U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:28 PM

282 posts, read 100,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I thought the idea behind analytics was to get your best hitters up the most times.
"best hitters" is subjective. Kapler seemingly wants the leadoff guy to get onto base, and be fast (but not necessarily quick).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 AM

769 posts, read 165,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
"best hitters" is subjective. Kapler seemingly wants the leadoff guy to get onto base, and be fast (but not necessarily quick).
I hope we never see Andrew Knapp lead off again.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM

282 posts, read 100,877 times
I was reading reviews of Citizens Bank Ballpark, due to a discussion on another thread mentioning baseball parks in various cities. This review is very thorough (multiple webpages thorough), with its biggest complaint being the park's location. Here's the page about the park's setting. My favorite blurb in it was:
Quote:
Citizens Bank Park is a quintessentially Philadelphia building in that it was built in the wrong place. This is a city that allowed Disney to carve out a failed enterprise in the prime of downtown and hasn’t been able to develop Penn’s Landing for 40 years.
I get where they're coming from; there is no better atmosphere than a downtown ballpark. On the other hand, there's something to be said for the relatively easy-in/easy-out that we currently have. I couldn't imagine fighting my way through Center City at 11pm on a Wednesday night as a game lets out.

If it was up to me, I would have put the stadium on the "other" side of 95, looking over the Delaware River similar to what San Francisco did. It would have been prettier, but have more legal/logistical hurdles to execute, and it still would have lacked the downtown ambiance. This would have been in conjunction with a new subway line down Delaware Ave.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Word leaked today that Carlos Santana did more than just walk last season - he had to take a bat to a TV because guys were too involved in playing computer games instead of concentrating on winning baseball games.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM

9,298 posts, read 5,168,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I was reading reviews of Citizens Bank Ballpark, due to a discussion on another thread mentioning baseball parks in various cities. This review is very thorough (multiple webpages thorough), with its biggest complaint being the park's location. Here's the page about the park's setting. My favorite blurb in it was:

I get where they're coming from; there is no better atmosphere than a downtown ballpark. On the other hand, there's something to be said for the relatively easy-in/easy-out that we currently have. I couldn't imagine fighting my way through Center City at 11pm on a Wednesday night as a game lets out.

If it was up to me, I would have put the stadium on the "other" side of 95, looking over the Delaware River similar to what San Francisco did. It would have been prettier, but have more legal/logistical hurdles to execute, and it still would have lacked the downtown ambiance. This would have been in conjunction with a new subway line down Delaware Ave.
Originally there were two locations, as I remember it: Broad and Spring Garden and near 30th and Walnut. Obviously neither happened. It would have meant tearing down 1500 Spring Garden which was the old "yellow mother" of Glaxo SmithKline and today home of CBS3, KYW1060, Sungard branch, Day and Zimmerman and some other companies. Much better investment than a stadium that would have been mostly empty for months at a time.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Word leaked today that Carlos Santana did more than just walk last season - he had to take a bat to a TV because guys were too involved in playing computer games instead of concentrating on winning baseball games.
Yeah, I saw that.

It kinda segues into my rants about millennials in general.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,935,384 times
Now that any chance of Mike Trout in the Phils future is dead, one has to wonder if they will get more serious in trying to sign Dallas Keuchel or Craig Kimbrel. Both are holding out for long term deals, but does not look like that will happen for either.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Looks like losing Bryce H has not affected the Nats at all during Spring training.

He's done nothing so far to impress me. Meh....

Old 03-23-2019, 04:51 AM

I'm glad to hear that Gabe Kapler is going to bat Andrew McCutcheon leadoff and Cesar Hernandez further down the lineup (eighth preferably).

Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Now that any chance of Mike Trout in the Phils future is dead, one has to wonder if they will get more serious in trying to sign Dallas Keuchel or Craig Kimbrel. Both are holding out for long term deals, but does not look like that will happen for either.
I'm not sold on Keuchel ... He seems like one of those guys who's on the way down. I wish him luck, but I'd rather the Phillies didn't commit big money and long term to him.
Maybe the rest of the league sees it too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia