U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:22 AM

14 posts, read 3,739 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

We are planning to move from Bangalore, India to Philadelphia in mid September. We have 2 kids (14 years & 10 years). My office work location would be Market St. & I am looking for the following help to settle down initially -

1. Good public schools for both the kids (9th Grade & 5th Grade)
2. Good area to stay & good apartment with Indian community (preferred) & Indian stores and restaurants
3. Preference is to stay near SEPTA to ease out commute within the city

Here is the info in the requested format -

When are you moving? Mid September 2019
Where are you coming from? Bangalore, India
Why are you moving? For work
Where will you be working? Market St.
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? NA
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Apartment with amenities (Budget $1000-1600)
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? No preference
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married. 2 kids (14 years and 10 years)
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Bustling

What do you want to be closest to? Train or subway stations and basic services
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Indian community and stores

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Craft beer

Any other help or guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Abhi

Last edited by abhinkoi; 08-12-2019 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 08:28 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,308,603 times
PA is a state for cyber schools. You can use this as a starting point as you look around. There are also private cyber schools that may be in your budget. Philadelphia itself does have good schools, but all of the good ones have lottery systems and applications where it's not a guarantee your kids could get in. The city is your best bet because of it's array of diversity. There's an area(s) in Bucks, Secane, and maybe Upper Darby. Upper Darby is kinda iffy, Secane is commutable but slightly far out, Bucks is also far out. With your budget and with 4 people in your family, you'd have to do the suburbs probably unless you're going to live in a bad neighborhood in Philly.

Upper Darby isn't known for its school district. They have a few outstanding extra curriculars if your children are into them. The other suburbs I mentioned are in respectable school districts. For such a big move, I'd start your kids off in cyber school and you'll have time to look around if you want a brick and mortar. At least with cyber, your kids are in school and definitely have access to a quality curriculum with certified teachers.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 7,465 times
I think either King of Prussia or Lansdale would be your best bet for being near an existing Indian community, good schools, and near SEPTA. Another option would be the far NE of Philly like the Bustleton neighborhood but schools would be a concern since its part of Philly school district but that far up isn't too bad from what i've heard.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:54 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,631,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
PA is a state for cyber schools. You can use this as a starting point as you look around. There are also private cyber schools that may be in your budget. Philadelphia itself does have good schools, but all of the good ones have lottery systems and applications where it's not a guarantee your kids could get in. The city is your best bet because of it's array of diversity. There's an area(s) in Bucks, Secane, and maybe Upper Darby. Upper Darby is kinda iffy, Secane is commutable but slightly far out, Bucks is also far out. With your budget and with 4 people in your family, you'd have to do the suburbs probably unless you're going to live in a bad neighborhood in Philly.

Upper Darby isn't known for its school district. They have a few outstanding extra curriculars if your children are into them. The other suburbs I mentioned are in respectable school districts. For such a big move, I'd start your kids off in cyber school and you'll have time to look around if you want a brick and mortar. At least with cyber, your kids are in school and definitely have access to a quality curriculum with certified teachers.
Oddly you don't seem to know that Secane is in Upper Darby Twp. And that "Bucks" is an entire county with 9 school districts.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM

1,188 posts, read 754,220 times
With school year starting in the next few weeks, I would recommend moving your kids after you have found a place to stay and gotten enrollment into a school. Depending on whether you have all your paperwork in order (mainly vaccination records), it can take a while to get admission into a school. The kids need not be physically present to gain admission.

The public schools in the city are not the best, to put it midly, and therefore you should consider living in the suburbs. I'm not familiar with the public transit system, but if you are working in the city your best option is to commute by train.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:58 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,575,325 times
Hi abhi, You can read this thread that I started a while back:
Asian-Indian / metro Philadelphia

Much of what is in it is probably still correct. With older kids, it is unlikely you will easily find a situation where you can live close to work and send kids to public school (for anybody, not just because you are from India). Learn about regional rail: SEPTA | Regional Rail
Learn about the Lansdale line.
Your best bet will be to live somewhere between Philly and Lansdale, on that line. There are many good school districts with access to the train stations on that line. Lansdale will probably have the higher Asian percentage, but you will do alright in many of the other school districts. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Thank you so much for your response chessimprov. I am strictly looking for public schools & Indian community nearby so that initial settling period is smoother. I understand that for office travel I need to use public transport which is fine. Thanks again for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post

Old 08-12-2019, 10:57 AM

808 posts, read 487,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Oddly you don't seem to know that Secane is in Upper Darby Twp. And that "Bucks" is an entire county with 9 school districts.

In addition to the fact that he says Secane is far out. I wouldn't exactly call an inner-ring suburb "far out." Certainly not on par with Bucks County.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Thank you bigfish1 for your response. Going by the research I have done so far, it appears that King of Prussia has large community of Indians and it is relatively closer to my office in Market St. compared to Landsdale. I think BNY Mellon is the nearest metro station which can help commute to Market St.

Any good public schools recommended in KoP?

Bustleton would be very far from what I see so I prefer KoP over Bustleton.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
I think either King of Prussia or Lansdale would be your best bet for being near an existing Indian community, good schools, and near SEPTA. Another option would be the far NE of Philly like the Bustleton neighborhood but schools would be a concern since its part of Philly school district but that far up isn't too bad from what i've heard.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 PM

514 posts, read 228,927 times
The biggest Indian community in the area is in Mercer County, NJ - Lawrence Twp, West Windsor/Plainsboro, and Robbinsville. The biggest issue here is commuting to Center City. By train, the best you can do from this area is a 15-20 min commute by car to either Trenton or West Trenton station and then an hour or so on the train into Center City. That's just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or