U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 AM

10,095 posts, read 5,772,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Upper Darby is pretty multiculti now, and I wonder why no one's tried to capitalize on that save the owners of H Mart (and the various restaurants).

It's been multi for years and years but that has changed too. The Greek community that was nestled around Powell Lane has pretty much disappeared inspite of the Greek Orthodox Church there. The Sikh community that 's existed in Millbourne( which is not part of Upper Darby) since the 90s seems smaller.

And, yes, the H Mart, has been very successful but it really didn't create a "Koreatown".

It's dismal, dirty(check out the stretch of sidewalk on Market St across from the Terminal). Septa can't rent most of the space inside the Terminal and on and on. You stay a few minutes to catch a westbound bus(from MFL)or the 101/102/NHSL and get the hell out. It's that bad, imo. It's heartbreaking truly because it was not like this.

Believe it or not lower N. Philly looks a 100% better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 08:35 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,357,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's been multi for years and years but that has changed too. The Greek community that was nestled around Powell Lane has pretty much disappeared inspite of the Greek Orthodox Church there. The Sikh community that 's existed in Millbourne( which is not part of Upper Darby) since the 90s seems smaller.

And, yes, the H Mart, has been very successful but it really didn't create a "Koreatown".

It's dismal, dirty(check out the stretch of sidewalk on Market St across from the Terminal). Septa can't rent most of the space inside the Terminal and on and on. You stay a few minutes to catch a westbound bus(from MFL)or the 101/102/NHSL and get the hell out. It's that bad, imo. It's heartbreaking truly because it was not like this.

Believe it or not lower N. Philly looks a 100% better.

It's sad it didn't create more of a Koreatown.
Some people that would buy from 69th St. Hmart and try some of the decent quality BBQ style food don't because they are prejudiced because the area seems "too rough" (or at least I had a friend in a family who is like this.)

Old 04-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
It's sad it didn't create more of a Koreatown.
Some people that would buy from 69th St. Hmart and try some of the decent quality BBQ style food don't because they are prejudiced because the area seems "too rough" (or at least I had a friend in a family who is like this.)
The "roughness" feeds on itself. It's so sad.

People from W. Philly went there of course. Sears closing didn't help. Many of the W. Philly working class folks probably go to Baltimore Pike which has a ton of retail once you pass Clifton Heights.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:15 PM

377 posts, read 326,929 times
We get takeout from a place in UD sometimes (it's only about 10 min away from where we are in Wynnewood) and people look at me like I have two heads when I say there's a place we like there.

Also, this is purely anecdotal and based on the type music I go see but a lot of bands I know used to play the Tower and now it's pretty infrequent. The Fillmore has become the much more popular spot for that size venue and now the Met is in the mix too. It's a Live Nation venue, just like the Fillmore, but there aren't many shows on the calendar at the moment.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM

2,052 posts, read 3,293,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
When was 69th Street shopping ever upscale? I was there as a little kid in the 70s and a teen in the 80s, to be honest it doesn't look any worse now than it did then. In fact, the 70s were rock bottom for Philly area, and 69th Street improved from those bad times.

Are you going further back, to the 50s and 60s?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:54 PM

2,052 posts, read 3,293,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
We get takeout from a place in UD sometimes (it's only about 10 min away from where we are in Wynnewood) and people look at me like I have two heads when I say there's a place we like there.
An excellent Jamaican place in UD, used to be just a booth but now has a building.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,357,251 times
69th St. was never upscale, but with the diversity of foods, a respectable Tower Theater venue and now a respectable movie theater experience from what I hear as well, as well as a central location because of being an excellent hub for public transportation, are all excellent elements for the area to gentrify. However, it's stayed pretty stagnant for other factors- some of you probably know those factors better than I do, but I know they definitely exist.

Probably racism for one. One time, my family wanted to visit a clothing store around opening time, and the people working there wouldn't let us in. It was weird and totally unexpected. It was between 9-910 AM, and the store hours showed the store opening at 9 AM.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM

845 posts, read 506,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, I do note one strong physical similarity right off the bat:

The two intersections pictured have a light rail line that heads off to the south and a street that heads to the west. In both cases (Upper Darby: West Chester Pike; Allston: Brighton Avenue), the street headed westward also had a light rail line running in it - the tracks for the "suspended" Watertown (A) branch of the Green Line were still in place when I lived in Allston. (So was the trolley storage facility at the Watertown end of the line. Both are gone now.)

And Allston wasn't all that yuppified when I lived there in the early 1980s. It had a sizable Hispanic population and a strong blue-collar ethos alongside the student ghetto.

Upper Darby is pretty multiculti now, and I wonder why no one's tried to capitalize on that save the owners of H Mart (and the various restaurants).

To the bold: Living in Havertown, my biggest disappointment is that the WCP light rail is long gone. There was also at one time the trolley that ran on Darby Road from WCP (in Havertown) to Ardmore. I now live one block off of Darby Road. If those lines still existed, I would barely use my car recreationally on the weekends. *Sigh*

Old 04-09-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post

Also, this is purely anecdotal and based on the type music I go see but a lot of bands I know used to play the Tower and now it's pretty infrequent. The Fillmore has become the much more popular spot for that size venue and now the Met is in the mix too. It's a Live Nation venue, just like the Fillmore, but there aren't many shows on the calendar at the moment.
Yes, the Tower is "dying" now too. Sigh. And, the Fillmore will kill it entirely and the Met. The revival of the Met is a miracle, btw.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
To the bold: Living in Havertown, my biggest disappointment is that the WCP light rail is long gone. There was also at one time the trolley that ran on Darby Road from WCP (in Havertown) to Ardmore. I now live one block off of Darby Road. If those lines still existed, I would barely use my car recreationally on the weekends. *Sigh*
I remember the trolley that ran on Darby Rd as well. I'm sure you know that the Rt 103 is kinda that trolley route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or