Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Would love to hear more about this!
You've heard of Marion Anderson, I hope. She lived there.

How about Julian Abele, chief architect for Horace Trumbauer? He designed the PMA, the main branch of the Phila. Free Library and the bldg next to it which used to be Family Court. Abele lived on Christian St but, I think, east of Broad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 03:37 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

How about Julian Abele, chief architect for Horace Trumbauer? He designed the PMA, the main branch of the Phila. Free Library and the bldg next to it which used to be Family Court. Abele lived on Christian St but, I think, east of Broad.
The park honoring him, however, sits in the middle of what we now call Graduate Hospital - an institution that (a) no longer exists (b) lay just outside the borders of the neighborhood that now bears his name. (BTW, another of Abele's buildings: Harvard's massive Harry Elkins Widener Memorial Library [1912-15]).

There have been occasional calls, including from some of the more recent arrivals, to rename this neighborhood "Andersonville" in Marian's honor. Civil War buffs cringe at the idea, for that was also the name of a notorious Confederate prisoner-of-war camp in Georgia.

A few other remnants of the neighborhood's black-middle-class redoubt days also remain, one only in brick-and-mortar form: The Christian Street YMCA, still extant; the Southwest-Belmont YWCA, now defunct, whose 1922 home still stands on Catharine Street; and the Hotel Brotherhood USA in the 1500 block of Bainbridge Street, founded in 1884 and considered one of the first unions formed to represent African-American workers (though it functioned more like a fraternal benefit organization along the lines of the Elks, Moose or Eagles). The organization still exists as a private club; its 1920 headquarters does business as the Bainbridge Club.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
So far I’m mostly aware of the area near the somerset and Allegheny stops on the L train where I stay in my friends garret sometimes. It is equidistant from the middle train line and the east line. I didn’t feel out of place as a sexually confused Chinese guy. I saw many black people there but I wasn’t sure if they were straight or gay. I also went to the area north of the temple school and it was nice. When you purchase food stick to regular stores.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Personally, I'm a fool for Center City.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:40 AM

222 posts, read 196,159 times
Mount Airy (Northwest section of the city) has a very large number of Lesbian couples. It’s a quiet area that kind of has a more suburban feel to it, though it’s in the city limits.

But if you really want an urban environment, then anywhere in Center City or South Philly should be adequate. I’m sure you’ve heard Philadelphia has a ‘Gayborhood” , which you might want to look into. Overall Philadelphia is a very progressive city, so you shouldn’t have concerns about acceptance.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:01 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Speaking a little out of my depth but I think the entire city as a whole is could be recommended. The Gayborhood is where you would find some entertainment choices but you don't need to live there if you're gay.

If this is incorrect, my apologies.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:05 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

He also designed buildings on the Duke University campus.

I know that this is an old post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia