U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:42 AM

7 posts, read 2,083 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Philly this summer. We are looking for a diverse neighborhood that is safe (petty crime ok, just no huge murder/drug issues), walkable, and has easy access to public transportation. We are looking for a 3 bed minimum for under 250k. We would prefer a garage or off street parking or at least space for a shed. Online I like MT Airy, lower Roxborough, Olney, Wynnfield, and safer spots of Logan possibly. Any thoughts on these neighborhoods or others that may fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 04:23 PM

508 posts, read 439,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epomccurdy View Post
My family and I are moving to Philly this summer. We are looking for a diverse neighborhood that is safe (petty crime ok, just no huge murder/drug issues), walkable, and has easy access to public transportation. We are looking for a 3 bed minimum for under 250k. We would prefer a garage or off street parking or at least space for a shed. Online I like MT Airy, lower Roxborough, Olney, Wynnfield, and safer spots of Logan possibly. Any thoughts on these neighborhoods or others that may fit the bill?
East Mt. Airy seems like it would be right up your alley. There are plenty of houses in great areas for ~$250k. It is considered diverse, however, it is mostly black and white. The black and white population in Mt. Airy, however, mixes well and gets along much better than other "diverse" neighborhoods. Crime is minimal and the area generally feels very safe. I would recommend avoiding the "dogtown" section which is the area between Germantown and Chew and south of Gorgas lane. That area has some blight issues and some problems with crime.

Roxborough is a good neighborhood but is not particularly diverse and does not have particularly good public transportation. You would be stuck with a rather long bus ride into the city and no train options. Ridge ave is a decent main street though.

Wynnfield is generally considered safe. It is almost entirely black so not really diverse. It doesn't really have a main street but you could make to suburban style storefronts on City line Ave. Public transit is limited but there are two regional rail stations on the edges of the neighborhood.

Olney is great and you would not have trouble finding a house in your budget. It is extremely diverse. North 5th Street is one of Philly's most vibrant commercial corridors, though it is not considered hip or cool. Some great ethnic restaurants. Crime is probably a bit higher than the other neighborhoods mentioned. You can live within easy access to the Broad Street line. An often overlooked gem IMHO.

I don't know anything about Logan so I can't speak to it. Hopefully someone with more info about logan will answer your post.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info! Now that I'm looking at the map the "Roxborough" I was looking at is more like the Manayunk/Wissahickon area. Idk what "suburbs" are like there, where I'm from suburbs are more like housing developments and strip malls, is that similar?

Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 PM

337 posts, read 209,032 times
Most suburbs here have older housing stock, and many have their own established downtowns. We moved here 5 yrs ago, in my former state suburbs had no character, thats not as much of a case here

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Now that I'm looking at the map the "Roxborough" I was looking at is more like the Manayunk/Wissahickon area. Idk what "suburbs" are like there, where I'm from suburbs are more like housing developments and strip malls, is that similar?

Old 07-04-2019, 07:09 AM

228 posts, read 70,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Most suburbs here have older housing stock, and many have their own established downtowns. We moved here 5 yrs ago, in my former state suburbs had no character, thats not as much of a case here
I'm pretty new here but would agree that the suburbs here are not lacking in character or variety. Some are bland, others have a lot of energy, and there is also cookie cutter if you prefer that.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 AM

5,607 posts, read 2,739,070 times
I would add Germantown's northwest quadrant to your list.

I point out often that the neighborhood-wide stats for the zip codes that correspond to all* of Mount Airy (19119) and most of Germantown (19144, which includes a bit of upper East Falls and omits the easternmost part of East Germantown; I live in the zip code that encompasses that part, 19138) hide a good bit more diversity than they reveal.

In Mount Airy, the poor disappear: Dogtown, the southeast quarter of the neighborhood, is largely lower-income, though not terribly crime-ridden, and the poorest Census tract in Mount Airy lies at West Mount Airy's southeast corner, beginning across the street from Cliveden.

In Germantown, the rich and the white folks do: The neighborhood is 85 percent black and has a median household income in the mid-$20k range, but five percent of its residents earn $125k or more a year and 15 percent of them are white. You will find most of those whites to Germantown Avenue's west, and most of the affluent residents in that northwest quadrant, which includes the Tulpehocken Station Historic District, Germantown's wealthiest Census tract. (The Penn-Knox enclave south of Chelten Avenue and west of Greene Street, not far from the Germantown Cricket Club, is also fairly affluent.)

Most of the violent crime in Germantown occurs in my part of it, east of Germantown Avenue. Yes, there's some west of the avenue too, but not much in the northwest quadrant.

(To give you another window into the neighborhood's diversity: my Census tract, which straddles Chew Avenue, has an MHI barely above $20k per year; I joke that I caused the figure to rise by $2000 per year just by moving into it. Yet on the other side of Chew you will find an enclave of large, well-kept, single-family freestanding houses that sell for $450k and up. This pocket of African-American affluence is home to the Philadelphia Tennis Club, the oldest (and maybe only) black-owned and -run tennis club in the city, and to a number of academics, best known of them Marc Lamont Hill, an activist-scholar who also runs the most popular coffee house in the neighborhood, Uncle Bobbie's Coffee and Books, right on Market Square, Germantown's historic town center.)

*The asterisk exists because there's a section outside that zip code whose residents will tell you they live in Mount Airy but that lies outside the boundaries of East Mount Airy Neighbors' territory, which ends at Stenton Avenue. City planners and many outsiders call this neighborhood Cedarbrook; some call it Stenton; the residents by and large hate it when they do. In part that's because the builders who developed this little chunk of Northeast Philly that got lost on its way to the Boulevard right after WWII gave their subdivisions names like "The Estates at Mt. Airy." This area, which just about conforms to the boundaries of zip code 19150, started out as heavily Jewish and is now about 98 percent African-American and solidly middle-middle class, replicating a succession pattern found in a number of large American cities.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:22 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,092,190 times
Quote:
You've already received good feedback from other posts, but it might help to copy and reply to the questions found at Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information..

It's been 11+ years since my wife and I moved to East Mt Airy (from Chapel Hill NC), and we couldn't be happier with our choice ... Safe. Good access to Center City (2 regional rail lines). Beautiful (almost every street is on Google Street View). Day-to-day shopping (banks, groceries, etc.) are a short drive (we're at the point now, after having been in the 'burbs in NC, where a 15+ minute drive seems interminable). $250k housing budget might be problematic, but I'd be willing to bet that with a good realtor and enough patience you can find something.

But do fill out the Potential Residents form. It'll give people on the forum a clearer idea of what you're looking for and might surface some issues that you might not have considered.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the input everybody anymore thoughts on Olney or other neighborhoods I didn't mention?

When are you moving? July/August
Where are you coming from? Austin by way of Denver and Detroit
Why are you moving? Job at Subaru of America
Where will you be working? Husband in Camden, me unsure
Have you been here yet? One week in March

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? 230 max
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: N/A http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Married Do you have children? 2 kids one elementary, on highschool hopefully attending Hallahan
Do you prefer public or private schools? I'd prefer public, but we'll do what we have to
Do you have pets? dogs and cats
Do you want or need a yard? Prefer at least a small yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I like a mix of activity and quiet. I like to feel connected but be Ble to escape to solitude too

What do you want to be closest to?
Work 5
Shopping 2
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) 1
Nightlife 4
Train or subway stations 3

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I prefer diversity

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Wine, bubble tea!

Old 07-05-2019, 06:01 AM

940 posts, read 243,420 times
Being as your husband will be working in Camden, I'd strongly suggest Bridesburg. But it may be a little too white and safe for your liking.
Olney sounds like a better fit for you. (Try Kim's Restaurant at 5th and Champlost).

Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 AM

5,607 posts, read 2,739,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Being as your husband will be working in Camden, I'd strongly suggest Bridesburg. But it may be a little too white and safe for your liking.
Olney sounds like a better fit for you. (Try Kim's Restaurant at 5th and Champlost).
Actually, if you'd like something just a little more sylvan than Olney, you might want to try the neighborhood just to its west, East Oak Lane.

I once called this neighborhood at North Philly's uppermost edge one of the city's best-kept secrets in a PhillyMag real estate feature. It's home to the only two Census tracts in North Philadelphia with MHIs in the six figures, and it's filled with large Colonials and Tudors, a smattering of Victorians and even a few Art Deco and Moderne houses, most free-standing (a rarity in Philadelphia, where rowhouses make up a higher percentage of the housing stock than in any other US city).

It's convenient to Regional Rail in the city, with stations lying just over its northern and southern borders (Melrose Park to the north, across Cheltenham Avenue in Cheltenham Township; Fern Rock to the south, which is also the northern end of the Broad Street subway line).

It's one of those pockets of African-American affluence you find scattered across the city, most of which (like the one in Germantown) fly under the general media radar unless people like me tout them. (See the March 2019 PhillyMag Real Estate Issue for another example of me touting one of those neighborhoods.)

Two big downsides, however, to living here, based on your critieria: You will probably find houses listing for <$250k exceedingly scarce, and the neighborhood has no commercial activity (shopping, restaurants, nightlife) to speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or