Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 11:21 AM

70 posts, read 58,492 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the future of these areas in the next 5-10 years. As Center City and the surrounding neighborhoods see revival and gentrification, what do you believe the future holds for these areas? How stable do you think that they are currently? Will Germantown ave ever see a true revival or gentrification?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times
Germantown Avenue is already seeing new construction, particularly towards the border with Mt. Airy. I was up in Germantown on Friday to see a performance, and I was surprised to see all of the holes in the ground.

East Mt. Airy also has new construction activity. I can see both Germantown and East Mt. Airy raising their respective profiles in the coming years, as there really aren't widespread "bad" areas in Northwest Philly.

I have hope for Olney, but I think that, if it ever gentrifies, then it won't happen for at least another decade. It has a ton of potential, but just isn't there yet IMO.

West Oak Lane will mostly remain stable, but I the southeastern corner of the neighborhood moving in a negative direction. One thing that would really help the neighborhood, would be a BSL extension to Cheltenham and Ogontz Avenues via Stenton and Ogontz Avenues.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:47 AM

Nice answer, I think a revitalized Germantown and Mt.Airy would be great for the city. The housing stock is beautiful and one of the best in the city yet I have heard some complain there isn't much there as far as nightlife for young professionals.

Olney is also a interesting case. It has great transportation, can be rougher in some areas but overall seems stable. Would it gentrify from the north or the south in your opinion? Because to the south there is Logan, Hunting Park, Nicetown that are in need of revitalization. Logan has nicer blocks but not really sure of the overall stability of the neighborhood.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:57 AM

121 posts, read 97,822 times
I have to agree with everything that Philliesphan2013 said and would like to add on about Olney. A little over a year ago Plan Philly wrote a really good article about the revitalization of North 5th Street through Olney. Unlike other neighborhoods closer to Center City the revitalization is not hipster/yuppie led. The revitalization of Olney has been from immigrants from all over the world. I was recently up there at one of the Colombian cafes and it was amazing.

For typical gentrification I believe that Olney has a long way to go but I do see the neighborhood on the upswing. I know that North 5th street Revitalization Project does great work. The article linked below really tells the story much better than I can.

PlanPhilly | The hottest Philly neighborhood no one is talking about

Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM

744 posts, read 774,811 times
I believe West Oak Lane will continue to slowly decline for similar reasons NE is declines; limited transit access, unattractive post war housing stock, distance from center city, aging population. I think a lot of revitalization relies on proximity to "main street" type shopping/dining options which is something WOL lacks. Ogontz is spread out and feels pretty suburban in most spots. Its most well known restaurant, relish, would look at home on the other side of Cheltenham Ave in the new Cheltenham mall. The neighborhood sometimes known as cedarbrook (and MSE will point out that its residents consider themselves to be Mt. Airy residents) may see some improvement. There have been a good number of rehabs especially in the houses closer to Stenton. That area has less attractive housing and poor transit access but is close to an attractive part of E. Mt. Airy. I would like to see some better options on Wadsworth Ave which does have more of that "main street" vibe I mentioned above.

East Mt. Airy is already pretty nice but I think housing values will continue to rise quite a bit. The main stretch on Germantown Ave between ~Mt. Pleasant and Allens lane has only a couple vacancies and has seen some recent investment. There have been several new restaurants to open including Pop Pops (which has the best pastrami in the City, if only the owners could get out of their own way), Nonna's Pizza Tavern, and the brand new Milo's Meeting House which is a vegan/vegetarian restaurant and beer garden. There is room for improvement on Chew Avenue but I would seen energy spent on the sections of Germantown Ave closer to Germantown. There are several large scale developments going up in this section, most notably the new Aldis building which I think will be great for the area. The Dogtown section (Below gorgas and between Germantown Ave and Chew) is the area most ripe for gentrification as it has the lowest property values. There have been quite a few spot rehabs and new construction and some more businesses are starting to trickle down to the lower section of Germantown ave.

Germantown will continue to see slow and steady growth IMO. I lurk in the Germantown facebook groups and to hear those people hysterically talk about Gentrification you would think Germantown was already Williamsburg 2.0. That simply is not the case. There have been a good number of spot rehabs and some apartment buildings proposed near the Mt. Airy border. Germantown is still severely lacking in non takeout food options. A few decent spots have opened recently though. Jeisy's chicken near Germantown and Chelten brings some much needed diversity to the NW Philly food scene. Uncle Bobbies in Market Square was and instant hit as was Germantown Espresso. Perhaps the biggest indicator of future Gentrification in Germantown is the opening of an Ultimo Coffee location on Wayne. A cup cake café also recently moved from the Keswick Village in Glenside to Chelten Ave where Rose petals café used to be. Much of the new development is concentrated in the areas around the Chelten and Tulpehocken train stations. I think Germantown could really use a bar that middle class people would feel comfortable going to. I know there are plans to open a Cidery (young american cider) near Germantown and Johnson. Ken Weinstein is still moving ahead with the plans to restore Wayne Junction (not sure if that is Germantown or Nicetown). I don't think the project will be successful but I hope that I am wrong.

I have less personal knowledge about Olney but I hope it doesn't gentrify too much. I think it is fascinatingly perfect the way it is.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:06 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von7philly View Post
I am interested in the future of these areas in the next 5-10 years. As Center City and the surrounding neighborhoods see revival and gentrification, what do you believe the future holds for these areas? How stable do you think that they are currently? Will Germantown ave ever see a true revival or gentrification?
There used to be a regular poster who lives in E. Mt Airy and loved it.

E. Mt Airy is probably the most stable at the moment.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:21 PM

I see Wayne Junction as the border between Nicetown and Germantown. Very thoughtful answers. Yes i agree with KansastoSouthphilly the nightlife is a worry for more stable residents.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Nice answer, I think a revitalized Germantown and Mt.Airy would be great for the city. The housing stock is beautiful and one of the best in the city yet I have heard some complain there isn't much there as far as nightlife for young professionals.

Olney is also a interesting case. It has great transportation, can be rougher in some areas but overall seems stable. Would it gentrify from the north or the south in your opinion? Because to the south there is Logan, Hunting Park, Nicetown that are in need of revitalization. Logan has nicer blocks but not really sure of the overall stability of the neighborhood.
W. Mt Airy has been stable for decades and E. Mt Airy is okay.

I know someone who lives in Logan and they're fine living there.

Logan, Ogontz, Olney have two big anchor institutions: LaSalle and Einstein Medical Center.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:03 PM

I agree West Mt.Airy is very stable. That's also a great point about Einstein and LaSalle. I can't help but wonder at times, if the revitalization of North Philly will lead to serious decline in these areas as well as others places like Northeast and along the BLVD.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I agree West Mt.Airy is very stable. That's also a great point about Einstein and LaSalle. I can't help but wonder at times, if the revitalization of North Philly will lead to serious decline in these areas as well as others places like Northeast and along the BLVD.
Well, I was just in Rhawnhurst. There's a Brazilian restaurant I like at Castor and Unruh. It looks okay there as one goes further toward Pennypack Park. I've also been to Fox Chase recently too. Looks okay as well.

Near St Martin of Tours church, off the Blvd in Oxford Circle, there is some decline but not anything I would describe as bad.

Have not been to the upper NE, Somerton or Byberry, in ages so dunno about those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia