U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 03:32 PM

5,919 posts, read 5,331,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Explore some of Center City's 'hoods like Rittenhouse or Fitler Square or Society Hill.

I'm still shocked at how infrequently I see tourists exploring a place like Rittenhouse Square. Wander down Delancey from 18th Street to the River, etc. I live in Fitler Square and have never, to my knowledge, seen a tourist there. These are gorgeous urban spaces with their own amenities. Even Society Hill - basically a perfectly preserved 18th Century paradise - the amount of tourists you'll see on a Tuesday afternoon is minimal, and often contained to buggy riders. I rarely see tourists on the Schuylkill River Trail -w which is one of the city's best (and with the boardwalk unique) amenities.

The City does a poor job promoting itself - so these beautiful spaces - within a few blocks of the hotels where most tourists are staying - go completely unnoticed. Meanwhile, they are crawling up and down a decidely ugly stretch of Market and Chestnut East in droves.

This is typically how I travel as well. I've visited places like Paris and Madrid so many times that I've long since abandoned doing "touristy" things. I pick a neighborhood that I haven't explored yet and walk/eat/drink my way thru it for an afternoon. Experience how the locals eat/drink/live for a day.
Agreed, I still think Market Street from City Hall to 6th Street is pretty bad (minus the Southside of the 1100 block) and that is where many tourists naturally walk. That stretch of Chestnut has gotten a lot better.

There are several stunning parts of Center City that go so unnoticed. I took my friends from Greece to Philadelphia and we wandered from East to West on Delancy, Cypress, Pine, Spruce, Lombard, etc. and they were amazed at the beauty.

The city has gotten better with its marketing campaigns, but I do agree there are so many beautiful sites and streets that people often miss.

Market Street will always be a main tourist thoroughfare due to the historic sites, Reading Terminal, City Hall, hotels, etc. the city just needs to treat Market and Broad as pristine worldly avenues, which is doesn't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 08:37 AM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
I think the presence of the tourists actually helps keep the homeless coming back to that area. They're the ones giving money out to them. And the homeless know that. Some days it's worse than others - like yesterday, for instance, there were homeless sleeping all along the Convention center. I counted 8. Today...nothing.

East Market still has a LONG way to go. FDP will help but there is much on the south side of Market that needs major attention. And the homeless situation on that stretch in particular, is among the worst in the city.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:06 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Explore some of Center City's 'hoods like Rittenhouse or Fitler Square or Society Hill.

I'm still shocked at how infrequently I see tourists exploring a place like Rittenhouse Square. Wander down Delancey from 18th Street to the River, etc. I live in Fitler Square and have never, to my knowledge, seen a tourist there. These are gorgeous urban spaces with their own amenities. Even Society Hill - basically a perfectly preserved 18th Century paradise - the amount of tourists you'll see on a Tuesday afternoon is minimal, and often contained to buggy riders. I rarely see tourists on the Schuylkill River Trail -w which is one of the city's best (and with the boardwalk unique) amenities.

The City does a poor job promoting itself - so these beautiful spaces - within a few blocks of the hotels where most tourists are staying - go completely unnoticed. Meanwhile, they are crawling up and down a decidely ugly stretch of Market and Chestnut East in droves.

This is typically how I travel as well. I've visited places like Paris and Madrid so many times that I've long since abandoned doing "touristy" things. I pick a neighborhood that I haven't explored yet and walk/eat/drink my way thru it for an afternoon. Experience how the locals eat/drink/live for a day.
Interestingly enough because the double decker buses go to ESP tourists do end up in Fairmount.

Part of what I was complaining about re tourists and what get emphasised fits here. Whatever we show tourists concerns very specific points of the 18th century. For me this is ridiculous because Philadelphia is much, much more than that. We don't even point out how absolutely crucial this city was to the Union winning the Civil War. The 19th century is when this city became what many of us know and treasure.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:29 AM

4,215 posts, read 1,556,004 times
Catch the Broad Street Subway to Fairmount Stop and go to Jimmy G's Steak

Public Movie Night at Franklin Square park near Ben Franklin Bridge

Market Frankford El to 30th Street Station and explore University City Restaurants from 30th to 40th and Walnut

Catch the 125 Bus across from City Hall to King of Prussia Mall

Catch the 27 Bus across from City Hall to Plymouth Meeting Mall

Old 08-24-2019, 06:46 AM

22,627 posts, read 12,582,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Just as a plug, many of the “touristy” things, such as the Art and Rodin Museum, Constitution Hall, South Philly Barbacoa, are totally worth it.

I’d highly suggest checking out the Clark Park neighbored, an area few tourists think to visit. It is a charming park with many events, public chess, etc. After going to an event there, you can walk to the shops, bars and restaurants along Baltimore Ave. I highly suggest Dahlak for Ethiopian, Cedar Park Cafe for breakfast, and Dock Steet Brewery for local brews.
http://www.friendsofclarkpark.org/ca...in-clark-park/

Germantown is also often overlooked by visitors and it is highly historical. You can check out the rad cafe and bookstore “Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee and Books” and head out for a hike in the wild Wissahickon Park, if that’s your thing.

Enjoy!

Thank you for endorsing me!

Yes, the Spruce Hill neighborhood of University City is a nice way to spend half a day ... outstanding examples of Victorian residential architecture, some quirky shops on Baltimore Avenue, restaurants that offer Mediterranean (Aksum), Ethiopian (Dalak), Mexican (Loco Pez), Vietnamese (Vietnam Cafe), Lao-Thai (Vientiane Cafe), Indian (Desi Village), etc. Take a stroll into The Woodlands Cemetery and admire the 1794 Federal-style mansion that now serves as the cemetery headquarters and all those 19th Century monuments and grave markers. Some famous people are buried there like the Uber-rich Drexel family mausoleum, the artist Thomas Eakins, Mr. Campbell of Campbell's Soup fame, etc. There is a farmer's market in Clark Park on Saturday mornings and Thursday afternoons with Amish vendors from Lancaster County selling not only produce but other foodstuffs like baked goods, canned preserves, cut flowers, etc.

Only a few blocks away is the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. That is a fantastic place to wander about! The history, architecture, gardens, sculptures, people-watching on campus make it well worth a visit!

Old 08-24-2019, 11:39 AM

4,215 posts, read 1,556,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thank you for endorsing me!

Yes, the Spruce Hill neighborhood of University City is a nice way to spend half a day ... outstanding examples of Victorian residential architecture, some quirky shops on Baltimore Avenue, restaurants that offer Mediterranean (Aksum), Ethiopian (Dalak), Mexican (Loco Pez), Vietnamese (Vietnam Cafe), Lao-Thai (Vientiane Cafe), Indian (Desi Village), etc. Take a stroll into The Woodlands Cemetery and admire the 1794 Federal-style mansion that now serves as the cemetery headquarters and all those 19th Century monuments and grave markers. Some famous people are buried there like the Uber-rich Drexel family mausoleum, the artist Thomas Eakins, Mr. Campbell of Campbell's Soup fame, etc. There is a farmer's market in Clark Park on Saturday mornings and Thursday afternoons with Amish vendors from Lancaster County selling not only produce but other foodstuffs like baked goods, canned preserves, cut flowers, etc.

Only a few blocks away is the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. That is a fantastic place to wander about! The history, architecture, gardens, sculptures, people-watching on campus make it well worth a visit!
I dont get the appeal of that cemetery

Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 AM

31 posts, read 8,317 times
I'm not sure anybody mentioned this but what about Bartram Gardens, FDR Park, and the New Sweden historical spots? That's something I doubt very many tourists think to check out. Also, Fort Mifflin. It's one of the most important forts in the history of this country.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:50 AM

26,129 posts, read 24,898,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I dont get the appeal of that cemetery
There are trees, grass, and it's rarely busy. The people from Connecticut with grills haven't found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or