U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:31 PM

21 posts, read 9,213 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, my husband just got new job in Philly (penn Square if that helps) He's supposed to start in October. We currently live outside of Mobile Alabama and know nothing about the area. I've gotten some good advice on here about housing but I really need some help with commute. My husband is willing to commute up to and hour and we really like the housing options in more rural/ suburban areas. He is willing to use public trans since his job will pay up to $260 a month for it. Here are the cities we have been looking at.

Sellersville pa
Morgantown
Downington
Doyleston
Landenberg
Avondale
Kenneth square
Lincoln university
Springfield
Oxford
Chester county
Chad FOrd
Exton
Unionville

Are any of these good options? whats the commute like? is there public trans near by or doable? we want good school since we have little ones, and preferably some acreage to our home. Downington has been our favorite as well as Morgantown, and landenberg in terms of housing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 10:02 AM

501 posts, read 437,391 times
Sellersville pa - no train station, would likely have to drive to a station on the Lansdale/Doylestown line. Will definitely be more an hour.

Morgantown -this is in Berks county. Not even the Philadelphia MSA. Will be way more than an hour.

Downington - has a train station - Ride will be about an hour and ten minutes.

Doyleston - has a train station very end of the line. Ride will be at least an hour and fifteen minutes sometimes longer.

Landenbergm - no train, will have to drive quite a distance to get to one, commute will be well over an hour

Lincoln U/Oxford - no septa station, will have to drive to one. Well over an hour commute.
Avondale

Kenneth square - no train, though they are planning on restoring service to wawa pa which is about 7 miles away.

Springfield - There are two spring fields. One is in Delaware county and one in Montgomery county. Both would have commutes under an hour. Springfield montgomery county is nicer (IMHO) but is closer to the city though there are some quasi rural looking areas nearby.

Chadds Ford - no train. would likely need to drive to wawa when it is restored and to elwyn in the meantime. The typical train ride from Elwyn will be ~50 minutes or so.

Exton - has a train station. Ride will be about an hour from exton.

Unionville - same as chads ford.

Chester county - this a whole county. Many of the towns you listed are in chester county. The towns with the shortest commutes will also be the least rural.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:07 AM

THANK YOU! I appreciate you taking the time to answer this for me. Very helpful!

Old 08-28-2019, 10:21 AM

514 posts, read 228,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Doyleston - has a train station very end of the line. Ride will be at least an hour and fifteen minutes sometimes longer.
Doylestown is not rural in any sense of the word. It is a typical suburban small town, but there will not be large lots ("acreage") in Doylestown really at all, but especially not on a $475k budget. The homes that OP is looking for will be north of Doylestown (in Plumsteadville or Dublin or something). The commute from there will be closer to an hour and a half or more.

There is a fundamental problem here. OP has given us 3 critical conditions:

1. Rural with land
2. $475k budget
3. Under an hour commute

There is basically nowhere in the entire region that will meet all three requirements simultaneously, so at least one will have to be relaxed. It is possible to meet two of the three. Some places mentioned like Morgantown will have land available in the budget range but are well over an hour commute. Somewhere like Cheltenham is well within the commute time and has homes in the budget range, but is an inner ring suburb that is not rural at all. Finally, if you have enough money, of course you can meet all of your needs. A home with at least 2 acres in Newtown Twp where I live is going to require a $1m budget or more. Newtown is at the edge of the 1 hour commute ring, and land in closer will be even more.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 AM

Also we would prefer PA, but does anyone know anything about Swedesboro NJ? safety, school, commute etc?

Old 08-29-2019, 06:06 AM

7,188 posts, read 7,594,780 times
1) OP, please put the "wants" that NewtownBucks listed in post #4 your preference/priority order.

2) Also:
-- just how much land do you want? What's your absolute minimum vs. your desire or preference? 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, 1 acre -- or 5 or 10?
-- could you increase your budget? IF so, how much?
-- is an hour the absolute outside commute time -- including traffic or public transit delays?
-- when will he be commuting? how early/how late? what time of day in the morning or afternoon?

Personally I always recommend against a longer commute. But he's your husband, not mine.
I had a co-worker whose wife let him drive from Philly to DC every day. And there's no way I would have put that on my husband....1) because it was exhausting/frustrating for him....and 2) I'd worry he'd be too tired/sleepy for the drive one day. But what the heck. There are people who commute 2 hours each way every day.....

I mention the traffic/transit delays, because in the DC area -- literally -- where the same commute can take 45 minutes one day, and an hour and 15 minutes (or more) the next. And it happens a lot....very unpredictable time wise. Well, it's predictable that a commute that should take her a half hour, never does?

Philly traffic isn't as bad, but the farther out you are, the more time for unknowns you have to allow for.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by selhars; 08-29-2019 at 06:14 AM..

Old 08-29-2019, 07:00 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieb226 View Post
Also we would prefer PA, but does anyone know anything about Swedesboro NJ? safety, school, commute etc?
On living in South Jersey in general:

--Property taxes will likely be higher than they would be in a comparable community in Pennsylvania. This will be offset somewhat in a number of cases by lower purchase prices. Regardless which state you decide to settle in, check the property taxes in the community you're interested in, for those will also factor into your monthly payment along with the homeowners' insurance premiums.

--Unless you take up residence in one of the following communities:

Atco
Bordentown
Beverly
Burlington
Camden (which I'm sure you won't)
Cherry Hill
Collingswood

Delanco
Florence
Haddon Township
Haddonfield

Hamilton
Hammonton
Lawnside
Lindenwold

Palmyra
Pennsauken
Princeton
Riverside
Riverton
Roebling
Trenton
Voorhees
West Windsor Township

your commute will consist either of riding a New Jersey Transit bus or a drive on one or more of the following highways: the Atlantic City Expressway, I-295, I-676, US 30, US 130, NJ 38, NJ 42, NJ 73, and maybe NJ 90 (a short freeway that runs between NJ 73 in Pennsauken and the Betsy Ross Bridge).

The communities in italics are served by or close to stations on the PATCO Lindenwold Line rapid transit line. Atco, Hamilton, Hammonton, Princeton, Trenton and West Windsor Township all have NJ Transit commuter rail stations located within them; Atco and Hammonton (plus Cherry Hill and Lindenwold) are on the Atlanti City Rail Line, which runs into 30th Street Station; all the others are on the River Line light rail, which runs from Trenton to Camden. Transfers can be made to trains to Philadelphia at either end of this line: in Trenton, to SEPTA's Trenton Line Regional rail route, and in Camden, to PATCO at Walter Rand Transportation Center (Broadway station). There are two large park-and-ride train stations: Woodcrest, on PATCO, which has direct access from I-295, and Pennsauken Route 73, where the River Line crosses that highway. Parking is also available at every PATCO station from Ferry Avenue to Lindenwold.

The highways in italics are freeways. All the others are six-lane arterial highways, which have stoplights and jughandle ramps for left turns.

None of the communities I've listed I would consider rural save Hammonton, but you can find houses on large lots in some of them, and others (e.g, Burlington, Roebling, Atco and Hammonton) have rural areas just outside them.

Because the buses are by and large local, I wouldn't recommend them for your husband's commute.

There are some other communities located within easy driving distance of the ones listed above that you might want to consider.

I can't tell you that much about Swedesboro per se, except that from there, you could commute to Philadelphia via US 322, the Commodore Barry Bridge, and I-95.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 AM

590 posts, read 435,121 times
It’s not possible to live 50+ miles outside of Center City Philadelphia and have an hour(ish) commute. This area isn’t like Mobile (I’ve been there numerous times) where that is possible. The Philadelphia metro area has significantly more residents than the entire state of Alabama and the traffic congestion that goes with that fact. Your gun requirements complicates things further. It’s ultimately up to you but you have to make a choice. Either live far outside the city in the actual country and have your husband endure a brutal commute or live closer to the city and have a more manageable commute. There are no other options.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:13 AM

7,188 posts, read 7,594,780 times
There TWO threads on what's basically the same topic by the same person.

They need to be merged.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:32 PM

I apologize I've never used this forum before. I do not know how to merge the post, but I do appreciate everyone's help and input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or