Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 04:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,297,306 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My son (he is over 18) is scheduled for a road test for Class C (just the basic car) driver's license at a PennDOT facility (Whitman Plaza DLC, seems to be located just north of the stadiums). If he passes the road test, what is the likely scenario:
(a) A picture gets taken, and will he get the physical driver's license handed to him
(b) A picture gets taken, and the physical driver's license comes in the mail
(c) Wait for a photo card to come in the mail, then at a later date go to a facility to have picture taken .
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:32 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,353 times
I remember when I transferred my out-of-state license to a PA one, they gave you a black/white/grey temporary license on the spot and than mailed you the permanent one a few weeks later. The only difference between the two was the permanent one had color and did not have "Temporary" in big, red letters stamped across it. Why they wasted the time and plastic to do it like that is beyond me. This was in 2014 and I was only transferring my license, so it could have changed and/or be different now.

Edit: They took my picture right then and there for the temporary license/later permanent one.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,527,288 times
I believe, you're meant to get your DL on the spot when they take your picture after the road test. However, because the photos are biometric, if the facial recognition comes up with a hit, you will get your actual DL after 2 weeks because the photo requires further analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Hello all,
My son (he is over 18) is scheduled for a road test for Class C (just the basic car) driver's license at a PennDOT facility (Whitman Plaza DLC, seems to be located just north of the stadiums). If he passes the road test, what is the likely scenario:
(a) A picture gets taken, and will he get the physical driver's license handed to him
(b) A picture gets taken, and the physical driver's license comes in the mail
(c) Wait for a photo card to come in the mail, then at a later date go to a facility to have picture taken .
Thank you!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I remember when I transferred my out-of-state license to a PA one, they gave you a black/white/grey temporary license on the spot and than mailed you the permanent one a few weeks later. The only difference between the two was the permanent one had color and did not have "Temporary" in big, red letters stamped across it. Why they wasted the time and plastic to do it like that is beyond me. This was in 2014 and I was only transferring my license, so it could have changed and/or be different now.

Edit: They took my picture right then and there for the temporary license/later permanent one.

I too moved to PA in 2014, and after reading your description, that is what I am beginning to recollect as well! When it was time to renew my driver's license, I am quite sure the new license was handed over right after the picture was taken. May be they do some verification on new residents, to make sure the license they turned in from the other state is legitimate, hence the two steps?!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I believe, you're meant to get your DL on the spot when they take your picture after the road test. However, because the photos are biometric, if the facial recognition comes up with a hit, you will get your actual DL after 2 weeks because the photo requires further analysis.
Oh ok, thanks. Will report back after the testing!

Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I too moved to PA in 2014, and after reading your description, that is what I am beginning to recollect as well! When it was time to renew my driver's license, I am quite sure the new license was handed over right after the picture was taken. May be they do some verification on new residents, to make sure the license they turned in from the other state is legitimate, hence the two steps?!
Yeah when I renewed in 2018 I got the REAL ID version handed to me right away.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Yeah when I renewed in 2018 I got the REAL ID version handed to me right away.
Yep, I was just going to say that the OP should expect a REAL ID version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: