U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 AM
 
583 posts, read 275,503 times
Reputation: 445

Advertisements

Ill take the snowball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2019, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.
Sure, if no one talks about it.

And it may not happen even if people do talk about it. But at least the issue will have been joined, and people just might start thinking about it in new ways. Wouldn't you like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 11:23 AM
 
9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Sure, if no one talks about it.

And it may not happen even if people do talk about it. But at least the issue will have been joined, and people just might start thinking about it in new ways. Wouldn't you like that?
Come on. lol. You are proposing a total restructuring of council along with re-drawing districts and then you are proposing it based on a city in the middle of the country that has no relationship to the one you live in.

Look, I can think of about a half dozen Constitutional admendments I'd like to see that match FDR's bill of rights for people. Those are not going to happen either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Come on. lol. You are proposing a total restructuring of council along with re-drawing districts and then you are proposing it based on a city in the middle of the country that has no relationship to the one you live in.

Look, I can think of about a half dozen Constitutional admendments I'd like to see that match FDR's bill of rights for people. Those are not going to happen either.
Sure, but something you said in your first sentence displays an attitude I consider a problem here:

The "it's not Philadelphia" phenomenon.

What's wrong with considering another place's best practices if they have a chance of solving a local problem? "That's not the way we (do|have done) it here." Jeez, that's the point!

You probably would have gotten a laugh out of that Inquirer Metro Commentary Page essay I wrote back in 2005 in which I argued for the following amendment to the City Charter:

"No person shall hold elected office in the City of Philadelphia unless said person shall have resided outside the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware for at least ten years before seeking office."

Now that one's a truly Swiftian proposal, but it goes to the heart of this other problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 03:53 PM
 
9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Sure, but something you said in your first sentence displays an attitude I consider a problem here:

The "it's not Philadelphia" phenomenon.

What's wrong with considering another place's best practices if they have a chance of solving a local problem? "That's not the way we (do|have done) it here." Jeez, that's the point!

You probably would have gotten a laugh out of that Inquirer Metro Commentary Page essay I wrote back in 2005 in which I argued for the following amendment to the City Charter:

"No person shall hold elected office in the City of Philadelphia unless said person shall have resided outside the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware for at least ten years before seeking office."

Now that one's a truly Swiftian proposal, but it goes to the heart of this other problem.
Sounds like a kind of carpetbagger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sounds like a kind of carpetbagger.
I began that essay by noting that the city's greatest mayors - Joe Clark, Richardson Dilworth, Ed Rendell - were all born and raised elsewhere. (I even quoted Dilworth's grandson, same name, who was - and I think still is - a Drexel professor, on the subject.)

I then went into that "not from here" syndrome.

My aim was to get the locals to widen their horizons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top