U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:20 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,251 posts, read 719,774 times
Reputation: 1893

Advertisements

I've never heard a single person refer to any place in Philadelphia as "Uptown". That's a Manhattan thing that I think many Philly people are conscious to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,767 posts, read 26,883,900 times
Reputation: 12023
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No, we don't call those "Uptown" we call them by their actual names.
I don't know who "we" is but Germantown has always been considered Uptown, or at least among Black Philadelphians. There used to be a Facebook group called "Uptown Philly" that was mostly Germantown people. There was even a group for Brickyard kids, which may be defunct now.

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of forumers don't know what it is even if they've lived in Philly for a long time. I'm sure a lot of lifelong Eagles' fans didn't know what "Dreams and Nightmares" was either until it became the unofficial anthem of the 2018 Super Bowl-winning team.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-4UCHr6XIE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:38 PM
 
Location: The Left Toast
1,220 posts, read 1,485,683 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No, we don't call those "Uptown" we call them by their actual names.
Nah.. Lots of people from up there call it " Uptown" these days. They even have Facebook Groups using the name. When came back to the city, it kinda surprised me to hear that being used. I would remind them that the area around Broad & York was the original " Uptown."

Well now they'll remind anyone who questions it, that the area in North Philly is has seen it's day and that they're truly the people residing in " Uptown " Philadelphia. 😜
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,767 posts, read 26,883,900 times
Reputation: 12023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Nah.. Lots of people from up there call it " Uptown" these days. They even have Facebook Groups using the name. When came back to the city, it kinda surprised me to hear that being used. I would remind them that the area around Broad & York was the original " Uptown."

Well now they'll remind anyone who questions it, that the area in North Philly is has seen it's day and that they're truly the people residing in " Uptown " Philadelphia. ��
When I was growing up, Germantown and Oak Lane were known as "Uptown." North Philly was simply referred to as "Norf."

But you're talking to someone who grew up listening to R.A.M. Squad, Three Times Dope, Murda Mill, Peedi, Freeway, Beans, Charli Baltimore, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,551 posts, read 2,713,512 times
Reputation: 3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
When I was growing up, Germantown and Oak Lane were known as "Uptown." North Philly was simply referred to as "Norf."

But you're talking to someone who grew up listening to R.A.M. Squad, Three Times Dope, Murda Mill, Freeway, Beans, Charli Baltimore, etc.
So maybe like "Northwest Philly" it's a neologism?

After all, we grew up listening to Martha and the Vandellas, The Supremes, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, the O'Jays and folks like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,767 posts, read 26,883,900 times
Reputation: 12023
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
So maybe like "Northwest Philly" it's a neologism?

After all, we grew up listening to Martha and the Vandellas, The Supremes, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, the O'Jays and folks like that.
Perhaps. It's something I've always known and thought was common knowledge among most residents. Molefi Asante is 77 years old and wrote this in his "memoir."

Quote:
Germantown is still Uptown Philly, it's like a ten-minute ride from Olney.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q2...lly%22&f=false

That doesn't necessarily answer the question of whether he referred to it that way when he was growing up, but it certainly shows that even some septuagenarians are aware of the reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,767 posts, read 26,883,900 times
Reputation: 12023
I think the short answer is that it can be either very similar or very different depending upon your perspective. Someone coming from Tennessee may say they are very similar while someone coming from North Jersey might say they have nothing in common.

In historical broadstrokes, they are pretty similar with sizable White Ethnic populations and large Black populations, as well as a general reputation for toughness and grit. In the present day, the two are somewhat dissimilar with Brooklyn having received a heavy infusion of immigration from the Caribbean, the Middle East and Eastern Europe that makes your grandfather's Brooklyn nearly unrecognizable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,551 posts, read 2,713,512 times
Reputation: 3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Perhaps. It's something I've always known and thought was common knowledge among most residents. Molefi Asante is 77 years old and wrote this in his "memoir."



https://books.google.com/books?id=Q2...lly%22&f=false

That doesn't necessarily answer the question of whether he referred to it that way when he was growing up, but it certainly shows that even some septuagenarians are aware of the reference.
So he grew up somewhere around where I live now: my bus ride to Olney subway station takes 8 minutes.

Learn something new every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,767 posts, read 26,883,900 times
Reputation: 12023
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
So he grew up somewhere around where I live now: my bus ride to Olney subway station takes 8 minutes.

Learn something new every day.
There was a spirited debate on the NYC forum years ago in which several posters insisted that Harlem was not "Uptown." They even posted Time Out NY articles and Billy Joel videos in support of their position. That came as a surprise to many residents of Harlem and the Bronx, which are considered by many to be the only "Uptown."

My point, I guess, is that we all live in bubbles to some degree.

Side Note: All of the Uptown/Downtown debate reminds me of a scene in Game of Thrones. Osha calls Bran a southerner and he bristles at the label, saying he was raised in the North. Osha responds, "You're from south of the Wall, and in my book, that makes you a southerner."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,551 posts, read 2,713,512 times
Reputation: 3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There was a spirited debate on the NYC forum years ago in which several posters insisted that Harlem was not "Uptown." They even posted Time Out NY articles and Billy Joel videos in support of their position. That came as a surprise to many residents of Harlem and the Bronx, which are considered by many to be the only "Uptown."

My point, I guess, is that we all live in bubbles to some degree.

Side Note: All of the Uptown/Downtown debate reminds me of a scene in Game of Thrones. Osha calls Bran a southerner and he bristles at the label, saying he was raised in the North. Osha responds, "You're from south of the Wall, and in my book, that makes you a southerner."
Being a native of Missouri and of Kansas City, that "Game of Thrones" snippet hits home.

Missouri is not classed as a Southern state, but because it did have slavery and because it is culturally Southern in its southeast quarter, some class it as one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top