U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Havertown could definitely work. You'll probably need to go over your minimum on budget, but can get something without having to go all the way to $400K. The Norristown High Speed Line, which would take you to 69th Street to switch to the El, goes through Havertown. Any of the stations from Ardmore Avenue to Penfield would be convenient, but the ones that are technically in Havertown are Penfield, Beechwood/Brookline, and Wynnewood Road.

ETA: Just did a quick search online for houses in H-town between $250K and $400K, 3+ bedrooms, 1+ bathrooms, and found over 50 homes.
The property/school taxes, which they're not paying directly right now, is what will bite them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 03:52 PM

230 posts, read 119,423 times
I always recommend Havertown because it has all you're asking for and is mostly within your budget. Taxes are a bit high, but not crazy like other areas in Delco.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 PM

95 posts, read 65,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
I always recommend Havertown because it has all you're asking for and is mostly within your budget. Taxes are a bit high, but not crazy like other areas in Delco.
True. You can find many nice single-family houses in the area that are in safe, family-oriented neighborhoods. Havertown is also close enough to the city to allow you a reasonably short commute to CHOP by train or by car.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 AM

3,786 posts, read 3,265,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
For $400K?

Toll Brothers single family NEW homes can be had for around $500,000. I have a feeling that the OP is a newly minted doctor. Doctors can easily qualify for a half million dollar mortgage, and that goes for those just starting out.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:58 AM

808 posts, read 487,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Toll Brothers single family NEW homes can be had for around $500,000. I have a feeling that the OP is a newly minted doctor. Doctors can easily qualify for a half million dollar mortgage, and that goes for those just starting out.

Your own anecdotal evidence (or opinion) aside, the OP specifically stated that he would like to stay between $300K and $400K, so that's what we should be recommending.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:48 PM

148 posts, read 38,735 times
Quote:
Toll Brothers single family NEW homes can be had for around $500,000.

That depends on how loose you are with the word 'around'. They have a search on their (TB) site, and I can only find a few areas (Western suburbs like Phoenixville) where houses are starting at $500K. By the time you add on the basics to make the home livable, you're going to be closer to $600K for a new TB SFH.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:20 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Not sure what is happening now but when I was paying those Haverford Twp/Delco prop/school taxes they went up every year. So, OP you've been warned.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:52 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,265,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Your own anecdotal evidence (or opinion) aside, the OP specifically stated that he would like to stay between $300K and $400K, so that's what we should be recommending.

The OP wrote "new house" not "house." Are there brand new 2,500+ square foot single family detached homes available (other than townhouses) in Haverford Township for between $300,000 and $400,000?

The OP should be taken at his/her word.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,709,823 times
Well, I'm not sure how much of the housing stock is new, and I know there's a separate forum for the South Jersey 'burbs, but since the OP expressed no preference when it came to what side of the Delaware they lived on, I'd also say Collingswood checks off just about all their boxes.

It's extremely walkable, and it's located on the rapid transit line from South Jersey into Center City too, which means a no-car commute to CHOP is possible (it would require changing to either the MFL and walking, a trolley and walking, or the Route 42 bus along Walnut). That would reduce the need to buy a second car for commuting.

Collingswood's schools are decent too. The downside: Both state income and local property taxes in New Jersey are higher than they are in Pennsylvania. However, you can deduct the taxes you pay to Pennsylvania and Philadelphia for working there from your New Jersey state income tax.

OP: If you absolutely must have a new construction house, I'd also recommend looking in some in-city neighborhoods. I've been exposed to an increasing body of anecdotal evidence that suggests that children with involved parents can thrive in "bad" city public elementary schools that have good and dedicated teaching staffs, and in a number of city neighborhoods, "Friends of" groups - neighbors who do not necessarily have children enrolled in the local school - provide additional support and resources to their local public schools. I recently attended a launch of a new SFR (mostly) housing development in Roxborough where the pre-construction pricing on the houses are right in the range you desire.

But I'd also recommend that you consider renovated older houses as well. Most of these have amenities on par with new construction, and they were more solidly built to begin with. (There are Toll Brothers horror stories circulating like samizdat literature in the old Soviet Union abroad in the land, not to mention a very public Inquirer exposé of problems with water damage in new construction houses all over the 'burbs.)

Old 08-05-2019, 07:09 AM

514 posts, read 228,730 times
Quote:
The OP wrote "new house" not "house." Are there brand new 2,500+ square foot single family detached homes available (other than townhouses) in Haverford Township for between $300,000 and $400,000?

The OP should be taken at his/her word.
There is no mention at all of requiring new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or