U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 688 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for all the additional replies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Where on the Main Line do you plan to work? I can give you the skinny on public transit vs. driving - even though I don't drive regularly, I'm pretty familiar with the region's transportation infrastructure (I used to write about the subject and helped The Inquirer's current transportation reporter, Jason Laughlin, get up to speed on mass transit matters hereabouts. They still know who I am at 1234 Market Street [SEPTA headquarters]).
@MarketStEl -- thanks for the local take on SEPTA. I'm fine with a 30-45 commute to and from every day; I've certainly done it before. I'll be working at Haverford College, and it definitely seems like a straight shot from Washington West.

I'm ok being east of Broad if its a bit quieter. My going-out-days are more behind me than in front of me (although I'm still fairly young I suppose).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
WashWest is a great neighborhood, with an easy walk to Jefferson Station (I used to do it every day). Living there, you could walk anywhere in center city, as well as down to the Italian Market in South Philly. While living anywhere in center city would be fine for someone who is gay, certainly being adjacent to the "gayborhood" couldn't hurt i'm sure. Now, it doesn't have as much high rise as say Rittenhouse - it's mostly rowhomes and townhomes that have been converted to apartments/condos.
I think we'd actually prefer rowhomes and townhomes, but one thing I've noticed is that they're all so tight (i.e., narrow) in Center City! That's why we were also considering the broader West Philly area -- the homes are much larger and it's at least still close to 30th street station.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:11 PM

9,298 posts, read 5,168,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newprof17 View Post
Wow, thanks for all the additional replies!!

@MarketStEl -- thanks for the local take on SEPTA. I'm fine with a 30-45 commute to and from every day; I've certainly done it before. I'll be working at Haverford College, and it definitely seems like a straight shot from Washington West.

I'm ok being east of Broad if its a bit quieter. My going-out-days are more behind me than in front of me (although I'm still fairly young I suppose).
How interesting since, as I said, I grew up in Haverford, walking distance from the college. The Haverford stop on the Septa Paoli/Thorndale regional rail line is about a 10 minute walk from/to the college.

Wrt to Washington West. Someone just posted, "I'm moving to the White Building!" Apparently this poster just got a nice loft apt in the historic White Bldg at 12th and Chestnut. Chestnut is in the midst of big physical changes in that area, btw.

As was noted Jefferson Station is what you would use from WashWest.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:17 PM

9,298 posts, read 5,168,641 times
Quote:
I think we'd actually prefer rowhomes and townhomes, but one thing I've noticed is that they're all so tight (i.e., narrow) in Center City! That's why we were also considering the broader West Philly area -- the homes are much larger and it's at least still close to 30th street station.
Look into Powelton Village which is just north of Drexel. Some nice single houses but there are some row homes.
Look on Powelton Ave, Baring St, Hamilton St. and Spring Garden St.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:54 AM

4,844 posts, read 2,353,833 times
Quote:
Well, then, you should be in clover, for this is indeed rowhome city. (That, with no space, is also the posting handle of another regular on the Philly forum here; that poster is also "family"). Row houses make up a little more than 60 percent of Philadelphia's housing stock - the highest percentage of any U.S. city. Conversely, freestanding single-family residences account for a lower percentage of the total here than anywhere else. In between are semi-detached houses, or "twins" as they are known here, and those make up a higher percentage of the housing stock than is typical in US cities as well.

I take it you have a faculty appointment at Haverford (based on your posting handle)? It's a fantastic school, one of a troika of top-notch liberal arts colleges with sterling reputations in the Philly 'burbs. Students at all three (the other two: Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore) can cross-register for courses at the others, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or