U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 11:57 AM

398 posts, read 160,046 times

Advertisements

How is Aldan viewed today as a town? Upscale, blue collar, slum, great? I'm an old guy and was born there (Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital) in 1942. I have foggy memories of living on Priscilla Lane. We moved to Virginia when I was about four, but I revisited the house in the mid-1990s. It looked the same as I remembered it. Well kept, nice street, clean, etc. Anyone from Aldan have thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 AM

1,100 posts, read 770,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
How is Aldan viewed today as a town? Upscale, blue collar, slum, great? I'm an old guy and was born there (Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital) in 1942. I have foggy memories of living on Priscilla Lane. We moved to Virginia when I was about four, but I revisited the house in the mid-1990s. It looked the same as I remembered it. Well kept, nice street, clean, etc. Anyone from Aldan have thoughts?
I spent some time in Delco, living in Brookhaven for a short while and attending Cardinal O'Hara until I graduated in 2013. My impression of Aldan has been that it's a stable blue-collar community, but also slightly trashy. Clifton Heights is seen in the same light, as are some of the other nearby communities in that part of Delco (Glenolden, Norwood, Prospect Park, etc.). Baltimore Pike is the true delineation between the wealthier areas to the north and the more working-class areas to the south, with the notable exceptions of Swarthmore (you're not a local if you pronounce the "r" in Swarthmore) and Rose Valley.

I absolutely LOVE Gaetano's though! I live in the city, but I don't mind going out of my way to take the El to 69th Street and the 102 trolley to get some of that deliciousness!

Old 09-26-2019, 07:12 AM

31 posts, read 8,322 times
Quote:
Aldan has too many people who wish they were hood. It's basically the complete opposite of Clifton Heights and Lansdowne. I've never personally lived people but have known people from there and have lived close enough before to know the area well. A lot of kids seem to take being part of William Penn SD to heart. It's pretty pathetic. Sorry to tell you.

And PhilliesPhan, Gaetano's is in Clifton. There's also a new spot called Rams Head.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:27 AM

37 posts, read 43,356 times
Quote:
Hey! I live in Aldan and know a ton of people on the Priscilla/Merion loop that have been there for 30, 40, 50+ years. It's a quiet borough with lots of civic engagement for the small size-- the rec center is currently undergoing a nice expansion, volunteers at Aldan Elementary built a community garden and a new playground in the last year or two, the Trolley Museum was fixed up recently, the Boosters have been raising funds to have these huge 3rd/4th of July parties: They close down the trolley lines around Duffy Field on the 3rd and hire a band with local restaurants, beer garden, etc., then on the 4th the parade goes through town and ends on Duffy Field where a bunch of events for the kids are setup. There was hot air balloon last year.

I wouldn't call it upscale, but I can tell you that my house appraisal grew $10-$20k over the last 5 years. I have just as many neighbors working white collar jobs as blue collar jobs and a lot of people are retirees and vets. The high school isn't very good, but I know parents love Aldan Elementary and the middle school. There's a law suit between the school board and the state over fair funding and if the school wins and the tax bill decreases, I would imagine home prices go through the roof.

Unfortunately, a lot of the trees have been fairing poorly with storms the last few years and more than a few two hundred year old oak trees have disappeared, but Priscilla is still one of the nicest blocks in town. You know those houses were built around 1942 or so, right when you were born. I have to imagine that the Dogwoods, Cedars, Cherry, Magnolia, and Red Bud trees were all planted around the same time.

Per the other posters, I think people who tend to think of Aldan as "trashy" or "hood" are just making a judgement on my working class neighbors, black and white, who still keep a nice yard, decorate for holidays, and help shovel their elderly neighbors walk when it snows despite working for a living.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:10 AM

7,188 posts, read 7,596,381 times
Aldan is a fine place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia