U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 AM

103 posts, read 39,937 times

Advertisements

I had a couple of aunts that that live in Philly years ago but it's been years since I've been there. I heard a lot of people from New York moving to Philly but I'm rather skeptical. How different is Philly from Brooklyn as far as call travel and demographics housing traveling and walkability you know things of that nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Was the question that offensive?

Old 07-05-2019, 08:36 AM

1,251 posts, read 719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
Was the question that offensive?
You posted on 4th of July, when most people aren't sitting around at home on City Data all day, lol.

What part of Brooklyn are you talking about? East New York? Williamsburg? Red Hook? Coney Island? Brooklyn is a big place with very distinctive neighborhoods. The same goes for Philly? Do you wanna compare it to North Philly? Center City? The Far Northeast? University City? You need to be much more specific because these are two very big and very diverse places.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:54 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,631,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
I had a couple of aunts that that live in Philly years ago but it's been years since I've been there. I heard a lot of people from New York moving to Philly but I'm rather skeptical. How different is Philly from Brooklyn as far as call travel and demographics housing traveling and walkability you know things of that nature?
Certainly you know how close Phila. is to Brooklyn. There are a variety of ways to get here and some are pretty inexpensive. Make the trip, if you are that interested, and find out on your own.

But, one answer wrt housing. Some of these moves from NY do indeed have to do with housing. Units that rent for 3 grand in NY are, maybe 2 grand or less in Phila.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:16 AM

3,787 posts, read 3,267,348 times
Check out the video linked below for a visual comparison of north/northeast Philly with Brooklyn. This area is flat with old housing but you won't see 6 story brick apartment buildings as you see all over Brooklyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXF_-zkB_I

Old 07-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You posted on 4th of July, when most people aren't sitting around at home on City Data all day, lol.

What part of Brooklyn are you talking about? East New York? Williamsburg? Red Hook? Coney Island? Brooklyn is a big place with very distinctive neighborhoods. The same goes for Philly? Do you wanna compare it to North Philly? Center City? The Far Northeast? University City? You need to be much more specific because these are two very big and very diverse places.
I'm talking overall. Are the two places similar in culture and makeup? I'm from Brooklyn btw

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Check out the video linked below for a visual comparison of north/northeast Philly with Brooklyn. This area is flat with old housing but you won't see 6 story brick apartment buildings as you see all over Brooklyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXF_-zkB_I

Thanks

Old 07-05-2019, 09:34 AM

354 posts, read 142,449 times
As others said, there is a lot of nuance and variation. But keeping things general, here's my summation (except everything in Philly is on a MUCH smaller scale):
  • North Philly is like the Bronx
  • West Philly is like Harlem (while Harlem's gentrification was still in its infancy) - Think of University City in West Philly as Columbia is in Harlem.
  • Center City is like Manhattan - But with less bankers and filthy rich people
  • South Philly, Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and Manayunk are like Brooklyn - However, the architecture isn't as cute
  • Philly's Northern Suburbs are like Queens, Staten Island (and NJ)
  • Philly's Western Suburbs are like Connecticut and Westchester County (and NJ)
  • Philly also has suburbs stretching into NJ, but they always seemed "foreign".

Old 07-05-2019, 09:51 AM

21 posts, read 22,659 times
I'm from NYC and lived in Brooklyn for ten years. Have lived in Philly for 5.

Parts of South Philly remind me of Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Gravesend
Fairmount has a Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Carroll Gardens vibe
Northern Liberties and Fishtown = Williamsburg, Bushwick
Rittenhouse, Fitler Square is like Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill
Brewerytown reminds me of what Crown Heights and Prospect Heights used to be like

When I first moved here I was obsessed with making these comparisons LOL

Old 07-05-2019, 01:01 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,631,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondpocky View Post
I'm from NYC and lived in Brooklyn for ten years. Have lived in Philly for 5.

Parts of South Philly remind me of Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Gravesend
Fairmount has a Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Carroll Gardens vibe
Northern Liberties and Fishtown = Williamsburg, Bushwick
Rittenhouse, Fitler Square is like Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill
Brewerytown reminds me of what Crown Heights and Prospect Heights used to be like

When I first moved here I was obsessed with making these comparisons LOL
It's okay to make comparisons. Kinda natural. But, I hope, you understand now that making those comparisons robs Phila. of its own history and identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or