Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,581 times

Advertisements

I am a recent college graduate who has found employment in Doylestown, PA.

I am looking for an area nearby to live which has other young professionals my age (20s and 30s), and a decent night life. Further, it is important to me for there to be a reasonable amount of activities to do within the area. I know Doylestown is suburbia, but would like to keep my commute there within an hour if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 12:43 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Doylestown itself is probably your best bet.

Its a very nice somewhat lively walk-able downtown, but I don't think it has much of a nightlife besides some bars and nice restaurants.

The closest lively town I can think of is Conshohocken, but that could easily be an hour commute with traffic.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
I would recommend Manayunk. You are in Philadelphia's western edge. Commute time is about an hour. Manayunk is quite lively, and an easy uber into Center City for its abundance of nightlife (shows, concerts, etc) if desired.

Conshohocken would be my second choice. Not quite as lively as Manayunk, but a solid community. (more on the upper 20s/low 30s crowd).

Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 AM

1,395 posts, read 914,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I would recommend Manayunk. You are in Philadelphia's western edge. Commute time is about an hour. Manayunk is quite lively, and an easy uber into Center City for its abundance of nightlife (shows, concerts, etc) if desired.

Conshohocken would be my second choice. Not quite as lively as Manayunk, but a solid community. (more on the upper 20s/low 30s crowd).
The problem is that there is no good way to commute from Manayunk to Doylestown. It's questionable that this is even under an hour during rush hour. You have to take the Schuylkill to Conshohocken, then the Blue Route to the turnpike, the turnpike to 611, and 611 all the way up to Doylestown. All of those roads are jammed during rush hour.

I'd recommend looking at Doylestown first. Doylestown Boro is more of a small town than suburbia, and there is a downtown area with some bars and music venues and other nightlife activities. If that's not enough for you, then possibly look at Manayunk. Manayunk would clearly offer you the social life you're looking for, but you'll tire of that commute pretty quickly.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:34 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The problem is that there is no good way to commute from Manayunk to Doylestown. It's questionable that this is even under an hour during rush hour. You have to take the Schuylkill to Conshohocken, then the Blue Route to the turnpike, the turnpike to 611, and 611 all the way up to Doylestown. All of those roads are jammed during rush hour.

I'd recommend looking at Doylestown first. Doylestown Boro is more of a small town than suburbia, and there is a downtown area with some bars and music venues and other nightlife activities. If that's not enough for you, then possibly look at Manayunk. Manayunk would clearly offer you the social life you're looking for, but you'll tire of that commute pretty quickly.
Well, I'd probably take the turnpike to 309 and then 202, but you're right, it's not a pleasant commute regardless of what route you take.

What about Ambler? I don't know that town at all, but I hear it's fairly vibrant with a decent bar/social scene. That's only like 15 miles and 20-30 minutes from Doylestown.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Well, I'd probably take the turnpike to 309 and then 202, but you're right, it's not a pleasant commute regardless of what route you take.

What about Ambler? I don't know that town at all, but I hear it's fairly vibrant with a decent bar/social scene. That's only like 15 miles and 20-30 minutes from Doylestown.
Ambler is a good suggestion, too. It's fairly similar to Doylestown Boro or Conshohocken in being more towny than suburbia with restaurants/nightlife/social scene, but not quite urban like Manayunk. It's definitely someplace to look that is a reasonable commute to Doylestown (and may be a little cheaper than in Doylestown).

Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post

Ambler is not going to be any better than Doylestown, in terms of the town itself, and the downtown area smaller. Unfortunately, since Doylestown is so far outside of the city, there are no great options that are within a reasonable commute.

I suppose you could live somewhere in between Doylestown and the places with more nightlife (Conshy, Manayunk, Center City), so at least you wouldn't have as far to travel when you wanted to go out. Ambler would fit from that perspective, while still having a small downtown itself. You'd be looking at a 30 - 40 minute commute to Doylestown during rush hour, I would think.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:07 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Ambler is not going to be any better than Doylestown, in terms of the town itself, and the downtown area smaller. Unfortunately, since Doylestown is so far outside of the city, there are no great options that are within a reasonable commute.

I suppose you could live somewhere in between Doylestown and the places with more nightlife (Conshy, Manayunk, Center City), so at least you wouldn't have as far to travel when you wanted to go out. Ambler would fit from that perspective, while still having a small downtown itself. You'd be looking at a 30 - 40 minute commute to Doylestown during rush hour, I would think.
I've always liked Ambler - restaurants, movie theatre, general vibe. Doylestown itself always struck me as a place better suited for families & older folk, and not that great for the OP's demographic. All the towns/'hoods mentioned - Consh., Manayunk, Ambler, D'town - are on regional rail, but Doylestown is the longest and, I'm guessing, the least-frequently run of the lines (Manayunk is closest and even Uber-able to Center City).
I looked at Google Maps, just saying "Amber - Doylestown" drive time leaving at 8:30. The range was 24-45 minutes, so if OP can handle variation, Ambler could be a good location.
One thing I always recommend is asking people at the new place of employment where they live - a good conversation starter if phrased in a non-creepy way :-)

Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 PM

333 posts, read 282,820 times
Why don't you rent in Doylestown for a year and see if you like it?

Unless you want to spend over an hour in your car or an hour on the train, I think it's probably your best bet. It's one of the most urban of the suburban towns, with a real downtown, and there's a decent amount of bars and restaurants and such. I haven't spent that much time there, but the times I have gone out on weekends there, there were definitely other young people from surrounding areas. It definitely seems to skew a little younger than some of the other walkable suburbs. You'd also be near the other cool towns of New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ, which have their own scenes as well.

As much as I'd want to recommend any of the other areas, I just think the time and traffic will wear you down. Doylestown is just so far away that you don't want to be making that trek on a regular basis.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Why don't you rent in Doylestown for a year and see if you like it?

Unless you want to spend over an hour in your car or an hour on the train, I think it's probably your best bet. It's one of the most urban of the suburban towns, with a real downtown, and there's a decent amount of bars and restaurants and such. I haven't spent that much time there, but the times I have gone out on weekends there, there were definitely other young people from surrounding areas. It definitely seems to skew a little younger than some of the other walkable suburbs. You'd also be near the other cool towns of New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ, which have their own scenes as well.

As much as I'd want to recommend any of the other areas, I just think the time and traffic will wear you down. Doylestown is just so far away that you don't want to be making that trek on a regular basis.
I have gone to Maxwell's On Main (Mom's) in Doylestown a couple times to see a friend's band play. They have a great craft beer selection, good food, and (what seemed to me to be) a vibrant "scene". I don't think my friend's bar band was a huge draw, but who knows.

I have also been to Puck Live a couple times. This is more of a music hall (with bigger acts) with a bar than a bar/restaurant that hosts small local bands. That means the beer is overpriced and you have to buy a ticket, but the sound system is top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia