U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM

550 posts, read 222,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

I would imagine that for American Revolution junkies, Boston is king. But for people looking for something less specialized, Philly fits the bill.
I don't even know about this. We have the entire Valley Forge National Park with replications, reenactments, and some as-close-to-original buildings, including an original dwelling of George Washington.

For whatever reason, your "average, everyday American" associates Boston with the Boston Tea Party, but everyone forgets that Philadelphia is the "Birthplace of America." I was just telling an out of towner about it, and he didn't even believe me until he looked it up himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:54 AM

10,634 posts, read 9,097,103 times
Boston voices were critical from 1763-1776. Other colonies, with the exception of Georgia and to some extent Rhode Island, joined in along the way.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:35 AM

22,712 posts, read 28,051,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Boston voices were critical from 1763-1776. Other colonies, with the exception of Georgia and to some extent Rhode Island, joined in along the way.
There were also the Regulators in North Carolina.

There were revolts popping up along the eastern seaboard. It all coalesced in Philadelphia.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:23 AM

5,679 posts, read 2,764,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I don't even know about this. We have the entire Valley Forge National Park with replications, reenactments, and some as-close-to-original buildings, including an original dwelling of George Washington.

For whatever reason, your "average, everyday American" associates Boston with the Boston Tea Party, but everyone forgets that Philadelphia is the "Birthplace of America." I was just telling an out of towner about it, and he didn't even believe me until he looked it up himself.
Yep, but as far as the Revolution itself is concerned, we also have Boston beat.

Boston: Concord, Lexington, Bunker Hill, and that's it.
Philadelphia: Brandywine Battlefield, Valley Forge encampment, Washington Crossing, Cliveden and the Battle of Germantown, re-enacted annually. And now we have that museum too.

The way I phrase it is something like this:

Boston is where the fuse leading to America's birth was lit. Philadelphia was where the explosion occurred.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:27 AM

22,712 posts, read 28,051,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Yep, but as far as the Revolution itself is concerned, we also have Boston beat.

Boston: Concord, Lexington, Bunker Hill, and that's it.
Philadelphia: Brandywine Battlefield, Valley Forge encampment, Washington Crossing, Cliveden and the Battle of Germantown, re-enacted annually. And now we have that museum too.

The way I phrase it is something like this:

Boston is where the fuse leading to America's birth was lit. Philadelphia was where the explosion occurred.
Don't forget Fort Mifflin and the Battle of Redbank.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:24 PM

367 posts, read 138,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

To be honest, that's the person's own ignorance. If it was called the "Tea Party Revolt" instead of the "Boston Tea Party", they wouldn't know where that took place either. You know the whole "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?" question.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 PM

5,599 posts, read 10,114,045 times
If you want to be a literalist or history nerd, you could say that Boston has played a minor role in American history - its heyday was colonial times. The revolution was over in Boston by the time of the Declaration, which can be considered the birth of America. Philadelphia has played a much larger role than Boston since then.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 PM

52 posts, read 14,943 times
I like Boston more because I like the history of the early Puritans over the revolutionaries. I think they had a better more pure culture than the revolutionary mid-Atlantic colonies that led to the mess of modern day America. Also I did not like American history class so that's playing into my response. As a Chinese American I prefer to cherry pick America for the parts I like and abandon the rest of the country.

Last edited by Chinese French Italian; 08-08-2019 at 11:52 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 11:41 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,764,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese French Italian View Post
I like Boston more because I like the history of the early Puritans over the revolutionaries. I think they had a better more pure culture than the revolutionary mid-Atlantic colonies that led to the mess of modern day America. Also I did not like American history class so that's playing into my response. As a Chinese American I prefer to cherry pick America for the parts I like and let the rest of the country rot in its own mess.
It's a package deal, for the most part.

You can adjust some aspects of living in America to suit your particular tastes, but there are fundamentals that aren't negotiable.

But I am curious about what you consider messy about America today.

The Puritans IMO were a little too rigid and intolerant for my tastes. Of which speaking:

A statue of the same woman sits on the grounds of the Massachusetts State House in Boston and the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting/Friends Center in Philadelphia. Can you name her? Why is she memorialized in both places?

Old 08-09-2019, 12:00 AM

52 posts, read 14,943 times
I know there's a statue of a woman who was hanged in Boston Common for preaching her version of puritanism above the common interpretation. I forgot her name maybe it was Ann or something.

I consider modern America an insane mess because it continues to wage war over hyper ideology like "democracy" or "freedom" when literally millions of it's own people are uneducated and impoverished. Taking care of a country as big as America is already a big job and still the government is building bases and interfering in the rest of the world's business as if it can't be satiated. I just think it's insane. Of course I'm not white, I didn't grow up on a farm in Wyoming punching my way to the White House like Dick Cheney or what have you. So for those people the myth of America works but for a child of immigrants like me America is just an insane religion but of course I'll try to live peacefully with it's adherents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or