U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 05:21 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,103,083 times

Advertisements

They are probably the most historically rich cities in the country, each witnessing watershed events on the road to independence.

I've visited both of them over the last 3 years.

Here's the impression I got:

Boston, with its Freedom Trail, is big on the American Revolution (makes sense), and Philly is big on the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution (makes sense).

However, I feel like the history you get in Philly is a bit more diverse.

For example, Philly stole a bit of Boston's thunder by opening its own Museum of the American Revolution. You can easily spend half a day or more there and get enough of a Revolutionary War fix.

While Boston's sites along the Freedom Trail are fascinating -- like the Old North Church and State House -- eventually I grew a bit tired of reading about Paul Revere and John Hancock.

In Philly, you can learn about everything from Ben Franklin's inventions at the American Philisophical Society to the Battle of Bunker Hill at the Museum of the American Revolution to Alexander Hamilton's accomplishments at the Constitution Center.

My point is that the content seems a bit more general in Philly, but that's just the impression I got.

I would imagine that for American Revolution junkies, Boston is king. But for people looking for something less specialized, Philly fits the bill.

Do you feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 05:37 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
They are probably the most historically rich cities in the country, each witnessing watershed events on the road to independence.

Boston, with its Freedom Trail, is big on the American Revolution (makes sense), and Philly is big on the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution (makes sense).

For example, Philly stole a bit of Boston's thunder by opening its own Museum of the American Revolution. You can easily spend half a day or more there and get enough of a Revolutionary War fix.

While Boston's sites along the Freedom Trail are fascinating -- like the Old North Church and State House -- eventually I grew a bit tired of reading about Paul Revere and John Hancock.

In Philly, you can learn about everything from Ben Franklin's inventions at the American Philisophical Society to the Battle of Bunker Hill at the Museum of the American Revolution to Alexander Hamilton's accomplishments at the Constitution Center.

My point is that the content seems a bit more general in Philly, but that's just the impression I got.

I would imagine that for American Revolution junkies, Boston is king. But for people looking for something less specialized, Philly fits the bill.

Since the thread title included, American History, I just have this comment.

I get the point of the colonial and revolutionary eras for obvious reasons but I'm much more interested in what came afterward during the 19th century, the Civil War and the industrial age in Phila. If I was a Bostonian, I think it would be the same thing.

Btw, the Battle of Germantown gets re-enacted every year in Germantown.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:59 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,709,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

Have you considered asking these questions in City vs. City?

Old 08-06-2019, 02:03 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,457,022 times
They're both good. Who cares?

Old 08-06-2019, 02:50 PM

172 posts, read 104,877 times
I troll my Boston friends about this all the time - the Freedom Trail is one of the best marketed tourist attractions in America. It has crazy good brand awareness. But what is it really? The most famous event involved some dude hanging lanterns in a church? The events of which are mostly mythologized by a propaganda poem?

https://chaddsfordhistorical.wordpre...two-if-by-sea/

In Philly, they literally debated, argued, and altered the course of human history. Almost every modern democracy is in some way influenced by the events in Philadelphia over a few years.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:07 PM

20,970 posts, read 9,829,102 times
I am biased, but I think Philly has the edge, and not just because of Old City, Independence Mall, Betsy Ross house, etc. Not far from the city are also significant Revolutionary war landmarks. Valley Forge, Brandywine Battlefield, Washington's Crossing, etc.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:15 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
I troll my Boston friends about this all the time - the Freedom Trail is one of the best marketed tourist attractions in America. It has crazy good brand awareness. But what is it really? The most famous event involved some dude hanging lanterns in a church? The events of which are mostly mythologized by a propaganda poem?

In Philly, they literally debated, argued, and altered the course of human history. Almost every modern democracy is in some way influenced by the events in Philadelphia over a few years.
Yes, correct. Everytime I walk in that area I'm reminded of it. It was more than a few years though. Starting with the First Continental Congress (1774) to the inauguration of a new government in 1789 under the Constitution, it took 15 years. Of course winning the war was the defining factor.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:10 PM

353 posts, read 142,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post

Spot on. Boston's historical sights are quantity over quality. Boston was the infancy of the Revolution - Philadelphia was its pinnacle.

As far as the number soldiers involved, the largest battle of the Revolutionary War (Battle of Brandywine) was fought outside Philadelphia, and its battlefield is an "also ran" for sights to see while visiting. Valley Forge gets some notoriety, but even that goes unseen by most tourists.

Another underappreciated Revolutionary War sight around here is up in Allentown, where the Liberty Bell was hidden while the British occupied Philadelphia. If this happened to be located along Boston's Freedom Trail, it would have been the highlight of the tour.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:31 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,103,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Have you considered asking these questions in City vs. City?
Yes, but for whatever reason, the thread got deleted.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,088,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
They're both good. Who cares?
Agreed. If OP asked "I want to take a 3 day vacation to an historic city, should I go to Boston or Philly?" the discussion of pros and cons would have a more meaningful context (and, of course, Philly would crush it )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or