U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 PM

14 posts, read 3,780 times

Advertisements

Thanks kyb01 for your response. Yes my office is nearby to that area. Ardmore as an area is really good & we are fine to stay there however, the only concern is I didnt find any good Middle school in that area. High School is really nice and we liked it. Would you have any recommendations for Middle School?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
24th and Market (you're working at Aramark maybe ?) is in Center City. It's adjacent to 30th St Station which is the major rail transit hub in the area. It serves Amtrak and SEPTA regional rail and some New Jersey transit.

And, yes, Ardmore would absolutely work. It's split between two good school district, Haverford and Lower Merion, and there is direct rail transit to your office area from Ardmore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 11:52 PM

Thanks NewtownBucks. This is really nice input. Yes we are checking the school ratings on GreatSchools.Org and Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site and our preference was to consider top 3 schools but I get your point well that any school within top 10 ranking also would work the same way and will deliver the same quality education. If I am getting an area which has less commute time to my office along with top 10 ranking schools (High and Middle) then that would be preferred. Thanks much again. I appreciate your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Conestoga is indeed an excellent school district, although you shouldn't get too caught up in the specific rankings if you are looking at the ranking sites. Almost all of the Philly suburbs have excellent schools. For example, if you looked at Narberth instead of Berwyn, that is Lower Merion schools instead of Conestoga. Both are usually listed in the top 10 or so public school in PA, so it doesn't matter if Conestoga is 1 and LM 6 or whatever, they are both great schools. Narberth will cut your commute time on the train roughly in half compared to Berwyn. Any of the top at least 75-100 school districts in the state have pretty much no worries at all.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2019 at 02:44 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 PM

Thanks FromGA for your detailed response. Yes you are right. We are reviewing the school ratings on Greatschools.org and Niche.com and considering the high schools and middle schools which are with rating 9 or above. The schools you mentioned are indeed good ranked schools & we shall consider these just in case we choose not to stay in Wayne or Berwyn. I sincerely appreciate your inputs to help finalize things. Big thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I assume you are familiar with greatschools website. The schools I mentioned in my previous post are similarly well-ranked:
Glenside (Abington High School)
Ft Washington (Upper Dublin High School)
Ambler (Wissahickon High School)
They are all on the same train line (the one that goes to Lansdale). Glenside has two train lines passing through, so the frequency will be higher.

I am not very familiar with the schools you mentioned. I think Wayne/Berwyn might be better located for the train to your location. In case, for whatever reason you choose not to go with Wayne/Berwyn, you can go with any of the school districts I mentioned. They are all good ones.

Can anyone think of reasons for OP to not go with Wayne/Berwyn area?

Old 08-15-2019, 07:00 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,579,303 times
School districts are run by local government, and the middle school and high school are usually part of the same school district, so it is unlikely you will find drastic difference between an area's middle and high schools. However, it can happen due to how houses are zoned to schools, may be you can tell us what issue you faced with middle school not being that good.

If a middle school is a 7 or 8, and a high school is a 9 or 10, it may be a perfectly good situation. One could perhaps look at the details in those cases.

As NewtownBucks stated, Philadelphia area suburbs have plenty of good schools to choose from. As long as a school is a top 50 or even top 100, it should be fine.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:27 AM

Thanks FromGA for your response. I got your point. Appreciate all your help!

Old 08-19-2019, 04:22 AM

22,657 posts, read 28,000,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinkoi View Post
Thx for your response newmarlig. Its S 24th St. and I am not sure how far it is from Center City. Please advise if Cherry Hill is still an option or there are better options in Philly. We are liking Ardmore based on our initial research and based on distance from office, schools and vicinity from SEPTA.
Cherry Hill has 2 Asian supermarkets. H-Mart is the larger and is Korean-owned.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:26 AM

5,600 posts, read 2,734,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cherry Hill has 2 Asian supermarkets. H-Mart is the larger and is Korean-owned.
Those are East, not South, Asian. There's a huge difference between the two.

A better example of the type of "Asian" supermarket where the OP would find familiar foods is Apna Bazar in Bensalem, in lower Bucks County. There are a number of businesses that cater to Indian-American tastes in this part of the township. I'm not sure whether anything like it exists on the Main Line at all - my initial suspicion is it doesn't.

To the OP: Glad you've found an area you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't have dismissed Upper Darby Township (whose schools Millbourne Borough* residents also attend) out of hand; while UD's schools don't top the lists of great schools in the region, they don't stink either, and the Upper Darby School District is one of the most diverse in the Philly 'burbs. The Drexel Hill section of the township is one of the most attractive affordable residential districts in the 'burbs as well.

*Millbourne Borough, or so I've heard, is the largest majority-Sikh municipality in the country.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I assume you are familiar with greatschools website. The schools I mentioned in my previous post are similarly well-ranked:
Glenside (Abington High School)
Ft Washington (Upper Dublin High School)
Ambler (Wissahickon High School)
They are all on the same train line (the one that goes to Lansdale). Glenside has two train lines passing through, so the frequency will be higher.

I am not very familiar with the schools you mentioned. I think Wayne/Berwyn might be better located for the train to your location. In case, for whatever reason you choose not to go with Wayne/Berwyn, you can go with any of the school districts I mentioned. They are all good ones.

Can anyone think of reasons for OP to not go with Wayne/Berwyn area?
Main reasons: Cost of housing; weak South Asian presence.

You did also leave out Jenkintown, whose schools are also highly rated, from your list of suburbs to consider on the ex-Reading main line. It's served by a third Regional Rail line as well, and its station is the busiest on the SEPTA Regional Rail system outside the Center City stations.

To the OP: As kyb01 said, Ardmore straddles two very good school districts, Lower Merion and Haverford Township. The latter has just one middle school; Ardmore residents living in the Lower Merion school district - which has consistently ranked among the best school districts in the state for decades - would probably send their kids to Welsh Valley Middle School in Narberth Borough, which also lies within the LMSD boundaries. Lower Merion High School, which most Ardmore residents would attend (some get the option of choosing Harriton High School instead), also consistently ranks among the state's 10 best.

Of course, another poster here has pointed out that Philadelphia does have some very good public schools in the city, and that includes the No. 1 high school in the region - Julia Reynolds Masterman, which is also the only school in the region to make U.S. News & World Report's national top 50 - and the city's oldest high school, Central High School, which also consistently ranks in the state's top 10. If diversity is a value you value, no school in the 'burbs will match Central on that metric. (I ride past it twice daily traveling between my East Germantown home and my magazine's offices on Independence Square, and I can attest to the diversity of its students based on the bus trips I've made at school opening and dismissal times.) And while it is an exam school, if your kids are reasonably intelligent and do well on standardized tests, I'd say they have a good shot at getting into Central. (Unlike Masterman, you don't then need to win a lottery to attend Central if you pass the entrance exams.) The School District of Philadelphia has done away with middle schools; most students attend K-8 schools, then go to high school for the final four years.

Most of the best K-8 schools in the city are either wildly oversubscribed (Penn Alexander, where you have to enter a lottery to get in even if you live in its catchment) or in relatively pricey neighborhoods (Edwin Meredith, George A. McCall, Albert M. Greenfield).

I'm the resident contrarian here when it comes to recommending schools, based largely on anecdotal evidence I've collected both from reading parent evaluations on the school rating sites and from personal testimony given me by parents of children in "bad" city grade schools. (Even though I neither have nor have plans to raise children, I pay attention to the subject because of what I do for a living.) My advice to people considering schools, especially if they are considering city neighborhoods, is: Find a neighborhood you like. Then visit its local public school and assess it for yourself, just as you would a house you're considering. Household income in a school district is the strongest factor correlating to school performance, and the anecdotal evidence I've gotten suggests to me that affluent parents can get good results from "mediocre" or "bad" schools that have dedicated teaching staffs and orderly school environments (they do exist).

But if that seems daunting, there are a number of good public charter schools in the city as well. Some of them, ilke Independence Charter, are as oversubscribed as Penn Alexander, but others, like Wissahickon Charter, aren't that difficult to get into.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:44 PM

818 posts, read 491,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Those are East, not South, Asian. There's a huge difference between the two.

A better example of the type of "Asian" supermarket where the OP would find familiar foods is Apna Bazar in Bensalem, in lower Bucks County. There are a number of businesses that cater to Indian-American tastes in this part of the township. I'm not sure whether anything like it exists on the Main Line at all - my initial suspicion is it doesn't.

To the OP: Glad you've found an area you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't have dismissed Upper Darby Township (whose schools Millbourne Borough* residents also attend) out of hand; while UD's schools don't top the lists of great schools in the region, they don't stink either, and the Upper Darby School District is one of the most diverse in the Philly 'burbs. The Drexel Hill section of the township is one of the most attractive affordable residential districts in the 'burbs as well.

*Millbourne Borough, or so I've heard, is the largest majority-Sikh municipality in the country.
Affordable in terms of housing costs, sure. But not in terms of taxes. I lived in a twin in UD Twp that was 1,150 square feet. I had a postage stamp for a backyard, so the lot size wasn't all that extraordinary either. By the time I sold the house (nine years after buying), my taxes were almost $6K per year.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Affordable in terms of housing costs, sure. But not in terms of taxes. I lived in a twin in UD Twp that was 1,150 square feet. I had a postage stamp for a backyard, so the lot size wasn't all that extraordinary either. By the time I sold the house (nine years after buying), my taxes were almost $6K per year.
On a valuation of...?

That's a relevant figure to gauge the tax burden.

But yes, that does sound stiff based on what I know of sale prices in Drexel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or