U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 09:23 AM

15 posts, read 7,460 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity what section of Norristown will you be moving to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:35 AM

32,835 posts, read 60,937,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualUDResident View Post
Instead, we have people largely from the suburbs pushing to turn KOP into one of those fake town centers in Virginia.
You're looking to close the barn door 50 years after the horse has escaped.

Quote:
and stop calling it Valley Forge. Valley Forge is a battlefield.
Valley Forge at one time was its own little town, with its own train station, and still has a post office. Maybe you need to get out into the 'burbs more to learn what actually goes on out here.

Quote:
KOP is a sprawled out disgrace that has literally never been important.
OK, now I know you don't know what you're talking about. How is it not obvious to you that King of Prussia is a huge economic engine for Montgomery County and the entire region?

Quote:
However, all of KOP could disappear tomorrow and not be missed. It's only "important" because we let it be. It should've been allowed to naturally become nothing but the mall and big box stores it really is. It is not dynamic nor should it be, and literally the only historic area in that vicinity is the battlefield.
What does that even mean? You're drowning in your own word salad.

If KOP disappeared tomorrow ... thousands of people would lose their jobs and homes. You think that wouldn't be missed? You think that's not "important"? Good grief ...

If KOP was "allowed" to be "nothing but the mall and the big box stores it really is" (nevermind all the small businesses, locally owned businesses, industry, and homes ... ), all that other development would still happen somewhere. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with how commercial development follows transportation arteries? Seeing as how KOP is at the confluence of multiple major highways, isn't it "natural" that commercial development concentrates in the area?

As for "historic area" - what does that have to do with development? Here's a historic note for you: King of Prussia as a settlement has been around since the early 18th Century. If you need something more current, demonstrating King of Prussia's "importance" to the regional economy: My dad's first job out of college as an engineer, 65 years ago, was in KOP. KOP as a center of commerce and/or a place to live and work is not something new.

And how is KOP not "dynamic", and why shouldn't it be? Should it not grow and adapt/develop along with the rest of the world?

Quote:
This whole thing is happening because people stupidly do not want to simply let KOP age how it should.
With that mentality, Philadelphia should still be a small settlement along the Delaware River.

Quote:
Norristown will literally never recover if KOP is given this treatment. Not ever. Yet somehow this is seen as a good idea.
Norristown and KOP are two completely different types of urban areas. No one is mistaking one for the other. Norristown has yet to figure out how to reinvent itself, and continually trips over itself in doing so. The culprit in Norristown is poor local leadership, and has been for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Blame Norristown for its failings, don't blame KOP.
That's exactly it. Old-timers in Norristown can tell stories all day long of Norristown's lack of leadership, going back 60 years or so. County interference has not helped, but at the end of the day it's the local leaders that have hampered Norristown's redevelopment.

Quote:
What is not natural is putting a rail line there and giving it the same legitimacy as our actually historic boroughs and sections of townships and cities.
Huh? The only "legitimacy" a rail line needs is ridership. If SEPTA has evidence that a spur into KOP's commercial areas will build ridership, that's all it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Eagles Fly View Post
It seems to me that, when Norristown stages a comeback, it will be a really great place to live.
Norristown has a ton of potential. Despite the incredible poverty in town, the housing stock is in pretty decent shape. The Marshall Street neighborhood business corridor is thriving, and other neighborhood business corridors have the same potential.

Quote:
For me, and I hope the town, the tipping point is going to be the Turnpike interchange
The skeptic in me wonders if this isn't another instance of closing the barn door after the horse escapes.

Quote:
There is also something I don't hear anyone talk about, but it gets me excited, and that is Barbadoes Island.
I've wondered myself why the island just sits there. Technically, it's in West Norriton Township, but it would be a wonderful recreational destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Map Man View Post
Absolutely, I think it will be a huge boost along with the Markley St. improvements. Last I read, state funding for the off-ramp was in jeopardy, anybody know the status? That off-ramp is vital to the project.
We're growing old just waiting for Markley Street to finish, let alone the turnpike interchange. Markley Street was supposed to be finished by the end of this year, and the second half of the project hasn't started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Eagles Fly View Post
Well, my offer on the house was accepted. Looks like I'm going to be a Norristowner (Norristonian?). Psyched!
Welcome.

Quote:
Of course, if the crime is too bad, that erases any positives, but my read is that, like a lot of places with a bad reputation, the reality is much more nuanced and manageable. In Norristown in the daytime I'd walk anywhere.
Agreed. Most of the crime is stupid stuff - cars broken into, etc. - and the police interaction with the community has improved a kazillion times over since I first moved here 15 years ago.

Now we just need to work on council's interaction with the community ...

Quote:
When Norristown starts getting those young New Urbanist types in the center of town, instead of in apartments along the edges, the boom will be underway.
I'm more concerned about increasing the home ownership rate in town. So much of what's wrong with Norristown's neighborhoods - which affects who wants to live in Norristown and who doesn't - has to do with rental properties and negligent/absentee landlords. How do we encourage people to buy and live in Norristown, and how do we discourage landlords from being jerks?

Old 10-26-2019, 07:37 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,709,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're looking to close the barn door 50 years after the horse has escaped.

Valley Forge at one time was its own little town, with its own train station, and still has a post office. Maybe you need to get out into the 'burbs more to learn what actually goes on out here.

OK, now I know you don't know what you're talking about. How is it not obvious to you that King of Prussia is a huge economic engine for Montgomery County and the entire region?

What does that even mean? You're drowning in your own word salad.

If KOP disappeared tomorrow ... thousands of people would lose their jobs and homes. You think that wouldn't be missed? You think that's not "important"? Good grief ...

If KOP was "allowed" to be "nothing but the mall and the big box stores it really is" (nevermind all the small businesses, locally owned businesses, industry, and homes ... ), all that other development would still happen somewhere. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with how commercial development follows transportation arteries? Seeing as how KOP is at the confluence of multiple major highways, isn't it "natural" that commercial development concentrates in the area?

As for "historic area" - what does that have to do with development? Here's a historic note for you: King of Prussia as a settlement has been around since the early 18th Century. If you need something more current, demonstrating King of Prussia's "importance" to the regional economy: My dad's first job out of college as an engineer, 65 years ago, was in KOP. KOP as a center of commerce and/or a place to live and work is not something new.

And how is KOP not "dynamic", and why shouldn't it be? Should it not grow and adapt/develop along with the rest of the world?

With that mentality, Philadelphia should still be a small settlement along the Delaware River.

Norristown and KOP are two completely different types of urban areas. No one is mistaking one for the other. Norristown has yet to figure out how to reinvent itself, and continually trips over itself in doing so. The culprit in Norristown is poor local leadership, and has been for decades.

That's exactly it. Old-timers in Norristown can tell stories all day long of Norristown's lack of leadership, going back 60 years or so. County interference has not helped, but at the end of the day it's the local leaders that have hampered Norristown's redevelopment.

Huh? The only "legitimacy" a rail line needs is ridership. If SEPTA has evidence that a spur into KOP's commercial areas will build ridership, that's all it needs.

Norristown has a ton of potential. Despite the incredible poverty in town, the housing stock is in pretty decent shape. The Marshall Street neighborhood business corridor is thriving, and other neighborhood business corridors have the same potential.

The skeptic in me wonders if this isn't another instance of closing the barn door after the horse escapes.

I've wondered myself why the island just sits there. Technically, it's in West Norriton Township, but it would be a wonderful recreational destination.

We're growing old just waiting for Markley Street to finish, let alone the turnpike interchange. Markley Street was supposed to be finished by the end of this year, and the second half of the project hasn't started yet.

Welcome.

Agreed. Most of the crime is stupid stuff - cars broken into, etc. - and the police interaction with the community has improved a kazillion times over since I first moved here 15 years ago.

Now we just need to work on council's interaction with the community ...

I'm more concerned about increasing the home ownership rate in town. So much of what's wrong with Norristown's neighborhoods - which affects who wants to live in Norristown and who doesn't - has to do with rental properties and negligent/absentee landlords. How do we encourage people to buy and live in Norristown, and how do we discourage landlords from being jerks?
If I could introduce you to Adam and Aldridk Gessa-Lang, I would.

They're Philadelphia's loss and Norristown's gain.

They moved from Sharswood to one of those big, lovely turn-of-the-century rowhouses on Haws Avenue between Marshall and Main streets.

More people like them moving in and Norristown's future should be just peachy.

Ditto business owners like Jaithan Kochar, who opened Maximalist Studios, a function and event space, in an old industrial building close to the river not far from Adam and Aldridk's place.

I'm a renter myself (ironic, isn't it, since I write about houses for sale all the time?), but I hear ya on the negligent/absentee landlords.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:46 PM

26,119 posts, read 24,891,459 times
A semi-detached? Those homes are beautiful.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:24 AM

32,835 posts, read 60,937,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
More people like them moving in and Norristown's future should be just peachy.

Ditto business owners like Jaithan Kochar, who opened Maximalist Studios, a function and event space, in an old industrial building close to the river not far from Adam and Aldridk's place.
I'll keep an eye and ear out, thanks! You're right about the houses in that area - they are stunning, even the ones that have fallen into disrepair.

Quote:
I'm a renter myself (ironic, isn't it, since I write about houses for sale all the time?), but I hear ya on the negligent/absentee landlords.
I'm seeing it on my own block, which since I purchased my house has gone from all owner-occupied to half rental, and the change has not been a good one. The landlords don't care that the property isn't being kept up as long as the rent checks come in, and code enforcement can't keep up.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:39 AM

42 posts, read 9,589 times
Norristown seems to me like one of those towns that has really good bones and will see a lot more attention as Philly and the region continues to grow. It's got the perfect setup for transit oriented development.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:57 PM

540 posts, read 305,801 times
Norristown is the worst place in nearby area? How is crime rate? Any rich people live there?

Old 10-31-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
True, but keep in mind that the “updated” Phoenixville was designed by the individual who mapped out Manayunk. This why the two towns are structured similarly - one main Street with almost all venues located there. It was almost a personal project. I don’t see this being widely replicated.
The thing is, concentrating the activity along a Main Street or in a compact center is exactly what you want to do to bring a moribund small town back to life.

The hive mind has pretty much absorbed this wisdom, so it shouldn't take a single individual to map it out anymore. (Not to mention that in Phoenixville, whoever that was had the borough backing him up.)

Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Norristown is the worst place in nearby area? How is crime rate? Any rich people live there?
Norristown is currently the poor stepchild of the four suburban Pennsylvania county seats (Doylestown, Media, Norristown, West Chester), but I wouldn't call it "the worst place in the nearby area," not by a long shot (Coatesville in Chester County probably takes that prize).

Can't answer your crime rate question, but I see my home neighborhood of Germantown pop up on 6ABC's crime-story beat more often than I do Norristown.

Not too many rich people live there now, but it does have a sizable middle-class population that remains invested in the municipality.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:07 AM

226 posts, read 68,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Norristown is currently the poor stepchild of the four suburban Pennsylvania county seats (Doylestown, Media, Norristown, West Chester), but I wouldn't call it "the worst place in the nearby area," not by a long shot (Coatesville in Chester County probably takes that prize).

Can't answer your crime rate question, but I see my home neighborhood of Germantown pop up on 6ABC's crime-story beat more often than I do Norristown.

Not too many rich people live there now, but it does have a sizable middle-class population that remains invested in the municipality.
Crime data is here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Norris...nsylvania.html

It has fallen more than 50% in the past decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or