances of SEPTA employees being assaulted. Most of them seem afraid to even enforce the fares. Obviously anyone who gets on a bus and starts smoking, vaping, drinking, causing a scene, or refuses to pay isn't exactly in a right state of mind to begin with. Why put people in danger by confronting the individual is the philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or