U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM

23 posts, read 7,946 times

Advertisements

For $320k and a decent sized yard, you'll have to balance the importance of commute time vs. size/style of your house vs. strength of school district among others. Using different price thresholds on Zillow is a good way to visualize different clusters of affordability. ie) Set the max for sale price at $100k and see where large clusters of listings are. Conversely, set the minimum price to $1 million + and see where the listings fall. It's a good way to at least learn the geography of the housing stock and may help you narrow down some areas of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 PM

1,434 posts, read 783,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Also, I really dont think it is gray. I walk quite a bit for exercise, and rarely thought of it as being all that gray.
It's really not. I've lived in New England (18 years), NYC (13) , & NJ (1 year just outside Philly) and all get quite a bit of sun in winter and nothing I would consider dreary in the slightest. If you want to talk about grey and cloudy come out to the PNW lol...the sun is a rare site here from fall through spring. 2016 we had just 2 days of sun between October and March and over 200 days of rain.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:34 AM

4,534 posts, read 6,102,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
It's really not. I've lived in New England (18 years), NYC (13) , & NJ (1 year just outside Philly) and all get quite a bit of sun in winter and nothing I would consider dreary in the slightest. If you want to talk about grey and cloudy come out to the PNW lol...the sun is a rare site here from fall through spring. 2016 we had just 2 days of sun between October and March and over 200 days of rain.
It's not really about sun. And BTW, I used to same the same thing when I lived in Philly...what are these people talking about, it's not gray here! After you've lived in FL for awhile though, it definitely feels it and I'm not the only one who feels that way...it was a topic of discussion by the group of Eagles fans behind me in the plane up for the Super Bowl parade. On the other hand, I was there in May and the spring colors and fields of yellow were gorgeous.

Speaking of which, yes to whoever said potholes. When I was there in May, I could not believe the condition of the roads, and that was all over the place -- Philly, Montgomery, Delaware and Bucks counties. Were they always that way and I just never noticed? Or are they particularly bad these days? I was in a rental SUV with 20" wheels and it felt every pothole!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It's not really about sun. And BTW, I used to same the same thing when I lived in Philly...what are these people talking about, it's not gray here! After you've lived in FL for awhile though, it definitely feels it and I'm not the only one who feels that way...it was a topic of discussion by the group of Eagles fans behind me in the plane up for the Super Bowl parade. On the other hand, I was there in May and the spring colors and fields of yellow were gorgeous.

Speaking of which, yes to whoever said potholes. When I was there in May, I could not believe the condition of the roads, and that was all over the place -- Philly, Montgomery, Delaware and Bucks counties. Were they always that way and I just never noticed? Or are they particularly bad these days? I was in a rental SUV with 20" wheels and it felt every pothole!
Freeze/thaw? Bigger variations in temperatures? I no longer drive so, personally, I could care less about roads.

The humidity ,which I can barely stand in Philly, is something that would not allow me to live in FL. I've been to Miami, Orlando and Boca Raton.

The difference in latitude explains the difference in sun exposure between FL and PA.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:24 PM

27 posts, read 145,909 times
I lived in Jacksonville for 30 years (first in Orange Park, then Avondale) and have lived in Philly for 3 years.

The only thing I regret about my move here is that I didn't do it sooner.

There are some things I miss about Jax:
-The beach (sorry guys, but the Jersey Shore stinks in comparison, yes, even Cape May).
-The long stretch of gray days in the winter time. I thought SAD was a thing Yankees fabricated. Not so. The winters in Philly are gray and dreary, and sun sets at 4:30pm in December. That was a big adjustment for me.
-Florida / Georgia weekend.
-The Riverwalk.
-A river that is blue and not bronzed colored.
-Lower taxes
-The donut shop in Arlington

That said, I LOVE my adopted city.
You can't beat the Philly with its museums, sports teams, craft beer, restaurants, theater, and nightlife.

The outdoor life here is also fabulous. I live right by the Wissahickon and am there at least once a week. The Poconos are a short drive. Ironically, I am more active here than I was in Jax since I'm not dealing with heat indexes of 100+ 5 months of the year.

Snow really hasn't been that bad since I moved here. I have gladly traded it for hurricane season. September went from a month I dreaded (the height of hurricane season), to a month I look forward to with the changing of the seasons.

And the people. Can't praise them enough. Yes, they tell you what they are thinking with no edit button. To me, there's a beauty to knowing where you stand with someone. It beats the insincere "bless your hearts" I received in Jax. The Philly people may be rough around the edges, but they will help you in a pinch and give you the shirt off their backs.

For some context, I started off living in Erdenheim (burbs) then moved to Chestnut Hill. I do frequent center city when I can. I’m a 47 year old female.

Good luck and hope it’s as easy a transition for you as it was for me.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 1,445 times
I moved from Jax about 8 months ago. I lived in Jax for 5 years and moved to Philly for a job. While I grew up in NY and stayed until I was 30, I’ve lived in Florida for about 16 years. (I’m 46). First Tampa, then Orlando, then Jax.
I’ll be honest. I’m not a fan of Philly and don’t imagine myself living here for longer than 2-3 years, but I have discovered some things aren’t so bad. I drive into Center City everyday and I take local roads (MLK) in. It normally takes me about 30 mins. 45 mins in rainy weather. I haven’t taken the train yet but I imagine it’s probably a lot easier, I just like driving in.
The food here is amazing. And the people aren’t bad. I’m used to the directness of people (I’m a NY-er) but I can’t stand straight out rudeness and that doesn’t matter where I live. I love that there’s always something to get into in terms of festivals, etc especially if you have children. (Which I don’t). I’ve had to travel to both NY and DC on business and I love the quickness of the train to get around.

The roads here are HORRIBLE. That’s one of the first things I noticed.
Be prepared for higher taxes, higher housing, higher everything. And I had to reconcile that I won’t get more for my money like I did in Florida. And I’m not looking forward to the winter. Because I truly dislike the cold. LOL. I do agree with another poster that it is gray and dreary in the winter. And that’s tough when you come from sunny skies all the time. The summer was great and it was beautiful most days.

So all in all - I’m here due to a good job opportunity but I will also say I miss Florida a lot. So it’s really finding what trade offs are worth it (hot temp vs cold temps, etc).
Good luck!

Old 10-19-2019, 09:11 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
masstoflor: If both of the statements below are true:
  • "Schools are important" (from your initial post)
  • You have a top target sale price of $320k (from your questionnaire answer)
you will be somewhat constrained in your housing choices or will have to make some tradeoffs.

Decent houses for $320k or less are scarce in the region's top-ranked school districts. Your odds of finding a house in that price range will be higher in some of the good districts below the top tier, like Springfield (Delaware County).

If diversity is also something you seek, you may wind up settling in Drexel Hill. That's generally considered the most attractive residential neighborhood in Upper Darby Township, the state's most populous township (82,000), whose school district is considered middle-of-the-pack but is also the most ethnically diverse in the Philly 'burbs. Your kid will get a decent education in UD schools - and your property taxes will shoot through the roof (they're higher in Upper Darby than in most other suburbs, and they're higher in most suburbs than they are in the city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia