U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2019, 03:42 PM
 
10,063 posts, read 5,752,936 times
Reputation: 3547

Advertisements

Bryce Harper. Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2019, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,707 posts, read 2,930,655 times
Reputation: 3058
Phillies Become 1st in MLB History to Add 3 All-Star Position Players From Previous Season

It's an exciting time to be a Philadelphia sports fan. All of our teams have incredible young talent entering their prime years.

Pressure will be on the Phillies especially the pitching staff. They are projected to win 90+ games this season and one of the top offenses. They are still under the cap and could add another good starter or reliever.

The actual details of the deal are probably the most interesting aspect of the whole thing. 13 years. $330 Million. No trade clause. No opt out.

Thats an unprecedented level of commitment from both a franchise and a player's players perspective. Bryce Harper is now tied to the Phillies until 2031 when he will be 39 years old. Players he will play with that final year are only elementary school now. A generation of Philadelphians will grow up with Harper being a mainstay like rollins, howard, utley, hamels, etc. was for my generation.

I wonder where he will live. Seems most baseball players prefer the suburbs over the city unlike the basketball/football players who walk around like celebs. However, Harper does strike me as a city type of person. I would assume he has been around Center City a few times. He posted a picture of the Mormon temple along the parkway when it opened. Maybe the Church of Latter Day Saints will set him up in the penthouse of the Alexander next door.

One last thing, if Scott Boris is to be believed, the quote about taking less money per year to be able to play with other awesome players is the best part. We all know what that means for next year... the King comes back to his rightful home. Trout and Harper for the long haul is beyond exciting. We will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 05:19 PM
 
10,063 posts, read 5,752,936 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Phillies Become 1st in MLB History to Add 3 All-Star Position Players From Previous Season

It's an exciting time to be a Philadelphia sports fan. All of our teams have incredible young talent entering their prime years.

Pressure will be on the Phillies especially the pitching staff. They are projected to win 90+ games this season and one of the top offenses. They are still under the cap and could add another good starter or reliever.

The actual details of the deal are probably the most interesting aspect of the whole thing. 13 years. $330 Million. No trade clause. No opt out.

Thats an unprecedented level of commitment from both a franchise and a player's players perspective. Bryce Harper is now tied to the Phillies until 2031 when he will be 39 years old. Players he will play with that final year are only elementary school now. A generation of Philadelphians will grow up with Harper being a mainstay like rollins, howard, utley, hamels, etc. was for my generation.

I wonder where he will live. Seems most baseball players prefer the suburbs over the city unlike the basketball/football players who walk around like celebs. However, Harper does strike me as a city type of person. I would assume he has been around Center City a few times. He posted a picture of the Mormon temple along the parkway when it opened. Maybe the Church of Latter Day Saints will set him up in the penthouse of the Alexander next door.

One last thing, if Scott Boris is to be believed, the quote about taking less money per year to be able to play with other awesome players is the best part. We all know what that means for next year... the King comes back to his rightful home. Trout and Harper for the long haul is beyond exciting. We will see.
I hope Harper stays healthy. What happens if he doesn't and is "done" in by 35? And, it really could have been the CLDS Temple which was a big deciding factor. I hadn't thought about that.

I laughed at that generation viewpoint remark. I saw Robin Roberts pitch for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Pocopson
363 posts, read 153,654 times
Reputation: 382
When I saw the contract was 13 years, I instantly thought of the Ryan Howard contract. It’s exciting for the short term, but there are going to be some awful years circa 2030 where he’s untradable and we’ll just have to ride it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 09:38 AM
 
10,063 posts, read 5,752,936 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
When I saw the contract was 13 years, I instantly thought of the Ryan Howard contract. It’s exciting for the short term, but there are going to be some awful years circa 2030 where he’s untradable and we’ll just have to ride it out.
And his career could end long before that. What happens then? Well, I know what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
14,128 posts, read 4,835,547 times
Reputation: 11211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Bryce Harper. Discuss.
Should be a great season, personally I wouldn't have signed Harper for that kind of money, but the team is going to be good for the next few years for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
3,076 posts, read 1,559,581 times
Reputation: 11172
pretty much agree with the previous analysis. 13 year contract?? I'm excited for the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 02:54 PM
 
4,281 posts, read 1,603,121 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
When I saw the contract was 13 years, I instantly thought of the Ryan Howard contract. It’s exciting for the short term, but there are going to be some awful years circa 2030 where he’s untradable and we’ll just have to ride it out.
When I saw the contract was 13 years I thought Harper was 19 years old. Never seen a sports contract like that in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
940 posts, read 248,286 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Should be a great season, personally I wouldn't have signed Harper for that kind of money, but the team is going to be good for the next few years for sure.
It all depends on the pitching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 PM
 
4,979 posts, read 2,149,603 times
Reputation: 9839
after the Braves, we will watch as much Phillies as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top