U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,207 times

Advertisements

Hello! My young family and I have been philadelphia residents (renters) for the last 3 years and are now transitioning into a new phase of life. We are looking buy in the suburbs around philadelphia and would love your recommendations.

When are you moving? 2019-2020
Where are you coming from? Renting in Graduate Hospital
Why are you moving? Looking for a little more "bang for our buck" with rising prices in Grad Hospital
Where will you be working? CHOP

Will you buy or rent? We would love to buy (first time home buyers) but if we can't sort it out, we'd be okay renting for another year or so
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House with backyard/porch would be ideal, we'd entertain condos though
Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? No preference! We do want to be tax and commuter cost conscious though!
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 2 toddler aged children
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public school most likely
Do you have pets? A lazy bulldog
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, see above, it doesn't need to be large, but we've found we are missing grass and the possibility for dinner on the porch at our current spot
Are you keeping a car? We have a single car at the moment but would buy a second commuter car if that is what would be required
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Depends on if you're talking to me or my wife! I don't think this matters quite as much to us as other priorities
What do you want to be closest to? Train/subway stations to get into work > work > park or pool >>> decent golf
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Safe diversity!
Budget: 300k would be ideal but would go up to 400k if the location is right

Appreciate your recommendations!

Last edited by wdcee; 07-30-2019 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,087,942 times
Post your replies to the questions in Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information. and you'll get better, more focused responses.
My guess is that most people will say Media, Jenkintown, or Ambler. Maybe Narberth. They might also say you'd have to go to the top end of your housing budget.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:08 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,627,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Post your replies to the questions in Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information. and you'll get better, more focused responses.
My guess is that most people will say Media, Jenkintown, or Ambler. Maybe Narberth. They might also say you'd have to go to the top end of your housing budget.
Their commute would be easier from places closer to the border, Wynnewood, Narberth , Ardmore or maybe Havertown but then, yes, they might hit their housing budget boundary.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:12 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,627,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcee View Post
Hello! My young family and I have been philadelphia residents (renters) for the last 3 years and are now transitioning into a new phase of life. We are looking buy in the suburbs around philadelphia and would love your recommendations.

Goals/Budget:
-Young children in the family so decent schools would be great
-Budget of 300-400k for single family homes
-Commutability into the Penn campus (would be fine driving but train options would be awesome as well)
-Tax conscious options would be great
-Safety!

Appreciate your recommendations!
Just about anywhere you might go will require a big property tax bill in any case. You'd be paying less wage tax though.

2 posts, read 1,207 times
Edited to add questionnaire (thanks FrankInPhilly!).

514 posts, read 228,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Fitting all of OP's wants into a 400k budget for a single family home is going to be the issue here. I know Newtown checks all the boxes (except the commute to Penn isn't great) and is a great place to live and raise a family, but $400k is townhouse range, not single family.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 AM

806 posts, read 487,102 times
Havertown could definitely work. You'll probably need to go over your minimum on budget, but can get something without having to go all the way to $400K. The Norristown High Speed Line, which would take you to 69th Street to switch to the El, goes through Havertown. Any of the stations from Ardmore Avenue to Penfield would be convenient, but the ones that are technically in Havertown are Penfield, Beechwood/Brookline, and Wynnewood Road.

ETA: Just did a quick search online for houses in H-town between $250K and $400K, 3+ bedrooms, 1+ bathrooms, and found over 50 homes.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:20 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,264,710 times
Toll Brothers builds luxury home communities in the Philly suburbs.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 753,650 times
For $400K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Toll Brothers builds luxury home communities in the Philly suburbs.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 PM

225 posts, read 67,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
For $400K?
For a 3BR SF with nearby train access?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or