U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2019, 03:15 PM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,662,478 times
Reputation: 3522

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von7philly View Post
Yes its quite livable throughout. Cobbs Creek is beautiful and people are taking notice. Not long ago 46th/47th was the cut off when i was graduating from high school at West Philly High. If you were to walk through CC, I think you would be surprised at the quality of the neighborhood. Annexing UD isn't a bad idea. I have always thought about those type of things to myself.
No, about annexing UD which has its own problems that we Philadelphians should not want to import into Philly.
Plus, no way in hell is it going to happen. lol. Hell, Millbourne didn't want to be part of UD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2019, 03:30 PM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,662,478 times
Reputation: 3522
Considering that the building going up at 59th and Market is shaping up very nicely, who knows, maybe others will realize there are opportunities to be had around there.

Of course being way older that most folks reading or posting, I remember when Market, 52nd and 60th were chock full of businesses.

The tallish white building on 52nd, at Ludlow, used to house the Nixon movie theater. My family saw movies there in the 1950s when I was a small child. There were stores on 60th St that we still patronized although we were in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 11:52 PM
 
4,224 posts, read 1,566,697 times
Reputation: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Considering that the building going up at 59th and Market is shaping up very nicely, who knows, maybe others will realize there are opportunities to be had around there.

Of course being way older that most folks reading or posting, I remember when Market, 52nd and 60th were chock full of businesses.

The tallish white building on 52nd, at Ludlow, used to house the Nixon movie theater. My family saw movies there in the 1950s when I was a small child. There were stores on 60th St that we still patronized although we were in the suburbs.
Going to 52nd street on a saturday for shopping and eating in 1984 was considered a big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,604 posts, read 2,739,070 times
Reputation: 3519
Year before last, a local real estate broker asked me to pick my "Hot Neighborhoods of 2020," and Cobbs Creek was one of the three I picked. The other two were Bridesburg and Germantown.

I'm not sure about those other two, but it looks like Cobbs Creek will fall into that category next year. New residential construction on spec has already taken place west of 52d Street, so it's only a matter of time before "West Philly's Main Street" regains its lost luster.

60th may take a little longer, but yes, Cobbs Creek has very strong bones and should advance nicely in the next year or two. Assuming the national economy doesn't implode, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 AM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,662,478 times
Reputation: 3522
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Going to 52nd street on a saturday for shopping and eating in 1984 was considered a big deal
Yes, agreed... things were not at all bad then. But, it was a much bigger deal when I was a kid. Of course the time I'm talking about pre-dates. malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 AM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,662,478 times
Reputation: 3522
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Year before last, a local real estate broker asked me to pick my "Hot Neighborhoods of 2020," and Cobbs Creek was one of the three I picked. The other two were Bridesburg and Germantown.

I'm not sure about those other two, but it looks like Cobbs Creek will fall into that category next year. New residential construction on spec has already taken place west of 52d Street, so it's only a matter of time before "West Philly's Main Street" regains its lost luster.

60th may take a little longer, but yes, Cobbs Creek has very strong bones and should advance nicely in the next year or two. Assuming the national economy doesn't implode, that is.
I would love to see such a revival of 52nd St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 03:44 PM
 
4,224 posts, read 1,566,697 times
Reputation: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, agreed... things were not at all bad then. But, it was a much bigger deal when I was a kid. Of course the time I'm talking about pre-dates. malls.
i think i heard cherry hill mall was the first mall in america in 1967
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,604 posts, read 2,739,070 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
i think i heard cherry hill mall was the first mall in america in 1967
Nope. The first shopping mall in the country was Southgate Center outside Detroit, which opened in 1955. Cherry Hill Mall dates to 1961.

Suburban Square in Ardmore is not considered a mall, but it's even older, dating to 1928. It's one of the oldest planned shopping centers in the country. The oldest is the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City (Mo.), begun in 1921.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 PM
 
Location: West Philly
45 posts, read 15,201 times
Reputation: 17
Just came across this article

https://westphillylocal.us4.list-man...6&e=995cf111d7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 08:08 PM
 
Location: West Philly
45 posts, read 15,201 times
Reputation: 17
About a proposed luxury apartment unit being built on 51st & Spruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top