U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 08:53 AM

30,101 posts, read 67,188,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, OP, check these this out. Fwiw, there are a few gay regular posters on this board. One is a Phila. area native but currently lives in NYC. Another lives here now but is moving to NYC. Yet another(married)retired here from Houston. And there's MarketEl(above) and me. I'm a native Philadelphian.

There was another "moving to Philly" post from a gay married person just last week.

Folks are very helpful on this board, btw.
Another gay dude from across the state! Howdy, y'all! We'll be visiting your city later this year, so lock up your daughters! Seems like most of PA's City-Data is part of the LGBT community nowadays.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM

441 posts, read 185,716 times
If your intent is to live in the city and work in Haverford/BM, my recommendation would be to live somewhere that is close to both Septa and the Schuylkill "Expressway" to give yourself the best options for commuting. You will have a difficult time finding a place in the city that is 30 mins or less commute from Haverford during normal rush hour times (possibly Wynnefield, but that's not the best place in the city to live, or Manayunk, where you'll really push the 30 min limit). The neighborhoods I would consider would be reasonably close to either Suburban or 30th St station as well as the expressway: Grad Hospital, Fairmount, & University City immediately come to mind, but there are others as well. These neighborhoods are also in or close to Center City.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:13 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,353,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
If your intent is to live in the city and work in Haverford/BM, my recommendation would be to live somewhere that is close to both Septa and the Schuylkill "Expressway" to give yourself the best options for commuting. You will have a difficult time finding a place in the city that is 30 mins or less commute from Haverford during normal rush hour times (possibly Wynnefield, but that's not the best place in the city to live, or Manayunk, where you'll really push the 30 min limit). The neighborhoods I would consider would be reasonably close to either Suburban or 30th St station as well as the expressway: Grad Hospital, Fairmount, & University City immediately come to mind, but there are others as well. These neighborhoods are also in or close to Center City.
Wynnefield may not be the best place to live, but I wouldn't rule it out either. It's better than many who live outside it realize.

It has a solid stock of early 20th-century Colonials and Tudors, many freestanding - a relative rarity in Philadelphia - and most in very good condition.

In our annual Real Estate Issue this past March, I told the story of a couple of upper-level managers who moved into Wynnefield from Upper Darby because they wanted a larger house closer to where both of them worked (the wife landed a job in the city; prior to that, Upper Darby split the difference between his job at Comcast and hers in Wilmington).

The trouble with Wynnefield and Manayunk is that any public transit options from those places to Bryn Mawr/Haverford are less than convenient and will take longer than driving, even on slow-moving City and Lancaster avenues (the Schuylkill won't be the most direct way to that part of the Main Line from either of those neighborhoods, nor will it be the fastest even when it's not sclerotic).

I'll repeat my recommendation of Wash West here because it's both close to Regional Rail at Jefferson Station and close to the freeways either at 30th and Market or via the Vine Expressway westbound (onramp at 16th and Vine). That, and it's the city's historic gayborhood, should put it in first place, and you will be able to find something comfortable there within your $800K budget. (You will also be able to find such places in Rittenhouse and Grad Hospital, but they're likely to offer less for the price in Rittenhouse at least, and whil;e neither neighborhood lacks for LGBT folk, the LGBT amenities lie on the other side of Broad, for the most part.)

Old 06-06-2019, 11:16 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,353,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Another gay dude from across the state! Howdy, y'all! We'll be visiting your city later this year, so lock up your daughters! Seems like most of PA's City-Data is part of the LGBT community nowadays.
When you and yours visit, drop me a line! I'd be glad to show you all around town.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:58 AM

30,101 posts, read 67,188,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When you and yours visit, drop me a line! I'd be glad to show you all around town.
Thanks so much! We'll keep that in mind. Might be Labor Day Weekend. Still figuring plans out.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:16 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,887,224 times
WashWest is a great neighborhood, with an easy walk to Jefferson Station (I used to do it every day). Living there, you could walk anywhere in center city, as well as down to the Italian Market in South Philly. While living anywhere in center city would be fine for someone who is gay, certainly being adjacent to the "gayborhood" couldn't hurt i'm sure. Now, it doesn't have as much high rise as say Rittenhouse - it's mostly rowhomes and townhomes that have been converted to apartments/condos.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM

9,290 posts, read 5,168,641 times
Quote:
Hint. One does not need the "expressway" to commute to Haverford/ Bryn Mawr from CC. Lancaster Ave/ Rt 30 is sometimes faster.

Oy.... there's nothing wrong with Wynnfield or Wynnefield Heights. Explain why you think so. Nearby Overbrook Farms, is an incredible section of W. Phila., with actual mansions.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:25 PM

441 posts, read 185,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hint. One does not need the "expressway" to commute to Haverford/ Bryn Mawr from CC. Lancaster Ave/ Rt 30 is sometimes faster.

Oy.... there's nothing wrong with Wynnfield or Wynnefield Heights. Explain why you think so. Nearby Overbrook Farms, is an incredible section of W. Phila., with actual mansions.
I don't mean to imply that Wynnefield is a bad neighborhood. There are tons that are worse. But, OP is a coming from the West Village with an $800,000 budget. You can do better with that in terms of location in Philly. Unless a mansion is actually what you want, then I agree about Overbrook Farms.

Lancaster Ave is terrible. Driving from Wynnefield/Wynnefield Heights to Haverford or Bryn Mawr is better done on Montgomery Ave. Commuting by car from the Center City neighborhoods I mentioned would be on the expressway, however. I take the expressway to Conshy and eventually to Morris Ave, which comes out at BMC if I need to make that drive, although I don't ever need to do it during rush hour, either.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Wynnefield may not be the best place to live, but I wouldn't rule it out either. It's better than many who live outside it realize.

It has a solid stock of early 20th-century Colonials and Tudors, many freestanding - a relative rarity in Philadelphia - and most in very good condition.

In our annual Real Estate Issue this past March, I told the story of a couple of upper-level managers who moved into Wynnefield from Upper Darby because they wanted a larger house closer to where both of them worked (the wife landed a job in the city; prior to that, Upper Darby split the difference between his job at Comcast and hers in Wilmington).

The trouble with Wynnefield and Manayunk is that any public transit options from those places to Bryn Mawr/Haverford are less than convenient and will take longer than driving, even on slow-moving City and Lancaster avenues (the Schuylkill won't be the most direct way to that part of the Main Line from either of those neighborhoods, nor will it be the fastest even when it's not sclerotic).

I'll repeat my recommendation of Wash West here because it's both close to Regional Rail at Jefferson Station and close to the freeways either at 30th and Market or via the Vine Expressway westbound (onramp at 16th and Vine). That, and it's the city's historic gayborhood, should put it in first place, and you will be able to find something comfortable there within your $800K budget. (You will also be able to find such places in Rittenhouse and Grad Hospital, but they're likely to offer less for the price in Rittenhouse at least, and whil;e neither neighborhood lacks for LGBT folk, the LGBT amenities lie on the other side of Broad, for the most part.)
Thanks, for defending Wynnefield. There's, as I said, nothing wrong with it.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to imply that Wynnefield is a bad neighborhood. There are tons that are worse. But, OP is a coming from the West Village with an $800,000 budget. You can do better with that in terms of location in Philly. Unless a mansion is actually what you want, then I agree about Overbrook Farms.

Lancaster Ave is terrible. Driving from Wynnefield/Wynnefield Heights to Haverford or Bryn Mawr is better done on Montgomery Ave. Commuting by car from the Center City neighborhoods I mentioned would be on the expressway, however. I take the expressway to Conshy and eventually to Morris Ave, which comes out at BMC if I need to make that drive, although I don't ever need to do it during rush hour, either.
If one wants to deal with road rage, tail-gating, infuriating backups/delays, accidents, etc. let's go ahead and recommend that a new resident to the Phila. area experience, right away, one of the worst things about it: the expressway.

Anyhow, it makes sense to get an answer from the OP about where their job is exactly before we make further suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or