U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 02:08 PM

501 posts, read 437,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
I’m no real estate expert, but isn’t the public school district one of the leading factors in what determines housing prices ? Yes, Lansdowne does have some beautiful, old homes, but also has a pretty crappy school district (William Penn SD). So as long as the schools remain bad it will never be an attractive place for families to move.

It is certainly one of the factors and the school district has and will continue to hold housing prices back. I think the revitalizing main street and beautiful housing will continue to attract new residents for the reason reasons that a neighborhoods like Mt. Airy continue to attract new residents despite the poor public schools. I don't think anybody is saying that house prices are going to match the mainline or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 PM

31 posts, read 8,317 times
I honestly don't even know why some of you people continue to post on certain places. It's obvious you don't go there and don't know anybody from there.

How many of you even know anybody from the William Penn School District? Anybody at all? I know quite a few.

I see Kyb continues to cluelessly bash Upper Darby. When was the last time you were even here? There's been plenty of change in Market St. I was still spending time at 69th St when you were long gone from an area you should've known better than to buy in. Nobody's fault but your own that you didn't understand the township. Stop bashing it already.

I wholeheartedly agree with Lansdowne. I've seen the change there firsthand, first bad then good. I remember when I started feeling uneasy walking from a friend's house in the middle of the night despite doing it a million times before, and I remember seeing a hipster walking his pitbull without a leash in super short canvas shorts a few years later. If you knew anybody who grew up there, you'd know that it used to be a lot sketchier and problematic.

I have always seen Lansdowne a lot like I see West Philly. It's been mixed for a long time and has always had a kind of alternative vibe to it due to that, and it's not the type of place where I think the public schools are made a big deal out of. It's just... different. Very unique for Delco. I think all of that appeals greatly to people who either would otherwise live in West Philly or who want a much smaller version of that vibe. The downtown is definitely getting built up, too. I remember when the area around the train tracks was largely boarded up and things were getting much worse near the borders with Yeadon and East Lansdowne. Now that's the general area people are moving to because it's more urban and built up with apartments and businesses.

I think Lansdowne is genuinely the most unique part of the Philadelphia area outside the city limits because of this. It's always been like a small town plopped in the middle of these industrial communities with a small industrial section near where it borders Yeadon, Fernville, and East Lansdowne. Clifton Heights has also always had a small town vibe but in a much different way. The people who grow up there or live there a long time tend to associate with people from Clifton Heights. People never really went to Lansdowne or Aldan or even Drexel Hill for the most part. Even now, there's that feeling of insularity and isolation. Lansdowne on the other hand has for a long time associated with both Yeadon and East Lansdowne, and if you want to understand that area then you have to view it all as a single area. That kind of inclusivity gives the place a completely different feel from its western and southern neighbors.

Funny thing about Yeadon is it very slowly seems to be becoming a bit of a haven again for black professionals to my now completely out of the loop self. For whatever reason, I've come across LinkedIn profiles of multiple black professionals within a certain area who are new to the city and live there. That really shouldn't surprise anybody given that Yeadon has really stayed a place for middle and working class black families this whole time despite the issues that started around the 2000s. I think that place would be less misunderstood if more people actually got to know more people from there or people there had a blog or independent paper or something. It's not some destination or anything but it is nothing like Darby/Colwyn.

The problem with William Penn is Darby and Aldan. Darby is extremely post-industrial and being overtaken by Southwest Philly, and Aldan is the type of place where people basically act like they wish they lived in the hood. It's ridiculous. They have a lot of pretty decent suburban homes yet a good number of people treat the place like it's hood. Nowhere near the pride in the community present in nearby Clifton Heights or Lansdowne. Aldan will continue to get worse, and then all of the people wanting to act that way will be thrilled. Darby on the other hand has great bones and for a long time had a very strong community but Floyd and the loss of industry has killed that. Such a shame. That's not to say the largely African (specifically Liberian) community there now isn't equally as strong or anything. It's just the lack of jobs and surrounding area has dealt a huge blow to the borough that it's hard to see it coming back from anytime soon.

Based on all of this, I say Lansdowne has the most potential based on the vibe, access to Center City, proximity to West Philly, and the housing stock and downtown. Media probably has the most potential as far as being built up, the potential for being built up, and the school district go. There's nowhere else west of the city with that much potential imo. Upper Darby can be built up a lot more with infill in the many underused industrial/commercial parcels and building up the downtown but little else beyond that, and West Chester is already getting built up like crazy as are the Main Line and surrounding areas. The rest of the candidates in that area are all north of the city and thus not worth mentioning in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or