U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 1,297 times

Advertisements

I have special need child 4 years old. Planning to move near Philadelphia area coz of work and looking for best option to continue with the services that my son i receiving currently.

All the services he is getting currently are best, I haven't had any issues with any of those at all.
He is high functioning , having speech delay, behavioral issues, getting occupational therapy and have inclusion consultant in place.
Also have TSS and BHRS working with him.

he is getting all the services and goes to special ed school for two day for therapy.
what would be the best county to move withing PA near Philadelphia to get the best for my son.

The max rent i can afford is 1200 monthly.

Not interested in crowded place as my son cant handle too much around him.

I am travelling everyday right now back and forth as we are still not able to decide which place we wanted to move.
Looking for suggestions please.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 03:29 PM

557 posts, read 404,006 times
Honestly, if you’re getting the care you need where you are, if I was you, I’d stay put. There are a TON of special needs situations in Philly and the coffers are running dry. You might have a difficult time finding the level of free support you’re receiving now.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 718,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U2015 View Post
I have special need child 4 years old. Planning to move near Philadelphia area coz of work and looking for best option to continue with the services that my son i receiving currently.

All the services he is getting currently are best, I haven't had any issues with any of those at all.
He is high functioning , having speech delay, behavioral issues, getting occupational therapy and have inclusion consultant in place.
Also have TSS and BHRS working with him.

he is getting all the services and goes to special ed school for two day for therapy.
what would be the best county to move withing PA near Philadelphia to get the best for my son.

The max rent i can afford is 1200 monthly.

Not interested in crowded place as my son cant handle too much around him.

I am travelling everyday right now back and forth as we are still not able to decide which place we wanted to move.
Looking for suggestions please.

thank you
The city of Philadelphia is the last place you want to move to with a Autistic child and a low budget. The district is cash-strapped and special education services aren't that great. I know because I taught in Philly schools for 4 years. The district will fight you tooth and nail on sending him to an approved special education school because it cost a fortune for them to pay for. The suburban counties are obviously much better on this, as they have the money and resources to provide a much higher level of services. The problem is your budget is pretty low end for a good school district. There really isn't a great answer to this.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:07 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,265,968 times
Does your child currently receive services through the local "intermediate unit?" There are such units in all areas of PA.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:16 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The city of Philadelphia is the last place you want to move to with a Autistic child and a low budget. The district is cash-strapped and special education services aren't that great. I know because I taught in Philly schools for 4 years. The district will fight you tooth and nail on sending him to an approved special education school because it cost a fortune for them to pay for. The suburban counties are obviously much better on this, as they have the money and resources to provide a much higher level of services. The problem is your budget is pretty low end for a good school district. There really isn't a great answer to this.
I think the OP said "near Philadelphia." They already have ruled out anyplace that's "too crowded," and if I understand the post right, that would rule out not only Philadelphia but a good chunk of its close-in, less affluent suburbs.

As the poster above me said, every part of the state has what's called an "intermediate unit." This is a county-level agency that provides extra support services for children attending schools in that county. Those services range from specialized subject area education to support and services for students with special needs.

This page, for instance, describes the autism services offered by the Delaware County Intermediate Unit.

All five of the Southeastern Pennsylvania counties have their own intermediate units.

But as MB1562 says above, an upper rent limit of $1200/month (is that for a 2-bedroom apartment?) will limit where the OP can live. If you want "the best for your son," B4U2015, you may find you will need to enroll your son in a private or parochial school in a community whose public schools are middling or worse. Most, but not all, of the county intermediate units also offer services for children enrolled in non-public schools in the county.

If you're looking for a place that's not too crowded with low rents, you will probably end up looking at some of the smaller towns in upper Montgomery or Chester counties. (THe less crowded parts of Bucks are IMO a little too far away to make it practical for your hubby to commute to PHL. I'm thinking places like Kennett Square in Chester County or Collegeville in Montgomery County. Both of those communities have decent school districts and areas where you may be able to find an apartment in your price range.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:19 AM

1,174 posts, read 373,574 times
Eastwick is a neighborhood near the airport. You could get Philadelphia City services. Darby and Upper Darby are good cities for you too. Of course, with these options your husband will have long commutes.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:18 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Eastwick is a neighborhood near the airport. You could get Philadelphia City services. Darby and Upper Darby are good cities for you too. Of course, with these options your husband will have long commutes.
OP, Upper Darby is a municipality within Upper Darby Township.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 AM

yes he is getting all the services in Harrisburg currently.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 AM

thank you everyone for your response.
my son is getting all the required services right now thru intermediate Unit from our county.
i am checking with them as well on the same to see what they suggest to keep up with the services.

Would smaller towns in upper Montgomery or Chester counties has best services. Anyone has any experience?
I did check some of the areas around the Airport and seems to be too expensive.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OP, Upper Darby is a municipality within Upper Darby Township.
Rather: Darby is a borough in Delaware County, and Upper Darby is a separate township a little ways to Darby's north.

Darby Borough is largely low-income, and it shares what's generally considered the worst school district in Delaware County with Yeadon, Colwyn, Lansdowne and East Lansdowne boroughs.

Upper Darby's school district is middling, but decent, and it's probably the most ethnically diverse in the county.

Both of these communities, I suspect, are more urban than what you desire. However: you will be able to find apartments within your limit in Darby and Yeadon boroughs, and probably Lansdowne too.

Also: where will your husband be working again? I was under the impression that he would be working at or near the airport, if not from the post that started this thread, then from one of the other posts you made on this board seeking the same advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia