U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Status: "My privilege looks good on me." (set 3 days ago)
 
769 posts, read 165,159 times
Reputation: 1134

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
He has to produce with that contract.
With the offense that Harper's produced so far at his age, history is on his side that he will produce even more.


Go Phillies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 AM
 
2,573 posts, read 1,102,197 times
Reputation: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
With the offense that Harper's produced so far at his age, history is on his side that he will produce even more.


Go Phillies!
Agree.

Great signing by the Phillies. Still leaves them with plenty of payroll flexibility, locked up a successful player whose best years are ahead of him, and created tons of fan excitement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM
 
220 posts, read 109,379 times
Reputation: 277
Harper is probably the sport's most recognized player, even if he isn't the best. That's why he commanded the contract he did. I couldn't pick Manny Machado out of a lineup. I would also guess a lot of people who are fans of National League teams (other than Philly) don't know what Mike Trout looks like. He doesn't market himself and he's the best player in baseball and has been for years. That Harper chose to spend the rest of his career here, and raise his family here, speaks volumes. And he's only 26 years old, just entering the prime of his career.

His relatively low AAV gives the team flexibility to sign other top players and he has made it known that he wants to recruit. I thought the idea of Trout coming home to play here in a couple of years was just a ridiculous fantasy, but now I don't know. This team could well end up being the Golden State Warriors of baseball, and the sport doesn't have a hard salary cap!

This is an exciting time to be a Philadelphia sports fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 09:46 AM
 
447 posts, read 360,462 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Harper is probably the sport's most recognized player, even if he isn't the best. That's why he commanded the contract he did. I couldn't pick Manny Machado out of a lineup. I would also guess a lot of people who are fans of National League teams (other than Philly) don't know what Mike Trout looks like. He doesn't market himself and he's the best player in baseball and has been for years. That Harper chose to spend the rest of his career here, and raise his family here, speaks volumes. And he's only 26 years old, just entering the prime of his career.

His relatively low AAV gives the team flexibility to sign other top players and he has made it known that he wants to recruit. I thought the idea of Trout coming home to play here in a couple of years was just a ridiculous fantasy, but now I don't know. This team could well end up being the Golden State Warriors of baseball, and the sport doesn't have a hard salary cap!

This is an exciting time to be a Philadelphia sports fan.
Well stated and completely agree on all points! The way the Birds and Sixers are starting to flesh out, we could be in the beginning of a Philly-dominant sports decade. Even the Flyers are getting some new blood and picking it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 10:59 AM
 
9,298 posts, read 5,168,641 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Harper is probably the sport's most recognized player, even if he isn't the best. That's why he commanded the contract he did. I couldn't pick Manny Machado out of a lineup. I would also guess a lot of people who are fans of National League teams (other than Philly) don't know what Mike Trout looks like. He doesn't market himself and he's the best player in baseball and has been for years. That Harper chose to spend the rest of his career here, and raise his family here, speaks volumes. And he's only 26 years old, just entering the prime of his career.

His relatively low AAV gives the team flexibility to sign other top players and he has made it known that he wants to recruit. I thought the idea of Trout coming home to play here in a couple of years was just a ridiculous fantasy, but now I don't know. This team could well end up being the Golden State Warriors of baseball, and the sport doesn't have a hard salary cap!

This is an exciting time to be a Philadelphia sports fan.
There are a ton of Mormons in the Phila. area nowadays so that could have been a big factor.

I have to laugh about the modern Warriors because the Warriors started here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 AM
 
441 posts, read 185,716 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
When I saw the contract was 13 years I thought Harper was 19 years old. Never seen a sports contract like that in my life.
The Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla after Harper's contract expires.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/28/bryce-...illa-payments/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 AM
 
441 posts, read 185,716 times
Reputation: 488
There was some discussion in the media/sports radio of "well, what about Nick Williams, who just got replaced at both corner OF spots, how does he feel about all this?" With McCutchen getting older, the number of games Harper misses each season from playing with reckless abandon, and Herrera's penchant for prolonged slumps, I don't think Williams will have to worry too much about playing time. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 11:48 AM
 
441 posts, read 185,716 times
Reputation: 488
https://www.philliesnation.com/2019/...y-smart-moves/

This is an excellent article, and I agree fully. There is a legitimate buzz around the team now, and I can't wait for the season to start. Of course, pitching will be a big part of how it goes, but one thing that the Phillies also did that is a little under the radar with the splash moves on the offensive side is fortify the bullpen, which was a glaring problem last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Status: "My privilege looks good on me." (set 3 days ago)
 
769 posts, read 165,159 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
There was some discussion in the media/sports radio of "well, what about Nick Williams, who just got replaced at both corner OF spots, how does he feel about all this?" With McCutchen getting older, the number of games Harper misses each season from playing with reckless abandon, and Herrera's penchant for prolonged slumps, I don't think Williams will have to worry too much about playing time. LOL.
That's the first thing I thought of after Williams lost his starting job - We should have a pretty good fourth outfielder.


I'd like to see him walk more, strike out less and swipe a few more bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,481 posts, read 10,423,117 times
Reputation: 5377
I'm happy that the Phillies signed Harper but I wish a lot of Philly sports fans and the media would calm down with all this "Mike Trout potentially coming to Philly" talk. We are still two years away from even haveing a chance at signing him. It is waaaaay too early for Mike Trout talk in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top