U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 AM
 
42 posts, read 21,841 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

If you have moved from Jacksonville, FL to Philadelphia, how has your life compared? Which suburb is suitable for a young family with a child? Prices are definitely higher in Philly area. So, where do people live if they work at the colleges (Bryn Mawr, etc.) Schools are important. Any advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:24 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,075 posts, read 1,088,073 times
Reputation: 2012
You might get J'ville-specific replies, but it's always best to fill out the form found at Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information. and post your replies.
Also, if you're going to be working at Bryn Mawr (or any college, for that matter), you can always ask for housing ideas from the college's HR department (or your future co-workers in the department in which you'll be working).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 01:47 PM
 
42 posts, read 21,841 times
Reputation: 25
Where are you coming from?*Jacksonville, FL
Why are you moving? Work
Have you been here yet?*Only for a day

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo?*How much can you spend? House, under $320k

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, almost 2-year-old
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Quiet around immediate neighbourhood, activity within a short drive

What do you want to be closest to? Grocery, Nature, Work (preferably within 15 miles from work)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,534 posts, read 6,104,182 times
Reputation: 7534
I saw your post both here and on the JAX forum. I'm from Philly and now in Bradenton for six years. Of course I'm a homer and think Philly is one of the best cities ever. It's a big city with the community spirit of a small town. When I meet people here from Philly, they never say they left because they hated the city -- it's usually just the cold weather and wanting to live in a warmer climate. But if you're originally from MA, you already know cold weather.

Things I miss about Philly: All the amenities of a big city (top-notch healthcare, culture, upscale restaurants, theater, major sports teams, the Eagles, diversity, pizza, Italian bread, proximity to NY, DC, mountains and "the shore", historic buildings and architecture, neighborhoods, the passionate people, my family and friends.

Things I don't miss about Philly: The cold and snow, the grayness (which I never noticed until I lived here and then traveled back)...that's about it.

I've lived in quite a few different places in Montgomery, Delaware and Chester counties. I found Delaware County was the most convenient to getting into the city. Might be good for your price range too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 03:08 PM
 
1,220 posts, read 3,575,325 times
Reputation: 307
Not from Florida, but I lived many years one state up. I am happy that we decided to move to the Philadelphia area 5+ years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 03:14 PM
 
1,220 posts, read 3,575,325 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I saw your post both here and on the JAX forum. I'm from Philly and now in Bradenton for six years. Of course I'm a homer and think Philly is one of the best cities ever. It's a big city with the community spirit of a small town. When I meet people here from Philly, they never say they left because they hated the city -- it's usually just the cold weather and wanting to live in a warmer climate. But if you're originally from MA, you already know cold weather.

Things I miss about Philly: All the amenities of a big city (top-notch healthcare, culture, upscale restaurants, theater, major sports teams, the Eagles, diversity, pizza, Italian bread, proximity to NY, DC, mountains and "the shore", historic buildings and architecture, neighborhoods, the passionate people, my family and friends.

Things I don't miss about Philly: The cold and snow, the grayness (which I never noticed until I lived here and then traveled back)...that's about it.

I've lived in quite a few different places in Montgomery, Delaware and Chester counties. I found Delaware County was the most convenient to getting into the city. Might be good for your price range too.

Coming from the south, I actually think four seasons in the northeast is a form of free entertainment! And I think winter is a lot about how you manage it. Snow flakes is among the prettiest things you can see. And entering a ski place (which I dont participate in much) is often like entering a different world!

I think MA is notch higher in the cold spectrum. I have read some one refer to it as being more influenced by Canada's weather system (?)

Also, I really dont think it is gray. I walk quite a bit for exercise, and rarely thought of it as being all that gray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,534 posts, read 6,104,182 times
Reputation: 7534
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Coming from the south, I actually think four seasons in the northeast is a form of free entertainment! And I think winter is a lot about how you manage it. Snow flakes is among the prettiest things you can see. And entering a ski place (which I dont participate in much) is often like entering a different world!

I think MA is notch higher in the cold spectrum. I have read some one refer to it as being more influenced by Canada's weather system (?)

Also, I really dont think it is gray. I walk quite a bit for exercise, and rarely thought of it as being all that gray.
Oh, I agree Philly is more temperate than many other cities. Winter temps are usually 30s and 40s. As you know, snowfalls vary season to season -- some winters are brutal with one storm after another (78" in 2009-10), then others, hardly anything (4" the following winter!). I wasn't discouraging the poster due to the cold, I am saying for me personally, I can't take the cold anymore....I am OLD.

If you live around year-round sunshine, palm trees, lush vegetation and turquoise water, it does look dreary when you come up North in winter, just a fact of life. And the OP is coming from Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 01:36 PM
 
9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh, I agree Philly is more temperate than many other cities. Winter temps are usually 30s and 40s. As you know, snowfalls vary season to season -- some winters are brutal with one storm after another (78" in 2009-10), then others, hardly anything (4" the following winter!). I wasn't discouraging the poster due to the cold, I am saying for me personally, I can't take the cold anymore....I am OLD.

If you live around year-round sunshine, palm trees, lush vegetation and turquoise water, it does look dreary when you come up North in winter, just a fact of life. And the OP is coming from Florida.
Tons of humidity(in the parts of FL I've been to) , chance of a hurricane every hurricane season so it balances out imo.

And, I'm sure you remember having crystal clear blue skies in winter in Phila; it's not always cloudy/gray. In fact the day of the Eagles Superbowl parade was just that kind of day. You were there as I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,534 posts, read 6,104,182 times
Reputation: 7534
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Tons of humidity(in the parts of FL I've been to) , chance of a hurricane every hurricane season so it balances out imo.

And, I'm sure you remember having crystal clear blue skies in winter in Phila; it's not always cloudy/gray. In fact the day of the Eagles Superbowl parade was just that kind of day. You were there as I recall.
Yes I was! And yep, it was a clear gorgeous sunny day. It didn't matter that it was 30 degrees, I was on Cloud Nine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Phila
502 posts, read 879,694 times
Reputation: 598
Not from Jax, but lived in the south and have family south of Jax. 4 seasons is nice.


Be prepared for higher cost of living, high property tax, higher gasoline, higher housing costs, tolls, etc etc.
The biggest difference might be how long it takes to travel around. You can pretty much count on at least 3 min/mile avg. on any route that is not a highway during off-peak hours. Many neighborhoods are cut off/divided by rail lines/highways/terrain/parks, oddly routed roads, etc and the infrastructure is totally inadequate for the number of commuters. I would really recommend not living 15 miles from where you work in This area. Similar travel time to what you're used to is going to at least double. Study the maps. Visit and drive during busy rush hour. Avoid having to ever use I-76 into Philly for regular commute other than late evenings. A 6 mile commute on the outskirts of the city, is routinely 25-30 min drive at rush hours (assuming no bad weather or accidents).



two words POT HOLES



That said. Assuming you're working on the Main line, look at living where you can commute to work via train, if not living relatively close to work. Spend some time here getting acquainted with areas you're considering. There's no substitute for boots on the ground. Rent for at least 6-12 mos before you decide to buy. Good housing stock is selling in days in good neighborhoods now anyway and it's really difficult to buy remotely (I learned the hard way) when you have a sellers market.


Consider Areas from Conshohocken to Media for starters
Devon, Radnor, Narberth, Ardmore, Broomall, Drexel Hill and surrounding neighborhoods depending on what kid of housing/neighborhood you want. You could extend that further west if you commute via rail.


Worth noting, neighboring Gladwynne is one of the wealthiest zip codes in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top