Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 09:39 AM

111 posts, read 68,687 times

Advertisements

A senior female neighbor is paying $600 a month for a room in a three-story house in Mt. Airy. (She has to share the bathroom and kitchen with three male tenants.) This $600 rent leaves her with just over $100 out of her monthly social security check. She plans to stay only until she is accepted into a senior housing facility with a sliding scale fee. (As some of you may know, the waiting lists can be 2-3 years long.)

I've Googled "rental assistance agencies in Philadelphia, PA." So many come up. Can you save me some time and let me know if you have had any experience with any particular Philly agency that really helps out senior citizens? Maybe you are a social worker, experienced in these matters.

I'll compile a list of your suggestions, research the phone numbers and addresses of each, then give the list to my friend to call. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 04:52 PM

93 posts, read 146,677 times
Office of Supportive Housing is a good place to start. She can see if there are any that will help her without actually being homeless yet. I would contact the agencies under "stay in my home" and look at homeless prevention. Honestly, if she is paying that much for rent she is in danger of being homeless! If she can get around and has the time to wait she may find it useful to go to Appletree Family Center (1430 Cherry St, it is on this page under Emergency Housing).
Office of Homeless Services – Many Partners, One Goal, End Homelessness

For anything senior related PCA will be able to help and if they can't, they would be able to point her to the right place. Housing Resources | Philadelphia Corporation For Aging

Unfortunately, she may have to actually BE homeless to get help. Sometimes things move a little quicker at that point.

Also, if she doesnt already receive them, have her apply for SNAP benefits and make she she is reporting all of her shelter costs. Even if she gets the small max amount for a family size of one....it will help. She should also apply to see if she is eligible for any additional medical assistance or for her premium to be paid. https://www.compass.state.pa.us/comp...Public/CMPHome

Thank you for caring about your neighbor, I hope she is able to get somewhere better soon!

Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 PM

Thanks so much Pookybean. We've reached out to PCA and she does receive SNAP benefits. She just recently signed up with UPMC for medical benefits.

BTW:

There are people rumor-mongering that "45" is planning on eliminating SNAP benefits. From where did that rumor come?

Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Well, at least she's got a place for now. I just cannot imagine sharing a bathroom with three men....ugh, the poor thing! Can't believe a SINGLE ROOM in Mount Airy is $600.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 PM

Some Mt. Airyans are renting bedrooms in their house for $800 or more! Down in the Graduate Hospital area, some rents for a single bedroom are as high as $1,600 month!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 AM

93 posts, read 146,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
Thanks so much Pookybean. We've reached out to PCA and she does receive SNAP benefits. She just recently signed up with UPMC for medical benefits.

BTW:

There are people rumor-mongering that "45" is planning on eliminating SNAP benefits. From where did that rumor come?
Ugh. He made a comment early on about replacing snap benefits with a box of food that would be delivered to recipients homes. I haven't heard anything about that since. I can't even imagine the logistics of that. Ridiculous.

More recently, with the government shutdown, there were a lot of rumors about snap stopping but since another shutdown was averted I don't think that is in danger of happening right now. Snap benefits for March should be issued on their regularly scheduled day.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
Ugh. He made a comment early on about replacing snap benefits with a box of food that would be delivered to recipients homes. I haven't heard anything about that since. I can't even imagine the logistics of that. Ridiculous.

More recently, with the government shutdown, there were a lot of rumors about snap stopping but since another shutdown was averted I don't think that is in danger of happening right now. Snap benefits for March should be issued on their regularly scheduled day.
Yes--February benefits were issued early so this will be the longest period between payments in recent program history---at the County Assistance offices we tried to warn people to stretch it, especially elders.

But things are back to normal---and I don't think Trump will actually touch the SNAP program. It is the most successful "entitlement program" in history and actually generates over $1 in local economies for every $1 issued in FS benefits.

To OP---Office of Supportive Housing is 5252 N 13th St 19141 Open Mon-Thurs 9AM-3PM
215 685 9087

This is a housing grant that is only provided once.

Philly County Assistance Office has an Emergency Shelter Assistance Department she can contact---801 Market St 5th Floor ---215 560 1976

They have housing grants that can be issued once per year.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, at least she's got a place for now. I just cannot imagine sharing a bathroom with three men....ugh, the poor thing! Can't believe a SINGLE ROOM in Mount Airy is $600.
In LA, she'd be paying $600.00 a month and "Sharing" a room with "THREE" other ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: