U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 06:54 PM

26,201 posts, read 24,950,210 times

Advertisements

Philadelphians don't have an inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 11:24 AM

28,818 posts, read 26,912,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
What are the cultural differences?
Much larger West Indian and Jewish presence in Brooklyn.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
What neighborhood in Philly is the closest to Fort Greene?
As far as the "closest," I would probably say somewhere around Cedar Park in West Philly.

Ft. Greene was a predominantly African American neighborhood between WWII and the early 00s. In the 90s, it was known for a large Black bohemian community, which included Erykah Badu, the Roots for some time, Saul Williams, Chris Rock, and more. It's also home to one of the city's most beautiful parks, which has hosted the East Coast's largest outdoor house party for at least a dozen years. Today, the neighborhood is mostly a mix of younger professionals, some hipsters, and a declining Black population. Shiny new condos buildings are popping up on its outskirts. At the same time, the neighborhood is still home to some important Black institutions such as MoCADA and Spike Lee's film company, 40 Acres and a Mule.

There's nowhere in Philly that really fits that description. There used to be a stretch of Baltimore Avenue that had some semblance of that; Leroy's was a near equivalent of Mo's and there were a couple of other spots that were similar to a Night of the Cookers. But generally, no, there's no neighborhood in Philly that really gives off that Black artsy vibe, which is honestly what Ft. Greene is still known for today even if that's not so much the reality anymore.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5v_QNb08SE

Old 11-19-2019, 12:25 PM

5,584 posts, read 2,727,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As far as the "closest," I would probably say somewhere around Cedar Park in West Philly.

Ft. Greene was a predominantly African American neighborhood between WWII and the early 00s. In the 90s, it was known for a large Black bohemian community, which included Erykah Badu, the Roots for some time, Saul Williams, Chris Rock, and more. It's also home to one of the city's most beautiful parks, which has hosted the East Coast's largest outdoor house party for at least a dozen years. Today, the neighborhood is mostly a mix of younger professionals, some hipsters, and a declining Black population. Shiny new condos buildings are popping up on its outskirts. At the same time, the neighborhood is still home to some important Black institutions such as MoCADA and Spike Lee's film company, 40 Acres and a Mule.

There's nowhere in Philly that really fits that description. There used to be a stretch of Baltimore Avenue that had some semblance of that; Leroy's was a near equivalent of Mo's and there were a couple of other spots that were similar to a Night of the Cookers. But generally, no, there's no neighborhood in Philly that really gives off that Black artsy vibe, which is honestly what Ft. Greene is still known for today even if that's not so much the reality anymore.
About the only Philly neighborhood that I would say comes close to Fort Greene in terms of African-American artsiness/bohemian spirit is the one I live in now, Germantown. This was where Sun Ra maintained his intergalactic embassy, and his Arkestra remains in residence there. It's also home to "the best jazz club in Philadelphia you've never heard of," La Rose Jazz Club - the aficionados know to go there, but the rest of the city doesn't.

But it doesn't have the house-party scene you describe, nor does it resemble Fort Greene physically, and I'd say it was more boho when I moved here in 1983 than it is now.

It's still overwhelmingly (80 percent) black and poor (MHI neighborhood-wide in the upper $20k range). But it's also more diverse than those stats let on: not all of its white residents (15 percent of the population today) fled during the era of white flight, and it has a smattering of affluence: five percent of the residents have household incomes >= $125k annually.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
About the only Philly neighborhood that I would say comes close to Fort Greene in terms of African-American artsiness/bohemian spirit is the one I live in now, Germantown. This was where Sun Ra maintained his intergalactic embassy, and his Arkestra remains in residence there. It's also home to "the best jazz club in Philadelphia you've never heard of," La Rose Jazz Club - the aficionados know to go there, but the rest of the city doesn't.

But it doesn't have the house-party scene you describe, nor does it resemble Fort Greene physically, and I'd say it was more boho when I moved here in 1983 than it is now.

It's still overwhelmingly (80 percent) black and poor (MHI neighborhood-wide in the upper $20k range). But it's also more diverse than those stats let on: not all of its white residents (15 percent of the population today) fled during the era of white flight, and it has a smattering of affluence: five percent of the residents have household incomes >= $125k annually.
Definitely not Germantown. At least not in my lifetime. For one, the population was never skewed towards younger professionals. Ft. Greene, on the other hand, has always been a very fashionable place for younger Black people. It's where Sanaa Lathan's character Sidney lives in "Brown Sugar," for example, and it's likely where the show "Living Single" takes place.

The reason I said Cedar Park is that you have the Black population there, the sorta defunct Black artsy scene (i.e., Leroy's) and then the strong gentrification push down Baltimore Ave. That's probably the closest. But there's nothing in Philadelphia that really comes close to that. That's no strike against Philly since almost no cities have anything close to that.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

109 posts, read 42,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Much larger West Indian and Jewish presence in Brooklyn.
Yeah I'm Black American-ADOS and I'm guessing that's most of the makeup of Philadelphia as far as black population goes. Where's a Brooklyn we got a little bit of every Caribbean island as well as ados.

Old Today, 10:34 AM

109 posts, read 42,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Any pics of this hood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or