U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:01 PM

9,298 posts, read 5,168,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Plan B: stay at the Chestnut Hill Hotel (in NW Philly, a really lovely area unlike anywhere else in Philly), then take SEPTA regional rail to Center City (Suburban Station or Jefferson, depending on where you're headed - both stations are close to lots of attractions). You can take either of Chestnut Hill East or Chestnut Hill West lines - each takes about 25 minutes to get into town. I think parking at the hotel is free. If it isn't, it certainly won't be $50+. This will give you an opportunity to see a part of Philly that's usually ignored by tourists, and when you're ready to head to NYC, it's an easy drive to get to the PA Tpk.
OP, great suggestion.

Also check out the Philly Phlash shuttle which has stops in some of the places you intend to visit in Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 12:33 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,892,552 times
Way ahead of ya! Looking into the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour. 16% taxes for hotel accommodations. wow.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Way ahead of ya! Looking into the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour. 16% taxes for hotel accommodations. wow.
Yes, the hotel taxes are high here.

The Hop on buses are separate from Philly Phlash, btw. Different services. Usually the city is hot/humid in August so keep that in mind.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Heat and humidity shouldn't be an issue being from south Texas but can't stand rain. Once again, thank you and everyone who shared their thoughts on this thread.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,203,975 times
For cheesesteaks, please choose anywhere else except Pat's and Geno's. The cheesesteaks aren't as good as other places, the service is terrible, and it's harder to get to those locations without and Uber/Lyft than many other locations. Most locals won't go- it's become a true tourist trap.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 AM

295 posts, read 109,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
For cheesesteaks, please choose anywhere else except Pat's and Geno's. The cheesesteaks aren't as good as other places, the service is terrible, and it's harder to get to those locations without and Uber/Lyft than many other locations. Most locals won't go- it's become a true tourist trap.
Pats and Genos may not be the best but it's in the ball park of the other better cheesesteak places. They both use non-frozen rib-eye which is the key. The rolls are decent too. I wouldn't tell a tourist not to go there because part of the experience is being at 9th and Passyunk while you are eating it. It's very iconic and a known site nationwide. Every nationally broadcast football game in Philadelphia is going to have footage from that intersection.

I can probably make a cheesesteak at home better than most of the places out there but having a tourist come to my kitchen probably isn't the experience they are looking for.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:26 AM

I can't remember the name but there's a open air food market I have seen in pictures that looks really cool. The bad part about staying a day is not being able to try all the different places folks recommend. We love Thai so it looks like CinCin is up there on a place to visit.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:18 PM

220 posts, read 109,379 times
Yeah I never get why people insist on telling out of towners to avoid going to Pat's and Geno's. It's like telling non New Yorker's "Don't visit the Statue of Liberty, it's crowded as hell, security is ridiculous, it's not worth it." It's just a touristy thing to do, relax.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I can't remember the name but there's a open air food market I have seen in pictures that looks really cool. The bad part about staying a day is not being able to try all the different places folks recommend. We love Thai so it looks like CinCin is up there on a place to visit.
If you are only staying a day you will be pressed for time as it is with the places on your list. The only place I can think of that might be what you are talking about is the Reading Terminal Market( RTM). It's not open air. It's very historic and definitely a tourist destination. Its name comes from the former Reading Terminal Station of the Reading Railroad which used to sit above the market. Nowadays the old station's major structure( the massive train shed arch) is part of the PA Convention Ctr.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:51 PM

386 posts, read 520,472 times
Default Italian Market is an open air market

Quote:
OK, so remember when Rocky was running through the open air market and there were these burly vendors hanging around the burning barrels?

That's the Italian Market. Open air mostly. Some butchers, cheese shops, bakers, fish mongers with indoor shops. Lotsa lotsa food. Oriental... Spanish... I've seen live blue crabs outside. Biggest mushrooms you've ever seen in your life. Bell peppers the size of softballs, bocce balls...

If you're on the Phlash bus get off around 9th & South then go south from there. It's not far. Had a friend who heard so much about the Italian Market, so I took her. She was stunned and not in a good way. She's used to getting her food on styrofoam trays wrapped in plastic. The sights & smells were too much. However, I love it and I have many friends who do. Think foreign bazaar. All good. Not so much Italian nowadays, more Asian and Hispanic but it is the United Nations really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or