U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,633,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I just moved back to Philly after 13 years in Brooklyn. While there are lots of superficial similarities to find..theres still the fact that Brooklyn is the size of Chicago. Its the biggest borough of NYC. It's a really big place with lots of different areas. I think it's easier to find Philly in Brooklyn than it is to find Brooklyn in Philly. If that makes any sense.

And I think the vibe is pretty different. I always say that people shouldnt come to Philly and look for New York, because you wont find it. Philly has got it's own distinct flavor, and you've got to love it (or not) for what it is. That said, I'm very happy to be back.
People should try to remember that Brooklyn used to be its own city too. That's one other thing that makes it different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 AM

1,251 posts, read 719,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
You don’t really go to North Philly or Southwest Philly unless you have to either. For different reasons, I get (danger vs. boring) that, but NE Philly’s Jewish history and presence, along with a more suburban feel, remind me of areas like Forest Hills in Queens. Staten Island and South Philly hold their reputations as the most Italian sections of their respective cities.

Both Staten Island and Queens have plenty of parts that feel more suburban, others that still feel urban. Granted South Philly feels exclusively urban in housing stock, but it is also broken up by I-95 and then a bunch of suburban style strip malls, power centers, big box stores. So, all four areas have some suburban flavor to them.
I still think you're reaching here, and they don't compare nearly enough to even be compared in the first place. Nobody would look at even the more urban parts of Staten Island and think, "oh yeah! South Philly because of all the Italians!" I lived in various parts of South Philly for 5 years, and you don't really feel the Italian presence anymore unless you go into the old school neighborhoods that haven't changed much in 40 years (i.e Deep South Philly). It is largely gentrified yuppie (GradHo, Passyunk, Queen Village, etc) or diverse and gentrifying (Newbold, Point Breeze, etc.). The two just aren't comparable.

Quote:
One good comparison I will give between Staten Island and NE Philly is politics. Staten Island is the lone Republican borough. And while I wouldn’t call NE Philly strictly Republican, it’s pretty evenly split and is the most politically balanced of all of the sections of Philly.
I agree with you here, and it's yet another reason you'd never want to live in either place.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 AM

45 posts, read 14,373 times
Well I can see that, although crown heights also reminds me of areas around Temple also.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 AM

1,184 posts, read 376,609 times
Looks like Brooklyn has embraced the same stupid and dangerous concept as Roosevelt Boulevard, albeit only for 2.5 miles.

https://goo.gl/maps/QGkAQRMvkeozsBJHA

https://goo.gl/maps/ByofHXiMjQZg3vFF6

Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 AM

103 posts, read 40,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I just moved back to Philly after 13 years in Brooklyn. While there are lots of superficial similarities to find..theres still the fact that Brooklyn is the size of Chicago. Its the biggest borough of NYC. It's a really big place with lots of different areas. I think it's easier to find Philly in Brooklyn than it is to find Brooklyn in Philly. If that makes any sense.

And I think the vibe is pretty different. I always say that people shouldnt come to Philly and look for New York, because you wont find it. Philly has got it's own distinct flavor, and you've got to love it (or not) for what it is. That said, I'm very happy to be back.
What about the people? Are Philly people similar to Brooklyn people?

Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 AM

1,251 posts, read 719,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
Again depends what part of Brooklyn you are talking about. Yuppie Brooklyn? Hipster Brooklyn? Old-money Brooklyn? Working class Brooklyn? Ghetto Brooklyn?

Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 PM

103 posts, read 40,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Again depends what part of Brooklyn you are talking about. Yuppie Brooklyn? Hipster Brooklyn? Old-money Brooklyn? Working class Brooklyn? Ghetto Brooklyn?
The overall flavor of the people in general.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 PM

226 posts, read 68,478 times
Seriously, spend a little time in Philly and see if you like it. What you really really want to know is if you'll like it here.

Asking people on CD to compare them won't answer that for you.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:10 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,809,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
I just said that I thought the vibe was pretty different, in my post that you quoted. But you can visit and form your own opinion, as others have suggested.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:01 AM

90 posts, read 23,858 times
Center City/Downtown is like Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan but more of a square street pattern instead of zig zags. It has a very historic feel along the Delaware River.

eastern South Philly (east of Broad) is more like Bensonhurst, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge. Historically Italian, but with gorwing Mexican and Asian (Indian, Chinese, SE Asian) presence, as well as wealthier whites "hispters".

western South Philly (west of Broad) is more like western Crown Heights and Prospect Heights, some parts are being gentrified by whites, some parts are low income Black American areas.

Southwest Philly is like Canarsie/Flatlands area. Declining white population (Irish) and increasing black population (Black American, Caribbean, African)

West Philly is like Flatbush and Crown Heights. Predominately Black American but with a large and growing number of Caribbean blacks from places like Jamaica, Haiti, and Trinidad, as well as Africans from Liberia.

Fishtown and lower North Philly (south of Girard) is more like Red Hook, Williamsburg, Park Slope, or the Village in Manhattan. Wealthy hipster type whites. Many portions are previously black/hispanic gentrified areas. Also a small portion north of Center City has a Chinese presence

eastern North Philly (east of Broad) is similar to the Bed Stuy-Bushwick border in Northwest Brooklyn, as Broadway separates more Hispanic Bushwick from blacker Bed Stuy same way Germantown Avenue does in North Philly. Another comparasion would be black Central Harlem and Hispanic East Harlem, or even parts of the South Bronx maybe. The area has a large Caribbean Hispanic population, especially Puerto Ricans and to a lesser degree Dominicans. Race aside, it feels like East NY.

western North Philly (west of Broad) is similar to Bed Stuy or Harlem in black pride but like Brownsville or East NY in Crime. The area is Philly's Black American epicenter, being over 90% Black American, having very few whites, Hispanics, or immigrant blacks.

Kensington/Riverwards is more like Williamsburg but with the opposite transition, decreasing white population and increasing minorites. The area is transitioning from ethnic whited (Polish, Irish) to Puerto Rican and some Black American, as well smaller numbers of other blacks/hispanics.

Lower Northeast (close to Uptown and Kensington) is more like somewhere in Queens. Previously mostly white, now its super diverse, with increasing black (Black American, Caribbean, African), hispanic (PR, DR, Brazilian, Mexican), and asian (many types) populations.

Upper Northeast (far northeast corner of the city, going towards Trenton) most like Staten Island or a Brooklyn comparision would be Bergen Beach. The last bastion of middle class (non-hipster) whiteness in the city of Philadelphia, the rest of them are in the suburbs .

Uptown (northern most part of Philly, north/northwest of Roosevelt Parkway) mostly like Canarsie, East Flatbush, or the 90s in Brownsville. Predominately Black American with smaller numbers of whites, hispanics, and caribbean blacks.

Keep in mind the black/hispanic areas may have ethnic similarities to NYC, but they have crime/poverty more comparable to Chicago. North Philly is more dangerous than anywhere in NYC, which is arguably now one of the safest cities in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or