U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 03:54 PM

5,600 posts, read 2,732,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieb226 View Post
Thank you so much for the input, I am definitely trying to make the right decision. Commute is a big factor, he is wanting to use the train system so I'm not sure how much that will help commute time.
It may not help his commute time, but it will probably help keep his blood pressure lower than it otherwise would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 9,286 times
lol your right about that!

Old 08-27-2019, 11:29 AM

Default Commute from Penn Square in Philly to outside suburbs

Hey guys, my husband just got new job in Philly (penn Square if that helps) He's supposed to start in October. We currently live outside of Mobile Alabama and know nothing about the area. I've gotten some good advice on here about housing but I really need some help with commute. My husband is willing to commute up to and hour and we really like the housing options in more rural/ suburban areas. He is willing to use public trans since his job will pay up to $260 a month for it. Here are the cities we have been looking at.

Denver
Sellersville
Morgantown
Downington
Doyleston
Landenberg
Avondale
Kenneth square
Lincoln university
Springfield
Oxford
Chester county
Chad FOrd
Exton
Unionville

Are any of these good options? whats the commute like? is there public trans near by or doable? we want good school since we have little ones, and preferably some acreage to our home. Downington has been our favorite as well as Morgantown, and landenberg in terms of housing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Also we would like to Stay in PA because my husband likes his guns

Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 AM

816 posts, read 490,753 times
I think you may mean Penn Center, not Penn Square. Lots of private companies are located in what is considered Penn Center, whereas Penn Square is where City Hall is located. Regardless, Downingtown to Suburban Station in Center City (which is in the general vicinity of Penn Center) would be a one-seat ride (albeit a long one).

Old 08-27-2019, 11:55 AM

Thank you for the feedback. His job is at the Army Corp of Engineers which I believe is near City Hall, but either way it seems like it's in the same general area. It's good to know that it would be one straight ride from Downington.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:12 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,091,194 times
You can get an idea the places SEPTA serves here: SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map (the map can be enlarged using the controls at the top left). Note that all the lines will stop at Suburban Station, where your husband will be working.
Think real, real carefully before going farther afield without public transit. Check Google Maps' travel time from some of the farther-away places you listed - Landenberg, Denver, etc. They're not served by public transit, so driving or (worse) some combination of drive/SEPTA is your only option. Check what Google says is the typical time during commuting hours. An early afternoon 50 minutes easily morphs into 60-80 minutes in most places. The added time, plus the variability, would give me pause even if the housing/acreage boxes were checked.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM

1,195 posts, read 757,929 times
What's your housing budget? I think your best bet would be southern chester county but they lack public transit. You will have to prioritize between
- acreage
- good schools
- reasonable commute

You can't have them all. I suspect you'll have to give up acreage or spend a lot of $$$$ to make all the 3 possible.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Thank you both so much. Our budget is $475.000 tops, but obviously would like to stay way below that. I appreciate the map and advice. So far Downington sounds like our best bet but still a commute.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:19 PM

This is so helpful, THANKS!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:54 AM

9,956 posts, read 5,652,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieb226 View Post
Thank you for the feedback. His job is at the Army Corp of Engineers which I believe is near City Hall, but either way it seems like it's in the same general area. It's good to know that it would be one straight ride from Downington.
100 E. Penn Sq is the Wanamaker Bldg, afaik, a much beloved bldg to Philadelphians. It was home of the Wanamaker Dept Store and now has a Macy's on the first 3 floors. It also houses the world famous Wanamaker organ, the largest fully functioning pipe organ in the world.

Depending upon where you end up living you can Septa regional rail into town arriving at either Suburban or Jefferson stations. They are both minutes away from the Wanamaker bldg by foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or