U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,963 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I recently started thinking about developing a long-term plan to move back to the Philly area (5 years?). I was born and raised in the Philly suburbs, in Upper Chichester. My family still lives there and, as they get older, I may need to be around more to help. I've lived in the NYC metro area for almost 25 years. I'm married (gay), no kids and work in advertising.

Even though I grew up 20 minutes from South Philly, I don't know the city that well. Plus, I'm sure much has changed in 25 years. I'd like to live in Philly proper, not the suburbs. I don't have a car (although one may be necessary in future) and I have a dog. Since I'll be walking and taking public transportation, I'd like to live in a neighborhood where I can grab a coffee, some drinks or my groceries with ease. And my dog will need somewhere to play too.

I own an apartment now, but I'll probably just rent for awhile until I know where I want to put down roots. Obviously, I want a safe neighborhood that is gay-friendly. I haven't done much research, so I don't know rent ranges. Right now, I pay about $1,500 for mortgage and maintenance, but I have some breathing room to pay more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will do some exploring on foot after my search narrows and I get more serious. Oh, and if anyone knows of any ad agencies, I have to start a job search at some point too.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 02:51 PM

9,298 posts, read 5,168,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellej_32 View Post
Hi all - I recently started thinking about developing a long-term plan to move back to the Philly area (5 years?). I was born and raised in the Philly suburbs, in Upper Chichester. My family still lives there and, as they get older, I may need to be around more to help. I've lived in the NYC metro area for almost 25 years. I'm married (gay), no kids and work in advertising.

Even though I grew up 20 minutes from South Philly, I don't know the city that well. Plus, I'm sure much has changed in 25 years. I'd like to live in Philly proper, not the suburbs. I don't have a car (although one may be necessary in future) and I have a dog. Since I'll be walking and taking public transportation, I'd like to live in a neighborhood where I can grab a coffee, some drinks or my groceries with ease. And my dog will need somewhere to play too.

I own an apartment now, but I'll probably just rent for awhile until I know where I want to put down roots. Obviously, I want a safe neighborhood that is gay-friendly. I haven't done much research, so I don't know rent ranges. Right now, I pay about $1,500 for mortgage and maintenance, but I have some breathing room to pay more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will do some exploring on foot after my search narrows and I get more serious. Oh, and if anyone knows of any ad agencies, I have to start a job search at some point too.

Thanks in advance.
First of all there are 5 openly gay frequent posters on this board. Four men and one woman( me). One of the men is married and retired here after living in Houston for many years.

Your budget may limit you but there should be several gay-friendly neighborhoods that will work. You could actually look in S. Philly: Bella Vista, East Passyunk(huge restaurant scene!), Hawthorne, Newbold. Or just south of Center City in Graduate Hospital.

I live in Spring Garden which has a terrific new dog park: Green St. Dog Park. There are tons of dog owners in Spring Garden so you might find that of interest.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 645,342 times
I'm a 27 year old gay guy and I live in Newbold (basically Washington Ave to Snyder Ave, Broad St to 18th St) in South Philly. Your $1500 budget could probably easily get you a 1 bedroom apartment here. The neighborhood is a very interesting mix of old school Philly, Asian/Latino immigrants, young families, and young singles of all races. There are also a ton of gay/alternative people in the neighborhood as well, so you'd have no problems. There are a few great bars in the neighborhood (South Philly Tap Room) and one of the best coffee shops ever (Ultimo Coffee) is at 15th and Mifflin. It's also easily accessible to Center City on the Broad Street Line and a couple of very frequent and reliable bus lines. You won't really need a car here.

There is a Sprouts Organic Market and Target on the northern reach of the neighborhood, as well as a lot of box store shopping just south on Oregon Ave. You can also go to the other side South Philly where there are other (and more comprehensive) grocery options. I don't have a dog so I'm not sure where they go, but a lot of people here do so I assume there is some place nearby for them to run and play. Overall you get a lot more bang for your buck here then you would in the more expensive parts of South Philly to the north or east of Broad Street.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 PM

765 posts, read 165,159 times
All the decent neighborhoods are gay friendly, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Shoot for Fishtown.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 PM

9,298 posts, read 5,168,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'm a 27 year old gay guy and I live in Newbold (basically Washington Ave to Snyder Ave, Broad St to 18th St) in South Philly. Your $1500 budget could probably easily get you a 1 bedroom apartment here. The neighborhood is a very interesting mix of old school Philly, Asian/Latino immigrants, young families, and young singles of all races. There are also a ton of gay/alternative people in the neighborhood as well, so you'd have no problems. There are a few great bars in the neighborhood (South Philly Tap Room) and one of the best coffee shops ever (Ultimo Coffee) is at 15th and Mifflin. It's also easily accessible to Center City on the Broad Street Line and a couple of very frequent and reliable bus lines. You won't really need a car here.

There is a Sprouts Organic Market and Target on the northern reach of the neighborhood, as well as a lot of box store shopping just south on Oregon Ave. You can also go to the other side South Philly where there are other (and more comprehensive) grocery options. I don't have a dog so I'm not sure where they go, but a lot of people here do so I assume there is some place nearby for them to run and play. Overall you get a lot more bang for your buck here then you would in the more expensive parts of South Philly to the north or east of Broad Street.
Married people usually need more space than 1 bedroom apts. though. But, obviously, that depends on sq footage.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,963 times
Thanks, everyone, for the specific info. I'll start researching these neighborhoods and looking at maps and go from there. I do like the South Philly idea, as it makes me closer to the family. Makes sense.

I should have a larger budget to play around with (depending on the Philly salary equivalent). The $1,500 is my current situation and I can probably stretch it closer to $2k. If that opens up additional neighborhoods, let me know.

And I live in a 1 bedroom now and am used to small NYC apartments. A 2 bedroom would just be a bonus if it's within budget.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 645,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Married people usually need more space than 1 bedroom apts. though. But, obviously, that depends on sq footage.
Not if they don't have kids and are used to the size restrictions of central-city living.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:02 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,063,908 times
As others have mentioned you will not have any issues in any decent or nice neighborhood.

I second Fishtown, although it is a tad separated from Center City (downtown). Fishtown and Northern Liberties are like their own little boroughs within Philadelphia.

I have a lot of friends who also live in Point Breeze (although its still in the process of improving).

Center City specifically the gayborhood / midtown village is the center of Philadelphia gay life, although pricier.

Fairmount is also very nice.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,203,975 times
South Philly- Packer Park, other places already mentioned above, Northern Liberties, preferably a place that offers a parking spot for you, or a place in one of the neighborhoods mentioned near I-95 ramps I think would be ideal for you.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM

3,251 posts, read 4,719,339 times
I just moved back to Philly from NYC in the fall (with dog and kid) and am loving being in Spruce Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or