U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 1,280 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Im about to purchase a house in Tacony, PA. The price is really good and the house even though needs some tlc is a very nice house. Im 32 and Im a single mother of a 8 year old boy. I’m moving from Levittown and I’m not familiar at all with the area. I visited the house a few times already and the street where the house is always seems really quiet, is full of trees and there’s always parking. For people familiar with this area, is there anything that I should be worried about? My main and only concern is the school district, i can’t barely sleep thinking about that, since my son last year went to a really good school at the Neshaminy district.

Unfortunately, I can’t afford living in my old apartment, plus I have two dogs and I couldn’t live in a box anymore. There is a charter school really close to the house I’m about to purchase but I have no idea how the lottery process works plus I believe the due date is way past due. I believe his school is Disston Elementary, any feedback on that?

I read a few posts from other sites but they were from 2005, 2010, 2012. I want current information. I would really appreciate any feedback, information, suggestions.

Thank you so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 01:04 PM

809 posts, read 488,967 times
Tacony, PA? I think you mean the Tacony section of Philadelphia.

You say you're worried about the school district but you only "believe his school is Disston Elementary." I would think you would be sure what school he'll be attending (and already enrolled him) if you're that concerned about it and you're about to pull the trigger on the home purchase.

Apologies for my skepticism, but this just doesn't seem like a legit post. People on this forum are more than willing to help out; we just don't like troll posts.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Tacony, PA? I think you mean the Tacony section of Philadelphia.

You say you're worried about the school district but you only "believe his school is Disston Elementary." I would think you would be sure what school he'll be attending (and already enrolled him) if you're that concerned about it and you're about to pull the trigger on the home purchase.

Apologies for my skepticism, but this just doesn't seem like a legit post. People on this forum are more than willing to help out; we just don't like troll posts.
Trust me, I’m not a troll. Like I said I’m not familiar with the area. I’m not American, my first language is not English so you may see a grammatical error or typo here and then.

I’m buying this house through a mortgage company who helps single mothers that have moderate to low income. My preferred area wasn’t near Philadelphia. I really wanted to stay in the Levittown area but it’s impossible for me to afford a house and I definitely don’t want to pay almost 1200 per month for a single room, I just can’t. After a lot of convincing from my realtor and my sister I accepted to look around some Philadelphia sections I really don’t like the row homes like cookie cutter and the difficulty of finding parking etc. This house that I found, the street is full of trees and seems really quiet.

About schools, like I said I’m not American so I’m not quite 100% sure how the school system works. My son has been in the same school since kindergarten. That’s one of the reasons I’m worried, the whole change is going to be hard on him. I’m quite sure that Disston is his school and I already know that the grading on that school is not that great. I’m hoping and wishing he could get in the charter school that is less than a block from the house, but I’m realistic that the chances of that are really low.

You don’t have to apologize for your skepticism, but please know that I’m not a troll and that I do need the help that anyone can bring.

Thank you.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:17 PM

1,191 posts, read 756,002 times
If you are looking for good schools, you're looking in the wrong place. In addition, buying a house that needs some tlc may end up as a money pit. Do you have the $$$ to fix the house?

Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
If you are looking for good schools, you're looking in the wrong place. In addition, buying a house that needs some tlc may end up as a money pit. Do you have the $$$ to fix the house?
The TLC is nothing serious, just some customization, more than anything. I do have some savings but like I said it’s nothing crazy.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM

515 posts, read 229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Trump View Post
There was a shooting last night right around the corner from where you are moving:
https://6abc.com/man-shot-in-hip-in-tacony/5432745/
LOL. Looks like everyone's favorite racist curmudgeon is back with a new nom de guerre...

Old 08-02-2019, 11:20 AM

515 posts, read 229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Trump View Post
Says the woman who lives in the whitest town in the area ... hmmm.
LMAO. Not a single word of that post is true. Shockingly.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,313,571 times
You seemed concerned about the schools there. Charters are not a guarantee usually. There's good chances to get in, but not a guarantee. You could shoot for cyber school too. Then you don't have to be concerned about safety within the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or